• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How to get Hobbit and Rings trilogy books with zero illustrations?

Lee M.

New Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2023
Messages
4
Hi! I'm looking for editions of The Hobbit and the Rings trilogy that:
-- preferably have no illustrations at all, including on the cover,
-- or (2nd choice) have only Tolkien's original line drawings &/or his maps.
Illustrations on the dust jackets would be okay, since I could remove them.

My reason: It's been so many decades since I read these books that I'm approaching them with a mental blank slate -- and that's how I want it to be! I want to picture the characters, settings, etc. based on the writing, not illustrations.

In your reply, would you please -- to allow me to keep a fully blank slate -- avoid referring to the characters or other content of the books? I'd be so grateful to just receive info such as publisher, pub. date, ISBN. --And whether the edition has no illustrations at all, or only Tolkien's line drawings &/or maps, please.
Thanks so v-e-r-y much!
Lee M.
 
There is one upcoming, that may be your best bet. Sadly, it won't be available until 9/19 (here in the US.)
Illustrationns are solely by the Author in this version.

Ent will keep looking for older versions... he has one in mind from many years ago, but it's become difficult to lay twigs on.

It also, he thinks, predates some of the final revisions made to bring it into closest accord with Tolkien's work due to many publisher injected errors.

"More at 11" (or sometime soon.) We have others here who can probably snap their fingers and provide you info as well.

1687124937210.png



1687124896034.png
 
In addition, this rather 'smaller' 4-volume boxed set now available cites it 'contains the entire text'.
No other frills, pictures, etc. are mentioned.
Somewhat on the smaller side, it may fit your needs... not sure of the print size.

1687125425568.png


1687125468267.png
 
And this 4-book boxed set, other than the Cover illustrations, appears to be the approved text, with just the Maps usually contained.
A little bit bigger than the one above, the trade-off may be a cover pic vs. a little nicer to hold, and slightly bigger text to read.

Also available electroncally quite affordably it appears... if you like reading electronic, the only time you'd need to look at the cover picture (if it was even included) would be when you start the book. Wouldn't need to see it each time you pick up the paperback again to continue your read.

1687125951998.png


1687126004021.png
 
I have this one and it is excellent:
Oh, yes.... Ent totally forgot. He has it too. It's a WONDERFUL volume, very nice to hold and read from..! Forgot it had no illustrations.
Hasn't been in it for awhile... working mostly digitally... it's Ent's favorite 'go to' when he just wants to sit and read/refresh himself in Tolkien.

Though it says it's 'hardcover', it's really a slightly flexible cover with a great leatherette type feel his leaves and twigs just love.

Here's the U.S. isbn for it if that's helpful.

1687127299212.png
 
Last edited:
Wow, what thoughtful, helpful, well-informed responses! Thank you so much, Ent and Elbereth! At the moment I can't stop and really digest the info you've provided, so I may have some follow-up questions sometime in the next couple of days...
Lee
 
I may have some follow-up questions sometime in the next couple of days...
That's Just Fine. It's why we're here...to help each other 'know and grow' in understanding Tolkien's Lore and works. A bit of a family we are...
Hope to see you around the Forum
 
p.s. - Ent has uncovered a few more possibilities...
------ a 3-volume set of LoTR just text, with covers not having illustrations:
------ the 75th Anniversary edition of TH which does have illustrations, but they are Tolkien's only...

there are some few other potentials as well.
If information is needed, reach out.
 
Hey--

The encouragement from Ent to ask for further advice.... Well, I'm indeed not being shy at all about follow-up questions, as you will see! I'm trusting this won't seem too terrifically self-indulgent to the folks here in the forum, since my motivation is hoping to make the next phase of my experience of Tolkien to be special in a certain way that for me will be most honoring of his writing.

Ent and Elbereth, the one-volume LotR you both have and like is an appealing possibility. It appears to be a very attractive tome. I take it that "Illustrated" in the heading of the Amazon listing must refer just to the maps you mentioned.

I'm also interested, however, in the "3-volume set of LoTR just text, with covers not having illustrations" you mentioned in your last post, Ent. In fact, I think I'd prefer having three separate volumes. So if you could provide some details on that edition, I'd greatly appreciate it.

(The four-volume hardcover boxed set appears to have print size smaller than I'd like. As for the four-volume paperback boxed set, the customer reviews on Amazon include photos that seem to show illustrations.)

As for The Hobbit, your suggestion, Ent, of the 75th-anniversary edition is my leading candidate at this point. Do you happen to know whether the illustrations are on pages by themselves (and thus more easily ignored) or inserted here and there on pages with text? Amazon doesn't have a "Look Inside" option, and I don't want to look at video reviews, etc., for fear of running into people's comments on plot/themes/characters and having my pure "mental blank slate" sullied!

