• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How did Samwise know about Boromirs death?

well, actually the book makes perfect sense, why change it to be "more" perfect???

/sacarsm off
 
Originally posted by spelling master
well, actually the book makes perfect sense, why change it to be "more" perfect???

/sacarsm off

Whoops, I forgot to turn my sarcasm off as well... :rolleyes:

I've said that very thing several times, spelling master. (Although apparently not a master of capitalization!) ;)

What I was referring to was how you 'retreated' to the books when what you thought to be a contradiction was found logical. When you go to the books I stop arguing and that's boring. ;)
 
Originally posted by Gandalf White
What I was referring to was how you 'retreated' to the books when what you thought to be a contradiction was found logical. When you go to the books I stop arguing and that's boring. ;)

since when have i ever given the FADS credit for being logical??? You fear my "retreat" to the book since you know it would be futille to argue against the well-thought out script from tolkien
 
Originally posted by spelling master
since when have i ever given the FADS credit for being logical???
You never have, but perhaps that's because you yourself are illogical.

You fear my "retreat" to the book since you know it would be futille to argue against the well-thought out script from tolkien
Well d'oh!!! At last you figure it out. Tolkien is the Master, anything PJ does is inferior. (No sarcasm)

You fear my "retreat" to the book
Rather, I scorn your retreat to the book. You are unable to debate the movie as a movie without falling back upon the superior literature. :rolleyes:
 
Originally posted by Gandalf White
You are unable to debate the movie as a movie without falling back upon the superior literature.
I can't speak for s.m., but you know there are plenty of us who do just that - debating film as film.
 
Originally posted by joxy
I can't speak for s.m., but you know there are plenty of us who do just that - debating film as film.

Well, I was talking to spelling master, who I find unable to do so. (As evidenced by this thread.)

My hat's off to those who do, although I believe that occasion is rare.
 
the films are so bad as film storywise that its impratical to discuss it as film by itself, only when highlighting the book as an example of what to include and what not can u appreciate how bad jackson' attempts have ben.

i have mentioned that the "Brotherhood of the Wolf" cinematically is the real LOTR if you just go by the themes, the technology, the soundtrack, the landscape and even the language.

Only, the names of people are different, names of places are different, different eras different worlds.

but of course if i were to compare "brotherhood" to JAckson's LOTR most people would have gotten confused, so tolkien's LOTR is a better choice
 
Shot! In the foot!

Originally posted by spelling master
the films are so bad as film storywise that its impratical to discuss it as film by itself, only when highlighting the book as an example of what to include and what not can u appreciate how bad jackson' attempts have ben.

i have mentioned that the "Brotherhood of the Wolf" cinematically is the real LOTR if you just go by the themes, the technology, the soundtrack, the landscape and even the language.

Only, the names of people are different, names of places are different, different eras different worlds.

but of course if i were to compare "brotherhood" to JAckson's LOTR most people would have gotten confused, so tolkien's LOTR is a better choice

If the films are as bad storywise as you claim, then you would enjoy discussing them merely as film because of all the chances you would have to discredit and make fun of them. However, as shown, you are unable to do so, giving rise to the fact that while they are not adaptations they are fundamentally solid stories. Even joxy does not hold this point of view, I'm sure.

What do you mean by the BotW cinematically is the 'real' LotR? I've never seen it, but I know that LotR has better technology and can't see how destroying a ring and claiming kingship have anything to do with chasing a wolf while hiring prostitutes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you seem to hold BotW in high esteem. On RottenTomatoes.com, a movie-review site, it receives a 73% rating, from 108 reviews. FotR, 181 reviews, an average of 94%; TTT, 201 reviews, an average of 98%. The ratings for both LotR films went up after their EE, so I suggest BotW put one together, unless it can't get any better.
 
how many morons voted for george Dubya??? i rest my case
 
If you spent weeks at a time with a hobbit that you knew, wouldn't you tell him if you had been attacked and someone had tried to take the one most powerful thing on earth from you. I would tell him. I am sure that they had some conversation b/t themselves amout wether Boramir was killed by the orcs or not.
 
I see you give up. Good idea.

Originally posted by spelling master
how many morons voted for george Dubya??? i rest my case
In your dreams. You never had a case...the tiny shred you decided to call a 'case' got ripped like that. *snaps fingers*

And now you try to introduce a red herring into the argument. What does politics have to do with a movies popularity? Nothing at all, of course. That, and the fact that not all the reviewers on that site are American, and therefore couldn't vote for George W. whether they wanted to or not.

And remember, he didn't even get the popular vote. (Which still ticks you off, eh?) So yes, believe it or not, people who didn't vote for 'Dubya' love LotR! :eek:
 
Originally posted by lightingstrike
I am sure that they had some conversation between themselves about whether Boromir was killed by the orcs or not.
Confusion arises here because of PJ's change to the scene. The "real" Frodo wasn't there when Boromir fought the orcs, so he knows nothing about what happened to Boromir.
 
Originally posted by joxy
Confusion arises here because of PJ's change to the scene. The "real" Frodo wasn't there when Boromir fought the orcs, so he knows nothing about what happened to Boromir...

...which is why Sam got the reason of his death wrong. Frodo relates his incident with Boromir to Sam, and then they later find that Boromir is dead. Sam wants to get Frodo and himself released, so the natural thing is to put together a story, especially one designed to frighten or affect Faramir.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top