• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Is Third Age Middle-earth larger than Beleriand?

I don't understand your point. What do the flying mounts of the Nazgûl have to do with the dragons? What does their size matter if they're deployed by Sauron? There is not enough data to assume dragons were ever seen let alone used by Sauron. Your reasoning is faulty at best.
 
I'm just speculating anyway. Also I've read that flying mounts of the Nazgul are descended from cold drakes. Is that true?
 
I never said "absolute evil". The example I gave was written by Tolkien himself. You can't disregard it just because it doesn't jibe with your friend's views. If Gollum's life was ruined it's because he ruined it.
 
Pax, Ent, but I think the original thread** is as good a place as any for it.
I can't tell you how many times I've come across similar comments (here and elsewhere) describing both Boromir and Denethor not only as arrogant, but flat out evil jerks.
Considering the OP's questiont the original thread is the place to, if not entirely dispel that opinion, at least show that there is more to a character than what his outward actions might imply.
The bonus is that in discussing the book character and not the movie character, someone reading that discussion might get the (entirely correct) idea that the book character is a lot more complex than the screen character, and conclude that there might be some merit in reading the books (always a good thing 🙂)

**Boromir (and Denethor) character
 
Last edited:
I'm just speculating anyway. Also I've read that flying mounts of the Nazgul are descended from cold drakes. Is that true?
Doubtful. Their description seems to suggest they are prehistoric reptiles. Tolkien never intended them to be pterodactyls but agreed in a letter that they were pterodactyl-like:

  • The Letters of JRR Tolkien, #211
It seems likely or at least plausible that Morgoth bred the cold-drakes and other dragons from prehistoric stock, i.e. dinosaurs and flying reptiles, though.


I think there is a case to be made that Denethor had some evil qualities. Tolkien himself said he was on his way to becoming a "tyrant" and that he would have dealt harshly with the human allies of Mordor if Gondor defeated Sauron:

  • The Letters of JRR Tolkien, #181
 
Last edited:
Let's take it to the original thread and not derail this one.
 
Correct.
But there is a Grand Canyon wide chasm (I'm from AZ 😉) between "becoming" and "is".
That is why the first thing I requested of Ent is to define what he means when he uses the word "became".
And that onotological question is what the discussion (I hope) will address/explain.
 
Last edited:
And he is currently one of the most knowledgeable people in the world about both Middle-earth and Tolkien.

George Wade: Well that's just silly. Have you met everybody on the planet?
Lucy Kelson: Goodbye George.

From the film Two Weeks Notice (2002)


I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "longer than other subjects", but Galadriel and Celeborn didn't exist until the draft writing for The Lord of the Rings. The Tale of Túrin -- and just for one example -- existed many years before this, and is extant in various forms, both prose and poetic.

And it's not like JRRT gave up writing the long prose Children of Húrin after The Lord of the Rings was written, or after it was published.

Perhaps something else is meant?

Anyway. I nap.
 
That is why the first thing I requested of Ent is to define what he means when he uses the word "became".
THIS is what it was, Oh, thank you. Ent couldn't recall it and hasn't had time to locate and get it onto his 'need to follow up' list. Will come soon.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…