• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Halloween Movies 🎃

Yeah, that's not the episode I was thinking of, I don't think. There was one where they went to a haunted/spooky mansion and to make it "spookier" things flew into the camera like spiders or bats and things, it's of course just silly but still one I always liked. Can't seem to remember the episode though.
 
You're probably thinking of this one -- things were flying at the camera because it was made in 3D:

That broadcast likely works if you can locate the right colored glasses! 😁

But it's available from Amazon too. I believe they made more than one in that early 3D process.
 
It might be but I remember it seemed like they literally had like a bat on a string that actually flew into the camera lens to make it "creepy" I'll watch this one too though 😉.

Edit: yup that seems like it's it, I just never saw it in actual 3d
 
tumblr_ntceu2y77r1qdm4tlo1_r1_500.gif
 
OMG... I love threads on scary/suspenseful/creepy movies ....
OK, two thumbs up to everyone who mentioned the following movies which, to some degree or other, rank pretty high with me.
And any of them that nobody mentioned, well, obviously I'm recommending them 🙂
And the order that I've listed them in no way indicates my preference or degree of scariness.
-
Village of the Damned (original one, 1960, w/ George Sanders actually playing a good guy😄)
FYI this is a pretty faithful adaptation of the story The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham (highly recommended )

House on Haunted Hill (w/ Vincent Price)

Fright Night (first one w/ Roddy McDowell and Chris Sarandon) Cheesy but I like it because of the way R-McD character ( a two bit TV actor) masters his "not wanting to get involved" timidity and rises to the heroic.

Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920 Silent Version)

Freaks (1932)

Invisible Man (1933 with Claude Raines in the title role**)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original 1956)

The Thing from Another World (1951, not the Carpenter remake)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (the one with Gary Oldman and, w/o checking, I think Coppola directed. It is also the one imo most faithful to the book )

Night of the Demon (which made it into Martin Scorsese's list of the top 10 scariest movies), The Studio forced the writer and director to actually include and show a monster, and it's cheesy (the monster). But it doesn't happen until the very end and, surprisingly, does not detract at all from the story. Where the movies excels is in its suspenseful mood. Based on a 1911 short story (in itself very good) The Casting of the Runes by M.R. James.

Rosemary's Baby (The book is scarier)

The Innocents (1961)... based on the story The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (book is very good)

Carnival Of Souls (1962)

The Creature from the Black Lagoon (was that a Hammer film?...can't recall),

The Haunting (1963... and book [The Haunting of Hill House] by Shirley Jackson is far scarier. I read it about every three years, and every time I sleep with the light on for about a week 😬. And I only watch the movie in daylight😬😬) Surprised that no one mentioned it.

Ettington Park House (now a Hotel) was used for the exterior shots.
Director Robert Wise shot the movie in B&W... didn't have to, but like Hitchcock, he knew that B&W very often makes for better suspense.

Ettington Park house.jpg




**Science Fiction Double Feature
Michael Rennie was ill
The day the Earth stood still
But he told us where we stand
And Flash Gordon was there
In silver underwear
Claude Rains was The Invisible Man.

Then something went wrong
For Fay Wray and King Kong
They got caught in a celluloid jam.
Then at a deadly pace
It came from outer Space
And this is how the message ran:

Science fiction double feature
Doctor X will build a creature
See androids fighting Brad and Janet
Anne Francis stars in Forbidden Planet
At the late night, double feature, picture show.

I knew Leo G. Carroll
Was over a barrel
When Tarantula took to the hills
And I really got hot
When I saw Janette Scott
Fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills.

Dana Andrews said prunes
Gave him the runes
And passing them used lots of skills
But when worlds collide
Said George Pal to his bride
I'm gonna give you some terrible thrills.

Like a Science fiction double feature
Doctor X will build a creature
See androids fighting Brad and Janet
Anne Francis stars in Forbidden Planet
At the late night, double feature, picture show.

I wanna go,
To the late night, double feature, picture show
By R.K.O.,
To the late night, double feature, picture show
In the back row,
To the late night, double feature, picture show
 
Last edited:
No, Universal

Carnival of Souls and House on Haunted Hill are a couple of my favorites but I've seen all that you mentioned and like them all!
So, I've asked other people who like House on Haunted Hill this question, and now I'm asking you...
Did you ever get the impression that Vincent Price was hamming it up, just a bit?
He loved to ham and was very good at it, keeping it subtle, never letting it degenerate into slapstick (except when he played Egghead on the old Batman series w/ Adam West in the 60s... and then he was given free rein)
 
So, I've asked other people who like House on Haunted Hill this question, and now I'm asking you...
Did you ever get the impression that Vincent Price was hamming it up, just a bit?
He loved to ham and was very good at it, keeping it subtle, never letting it degenerate into slapstick (except when he played Egghead on the old Batman series w/ Adam West in the 60s... and then he was given free rein)
I'd say yes and also being the amazing actor he was, it fit in the movie really well. He's definitely one of my favorites.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top