I did glimpse in material on the 75th-a. Hobbit that the illustrations include color plates. Tolkien himself did color illustrations?

Last question (for today, anyway)! Do you know if the illustrations in the 75th-a. Hobbit are the same as the ones in the first edition (if it had any)? I might feel more accepting of the illustrations if I knew that they were part of the experience of the very first readers of the book. Assuming they're by Tolkien.

Appreciatively,
Lee M.
 
Ooooohhhhh.... great questions. I'll get back to you on them all over a day or two. (Assuming you're not too hasty with your search.)

If you're looking for the 'very first experience' however, you're also looking for the very original text, which is different than any of the above.
Tolkien did revisions, there were some unauthorized revisions, and Christopher Tolkien did revisions bringing it finally to 'the most current' (authorized) text.'

We must be cautious.
"More at 11"......
 
must refer just to the maps you mentioned.
It does.


"3-volume set of LoTR just text, with covers not having illustrations
There's actually also a 4-volume set of this work including The Hobbit.

However, Ent is trying very hard to be CERTAIN it has no illustrations. With Amazon, we can never really tell. "Reviews" for it often are referring to a different set or edition entirely, etc. Amazon is not very 'trustworthy' in keeping things sorted. The priority is to move product rather than represent product.

Ent may buy a set and have it delivered to be sure... though he's trying to downsize his tree-based products. Someone will enjoy receiving it once he's gotten his look at it. He already has the 'mass market paperback set' somewhere on his shelves apparently... (shown below)... Amazon says he bought the set last July. He'll dig it out tonight and look through it.

It's the one in the center of the prices... the better regular "paperback" set... (also shown below)... he was first looking at for you. "More tonight."

1687356948479.png

1687357120590.png


he 75th-anniversary edition is my leading candidate at this point. Do you happen to know whether the illustrations are on pages by themselves (and thus more easily ignored) or inserted here and there on pages with text
Ent doesn't know or remember. He fears he let this version go many years ago, when the textually corrected and updated versions came out.
If you've a friendly used book store close, it can sometimes be found there for a quick perusal.

Tolkien himself did color illustrations?
Not entirely sure, but Ent thinks 'no'. Can look this up too, though. there's much information out there about his original artwork. (Books of it in fact.) Others have colorized some of his work, included in later editions. there is a lonely bit of heartwood in Ent trying to tell him Tolkien tried to have color plates inserted, but the publisher declined due to expense in the original edition.

the illustrations in the 75th-a. Hobbit are the same as the ones in the first edition (if it had any)?
Sadly, Ent's knowledge is lacking here yet again. He's never been interested or intrigued by 'illustrated' books... even with Tolkien's own, though if he wanted to look at illustrations, Tolkien's would be the only ones he'd refer to as 'possibly based on Tolkien's descriptions'. yet Tolkien was no well-disciplined artist himself... though a good dabbler in the artform.

Regarding them being 'same as in the first edition', there were some 'reproductions' of the first edition Ent thinks... so those could possibly be found. But whether the 75th restricted it to that Ent can't confirm (yet).

Again, the text of the very first edition was soon corrupted by US publishers, future publishers put in accidental changes, and Tolkien himself edited a later edition, with Christopher ultimately restoring what is considered to be 'the right text'. Yet the very first edition of Hobbit, intentionally altered by Tolkien in spots due to advent of LoTR as Ent recalls, will differ from the 'right text' finalized in 2002 (if memory serves).

It may be if you really want 'the original experience' your search is for a 1st Edition Hobbit, and a 1st Edition LoTR.... and quie a few shillings they'll set you back, to be sure.

This is Ent's best at the moment..... happy to help, if help it at all is.

disclaimer: Ent is old, but just an Enting in Tolkien, being 'at it' in depth only a little over a year. Therefore, some of what's said 'from memory rather than diligent research' above may be incorrect in terms of dating, etc.

ADDITION:
Ent has located a 1937 Hobbit 1st Edition: George Allen & Unwin, UK - It did have some full page illustrations... black and white... the only color was in the few maps, which used red for some few things on them. Only $19,750.00 list price.

There's also a 1938 '1st Edition'... Houghton Mifflin - has color plates and maps all in red vs. black and red. Current bid is at $6,201.00. Climbing fast. Was $5,855.00 just a moment ago when Ent looked...
 
Last edited:
Well, sir @Lee M., Ent lied. (unintentionally. He aplogizes profusely
This is the set Ent has... the slightly pricier one.

1687394958744.png
.
It is quite nice.... with these features:
1. Based on the 2001 text, which Ent believes is the last correcting of the text,
2. Contains 15 black and white illustrations. 4 are the maps, 11 are the 'handful' of Tolkien's originally published sketches published with the 1st Allen & Unwin edition.
3. All illustrations fill their own page, not small and inserted in the text.
4. All Tolkien's standard 'appendices' at the end of LoTR including family trees, index, Tolkien's Tale of Years (timeline of events through the ages), etc.

