morgoth145
New Member
- Joined
- Mar 16, 2011
- Messages
- 61
how old is Fangorn (treebeard) during the war of the ring? any answer or approximate answer you have is very much welcome!

'Eldest was the courtesy title of Treebeard as the oldest surviving Ent. The Ents claimed to be the oldest ’speaking people’ after the Elves [illegible] until taught the art of speech by the Elves...They were therefore placed after the dwarves in the Old List...since Dwarves had the power of speech from their awaking’
The Lord of the Rings, A Reader’s Companion Hammond and Scull, page 382 Treebeard: Entry 464 The Ent
That's what the wiki says. There's a reference to The Peoples of Middle-earth, "Last Writings", "Círdan", note 30, but I do not possess that book so I can't confirm or deny.Although I agree that Nardor is for lovers, do we know Ciryatan was fatherless?
If I recall correctly Tolkien once imagined Ingwe as one of those who had 'awoken' (somewhere in the 1930s I think, possibly in one of the versions of the Lhammas maybe), but I think later he decided to represent this very (very) early moment in history in the context of an Elf-child's tale mixed with counting lore (Imin and so on).
I'm not sure it's ever said (1950s or later) whether any 'known Elf' from other accounts had truly awoken or not -- although some use certain details from the counting tale itself to argue that Ingwe, Finwe, Elwe could not have awoken among the original 144.
That's what the wiki says. There's a reference (...) but I do not possess that book so I can't confirm or deny.
Yeah. The fact that Elwe had a sibling means that he wasn't one of the originals, and I've also heard it said that Cirdan was born "Nowe," which means he wouldn't be one of the first.
How do you know regarding Ingwe/Finwe, though?