Turin_Turambar
Mormegil
- Joined
- Mar 25, 2021
- Messages
- 532

I disagree. Gandalf, with Turgon's sword Glamdring, shattered the Moria Balrog's sword, and would most likely have sliced the whip easily, too.
he have doneI disagree. Gandalf, with Turgon's sword Glamdring, shattered the Moria Balrog's sword, and would most likely have sliced the whip easily, too.
Then Ecthelion of the Fountain took down Gothmog, if with the help of water (being Ulmo's domain, it's not surprising that Morgoth's minions were averse to it).
So I think Fingolfin would have dispatched any Balrong's weapons quite swiftly. And I'd guess that Fingolfin's sword Ringil was at least a notch above Glamdring, possibly having been forged in Valinor itself. I think Fingolfin, especially in his fell mood at that duel, would have been the one Elven warrior who could have bodily destroyed any Balrog "simply" by direct use of weapons (the Balrog would then become a disembodied Maia, but that's another matter).
I concur. I don’t think I’d want to rate Tolkien’s Elves by how “all sites on the internet” opine. I think it much better to turn to Tolkien’s own writing and opinions.
Elthir has helpfully demonstrated the caution with which we must approach Tolkien’s use of hyperbole. I believe that at some point, Christopher Tolkien remarked on his father’s use of dramatic hyperbole: Tom Bombadil was eldest, but Treebeard was also oldest. Elthir has given us an example of Fingolfin as strongest, but also Fëanor as strongest.In the books Fingolfin is described as the "strongest, most steadfast, and most valiant of the sons of Finwe." And Finwe had three sons, one of whom is described . . .
"For Feanor was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind: in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and subtlety alike: of all the Children of Ilúvatar, and a bright flame was in him."
...Then Ecthelion of the Fountain took down Gothmog, if with the help of water (being Ulmo's domain, it's not surprising that Morgoth's minions were averse to it)....
Elthir has helpfully demonstrated the caution with which we must approach Tolkien’s use of hyperbole. I believe that at some point, Christopher Tolkien remarked on his father’s use of dramatic hyperbole: Tom Bombadil was eldest, but Treebeard was also oldest. Elthir has given us an example of Fingolfin as strongest, but also Fëanor as strongest.
In any event, Fingolfin was a superb swordsman, agile, strong, and cunning. That he was able even to wound a Vala, however weakened, should be regarded as an incredible feat, and that he left Morgoth ever after halt (lame) with his dying blow is amazing. The Valar are “gods” (with a little “g”), demiurges, who shaped and fashioned the world: Melkor Morgoth was one of these, coëval with Manwë Súlimo.
Maybe we have all been overlooking one thing that might give us a pointer as to the wings or no discussion:. . . problem is, since Tolkien gave Balrogs wings in The Lord of the Rings, I'm guessing Gothmog never never never met Ecthelion but simply flew to Turgon's tower the moment the battle began.
Just a guess![]()
. . . problem is, since Tolkien gave Balrogs wings in The Lord of the Rings, I'm guessing Gothmog never never never met Ecthelion but flew to Turgon's tower the moment the battle began.
Just a guess![]()