Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.
Register
Can any of you loremasters (you know who you are) answer this question I've wondered about for a long time?
Elven smiths in the 1st Age forged swords that glowed with a blue light when Orcs (or is it any enemy like trolls?) drew near.
Why, if the same High Elves made swords in the 2nd & 3rd Ages would they not glow?
It is VERY possible that High Elves reforged Anduril at Rivendell......
BTW, Grond, Haven't you ever watched wrestling?
Guys step on other guys throats all the time & they're not 15-20 feet tall.
I always wondered on Morgoths height as it says that his sheild cast a shadow over Fingolfin 'like a stormcloud' & Fingolfin gleamed beneath it like a star.
I wondered if Morgoth could be like, 100 feet tall.
But, your guess sounds closer to reality. I always thought 100 feet would be a bit much......
Bucky, I was basing it on a discussion I came across in another forum. It alluded to the fact that a Fingolfin sized Melkor would have not been able to kill him by simply stepping on him. Then there's the whole pit digging thing. Grond would have to have been fairly large to be deemed to have dug a pit with one stroke. As you said, 100 feet and his foot wouldn't have been on Fingolfin's neck but his whole body. Twenty feet (give or take 4 or 5 feet) is what I would expect Melkor's Arda manifestation to have been. But it's just a guess as is my assertion that Grond was 12 feet. WAGs. Wild *** Guesses
2) The same Elven smiths were still around, but somehow they forgot.
While #2 sounds silly, it is a serious possibility since many human masters of crafts will forget certain skills (particularly complex ones) if they go too long unpracticed. Nonetheless, I prefer #1, but I willingly admit it is all mere conjecture.
I'd get lembas. I always wondered how that tasted like...