A very nice 'reading paperback set' to hold (which is why Ent bought it). Has that 'nice' smell as humans call it, of dead trees smushed up and formed into paper products. (OK, OK.... Ent likes the smell too..1)

Probably presents a good alternative.

Updates to Tolkien's Hobbit text were done in the 1950s, the 1970s, 1995, and again in 2001 to bring it to as correct, consistent with Tolkien's preferences, as possible. In a little research, Ent can't find any corrections to text after 2001.
 
Dear Ent,

Your efforts to help me continued to be truly extraordinary in your latest set of messages. And you even spoke of doing even more research on my behalf. Well, I'm happy to say that you can retire on your laurels because you've brought me to my goal.

The boxed set you presented in the last post... Because you painstakingly provided me with all the info you knew I was hoping to have for making my decision -- I know I'll be very happy with those volumes! I have in fact ordered that set.

Again, it's extraordinary, how generously you entered into my aim. To think that you were considering buying one of the candidate sets in order to assess it well for me -- wow! BTW, I'm also grateful for the extra pieces of knowledge you've provided me with, such as about the evolution of the books' texts.

It was neat the way things played out with your series of messages. The data in the first few was making it possible for me to know which directions to consider, and it was great to be getting the info I would need for success as I continued a somewhat involved-seeming search. But then in your final message you place before me what turns out to be the solution -- search over!

I am grateful.
I'll let you know whether my non-arboreal nose agrees with yours about the aroma of these volumes.
Lee M.

P.S. I'm very unfamiliar with the workings and customs of forums such as this. Is there a particular way I can make known or put on record here the specialness of how you responded to my question?
 
Is there a particular way I can make known or put on record here the specialness of how you responded to my question?
Such really isn't necessary... (and could ruin Ent's image..!) 😁 He just helps, and doesn't take any question lightly.

Everyone on the Forum can see this thread and your comments above. Ent supposes if you feel compelled to do something, that should not be stifled either, however... maybe a comment in the "Member Announcements" thread. But again, totally unnecessary.

Ent (and the whole family here) hopes to see you around the Forum joining in with our Thread discussions, studies, games, Wiki entries, etc.

Likely not until after your 'sanitized' reading of Tolkien of course, as you're working to avoid 'germs'... but you're very welcome here.
It's all about Tolkien... primary focus on his works and lore rather than 'other' unmentionable stuff... (though there is some of that too).

Ent thinks you'd find a home here, and we'd certainly like to learn from you. It's all about growing in understanding Tolkien.

p.s. - some day we could discuss WHY the changes/corrections to the text were needed, and pin them down to their exact dates...an interesting story in itself. In fact, there's likely a thread or two about it here already somewhere we could find for review to shorten the journey.
 
Last edited:
Could you check your paperback set, Ent? The "corrected" text wasn't published until the 50th Anniversary edition of 2004, so unless the "based on the 2001 edition" has been updated, it won't contain all the corrections made by Hammond and Scull. In fact, more corrections have been made subsequently.

I don't agree with every decision they made, but they incorporated all the errors Christopher found, large and small, while preparing the relevant HoME volumes. Sometimes even a tiny error can matter: for example, the correction of other to others, which changes the tone entirely.

A couple of notes on The Hobbit: a facsimile 1st edition, containing the original text, was published in 2016 -- much cheaper than buying a "real" 1st edition. 😄

Also, the 1st US edition looked very different from the UK version:
download (14).jpeg
 
Could you check your paperback set, Ent? The "corrected" text wasn't published until the 50th Anniversary edition of 2004, so unless the "based on the 2001 edition" has been updated, it won't contain all the corrections made by Hammond and Scull. In fact, more corrections have been made subsequently.
Yes, Ent'll give it another look and reread its publishing notes, and what is said in its introductions.
Perhaps some wayfaring twigs obscured a correct reading.
 
Ent feels somewhat better he has not misled Lee M.
The edition was published in 2012 according to ISBNs available... so highly unlikely it doesn't contain 2004 updates. but he willl confirm when he's back in his cave tonight.
 
(. . .) so unless the "based on the 2001 edition" has been updated, it won't contain all the corrections made by Hammond and Scull. In fact, more corrections have been made subsequently. [] I don't agree with every decision they made, but they incorporated all the errors Christopher found, large and small, while preparing the relevant HoME volumes.

I also don't agree with every decision they made, world class Tolkien experts though they are! That
said, I don't agree with every decision Tolkien ever made either; and I certainly don't agree with every decision I've ever made!

In fact, I'm starting to disagree with the decision to post this post! Oh. Too late.
 
I've this to say about THAT, esteemed cat. "Well...OK!" (end discussion.) 🤪
 

Similar threads

Back
Top