Ithrynluin
seeker of solace
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2002
- Messages
- 4,602
I think you've seen me use it! Give me points too!!
I can vouch for that. Cough up the points, Turgon! :*D

I think you've seen me use it! Give me points too!!
This is an old thread that I just found....but I must say that Glorfindel is better (surprise surprise right?). Anyway...I say it because Glorfindel actually meant to kill his balrog, Ecthelion just got his spiked head stuck in THE balrog and they both ended up drowning...and the whole city fell anyway, so what good was that? Glorfindel, on the other hand, slew a balrog that allowed the refugees to get away (Turin Turambar and Elwing included, 2 of the most important figures in the Sil). Also, Glorfindel rescued/protected Frodo from the Black Riders at the ford. What more do you need? So there you have it, Glorfindel is the best!
HoME 12; Last Writings
Near equality with the Maia is no mean feat. Thius it is probable that after re-incarnation Glorfindel was the more powerful Elf.
Ecthelion drowned in the fountain with Gothmog.What a pointless exercise. They are both heroes. Ecthelion lived and returned to the Undying Lands. Glorfindel perished but was sent from the Halls of Mandos to aid Elrond against the Foe.
Hail them both.
Granted I don't know Ecthelion, so I'd like to say this makes him the greatest as well but at what point would we stop using this as an argument?I think there was a reason that HE of all Elves was sent back to Middle Earth, to aid Elrond and Gandalf. That speaks of his greatness.
Not sure where this scene would be found, but the Witch King and all nine riders fled into the river and got swept away by it, when Glorfindal, 'revealed in his wrath', came at them (with Aragorn) as Frodo made his escape into Rivendell.
Morally. Though being morally greater than Fëanor isn't exactly an achievement.
I'm very glad these never got complete integrated. The idea of only 3 Balrogs is depressing. The number of Maiar was never massive but I never conceived of it as being THAT small. That makes, what?, 4 Maiar in Melkor's service? 7 is more acceptable but I still prefer somewhere in the teens.And sadly, the updated, long prose Fall of Gondolin [early 1950s] was abandoned before any balrogs appear. Then we have Tolkien's note that possibly only three Balrogs, or at most seven,
Although JRR only gives a few examples I always thought of Maia of having a huge number. But most of them would be busy doing invisible things. Angels don't seem to be a tiny group by most reckonings.
Melkor did have many Maiar in his service.always thought of Maia of having a huge number.
many were drawn to his splendour
corrupted afterwards to his service with lies and treacherous gifts