ltnjmy
New Member
- Joined
- Dec 11, 2008
- Messages
- 93
Dear All:
Forgive me if these queries have already been posed in other threads. Since I have not yet read the H.O.M.E. - and I love the new information that I learn/enjoy almost on a daily basis from this forum - I was wondering if someone could answer and/or comment on the following:
1) Why does Cirdan the Shipwright have a beard ? I thought that all Elves were beardless. Also -was he a Telerin Elf and who was his overlord ? I do remember reading somewhere that both he and Elrond accompanied Gil-galad on the slopes of Mount Doom during the latter's combat with Sauron at the end of the Second Age (during which both Gil-Galad and Elendil were slain)... ((Was Gil-Galad his overlord - but didn't he shelter Gil-Galad - the last High King of the Noldor in Middle Earth - on the Isle of Balar towards the end of the First Age ?))
2)I read in a recent encyclopedia - I can't remember the exact name but it was something like "Tolkien's world from A to Z" - that said that the Sons of Elrond gave up their immortality by not departing Middle Earth at the end of the Third Age with their father - Is that true ? I recall reading - I believe in the Prologue to the Fellowship of the Ring - by Prof. Tolkien - that although Elrond departed - his sons long remained at Imladris accompanied by Celeborn (after Galadriel's departure)...
3) Unions of the Eldar & Edain - weren't there only 3 approved unions - (a) Luthien & Beren; (b) Idril & Tuor and (c) Arwen and Aragorn - - then why/how did the Princes of Dol Amroth have Elvish blood - weren't these Numenoran (spelling?) princes decended from a female Silvan Elf named Mithrellas ???
Thank you all for your indulgence

sincerely, ltnjmy
Forgive me if these queries have already been posed in other threads. Since I have not yet read the H.O.M.E. - and I love the new information that I learn/enjoy almost on a daily basis from this forum - I was wondering if someone could answer and/or comment on the following:
1) Why does Cirdan the Shipwright have a beard ? I thought that all Elves were beardless. Also -was he a Telerin Elf and who was his overlord ? I do remember reading somewhere that both he and Elrond accompanied Gil-galad on the slopes of Mount Doom during the latter's combat with Sauron at the end of the Second Age (during which both Gil-Galad and Elendil were slain)... ((Was Gil-Galad his overlord - but didn't he shelter Gil-Galad - the last High King of the Noldor in Middle Earth - on the Isle of Balar towards the end of the First Age ?))
2)I read in a recent encyclopedia - I can't remember the exact name but it was something like "Tolkien's world from A to Z" - that said that the Sons of Elrond gave up their immortality by not departing Middle Earth at the end of the Third Age with their father - Is that true ? I recall reading - I believe in the Prologue to the Fellowship of the Ring - by Prof. Tolkien - that although Elrond departed - his sons long remained at Imladris accompanied by Celeborn (after Galadriel's departure)...
3) Unions of the Eldar & Edain - weren't there only 3 approved unions - (a) Luthien & Beren; (b) Idril & Tuor and (c) Arwen and Aragorn - - then why/how did the Princes of Dol Amroth have Elvish blood - weren't these Numenoran (spelling?) princes decended from a female Silvan Elf named Mithrellas ???
Thank you all for your indulgence
sincerely, ltnjmy

