• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

how does Galdriel know the "ranger of Gondor"

Diet Sauron

New Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
13
During Galadriel's apparent mind meld with Elrond, she communicates to him (and the audience) something to teh extent of..

" All the Ranger of Gondor needs to do is stretch out and take the ring and all will be lost....."


Ummm How does she know of Faramir? It has been long while since I read the books... Is there something that I am missing? Is it possible that she is still referring to Boromir not knowing that he is dead?:confused:
 
I have not read the book in quite a while either, but to my recollection, this quote is not anywhere in it. Neither is the mind-melt with Elrond either. Just some of PJ's adaptions... I'm sure he thought this had significanse, but it is lost on me.
;)
 
I wasn't really referring to whether or not it was in the book. I was referring to what appears to be a continuity error... People knowing something that they shouldn't know in the movie.. (i.e. Sam knowing about Borormirs fate...)

Galadriel says the line about the Ranger of Gondor.. How in the world can she know of him and that he has founf Frodo and Sam? She is in Lotlorien and they are en route to Mordor. Is there any explanation to that or is it a plot hole?
 
You need to remember that Galadriel has the ability to look abroad and see the happenings in the world to a certain extent. She not only has her mirror but she has Nenya which gives her the ability to see the Dark Lord and the doings of the one ring. It is possible that she looked in her mirror and saw Faramir capture Frodo and she read his thoughts. She also knows much more than she lets on.

- Ariana
 
I don't think Sam really knew how Boromir died. But Frodo would have no doubt told him that Boromir tried to take the Ring, then he heard from Faramir that Boromir had died. All Sam did was put 2 and 2 together and conclude that Boromir met his end because he'd been so tempted by the Ring. Sam's alot smarter than he's usually given credit for. ;) Had he have said "He was attacked by orcs who turned him into a pin cushion", then yeah, that would have been a pretty glaring continuity flaw. But he didn't know how he died, he just knew why he died.

As for Galadriel, I agree with those who said she's got her mirror. I think it's perfectly reasonable for her to know the goings on all over Middle-earth, esp those goings on that concern Frodo and the Ring.
 
Originally posted by Diet Sauron
During Galadriel's apparent mind meld with Elrond, she communicates to him (and the audience) something to teh extent of..

" All the Ranger of Gondor needs to do is stretch out and take the ring and all will be lost....."


Ummm How does she know of Faramir? It has been long while since I read the books... Is there something that I am missing? Is it possible that she is still referring to Boromir not knowing that he is dead?:confused:

Galadriel knows about Boromir's death because it is she who tells Gandalf about his death when he returns from the dead.

Morgaphry
 
She probably still is referring to Boromir. Remember, they did not know that Gandalf had fallen until she read Frodo's mind. I don't think that their telepathy lets them know all alone what is happening all over the rest of ME.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top