
I did add a reference to Treebeard’s words. You see, just the day before yesterday the website where my article is hosted began moving to a different host (I did not know anything about that beforehand), so it is currently unavailable, and at the same time the latest copy of my article on the Internet Archive made on 4 November suddenly disappeared for reasons unkonwn to me, leaving behind a rather outdated version (I guess it is what you read, given that you did not see the Treebeard reference). So I had to deal with all this mess yesterday. Given that I do not have a working PC right now, I literally lost the latest version of my article for a time, but I was able to recover the text with help of the owner of the site where it was hosted, and I spent all the yesterday’s evening creating a new copy on GoogleDoc. Here it is. I am sorry that you evidently had to spend your time reading an outdated version.Amalcarin, as I didn't see any reference to the "Treebeard case", have you reconsidered it? Or maybe you found holes in it and are too polite to say so? Or maybe I just missed it somehow.
Anyway, back in the dark days of 2014 (see the link below - if it works), starting at post 75, I had a short discussion with Jim Allen (Jallanite) with respect to certain references published in The Lord of the Rings.
If you're interested in his commentary, you might also catch me streeeeetching a bit to try to explain some "Bombadil bent seas" commentary. . . in my defense :cough: I was much younger then!
Also, there's some early commentary from Robert Foster that I find interesting, as I own a much treasured A Guide To Middle-Earth > the version that came out before the 1977 Silmarillion was published. The book still takes into account everything Tolkien himself had published of course, and although I can't say I've gone back and read (especially recently) every entry in the book with respect to matters of Sun/Moon/Earth, I did look up certain references in it.
First off, there's no entry in the pre-Silmarillion version to the "Bent Seas" or to the "Change of the World" (not in those words anyway), but in his post-Silmarillion The Complete Guide To Middle-Earth, Robert Foster does include an entry for: Bent World "(Arda (q.v.), so called after it was made spherical at the Change of the World (S 303; B 378)" and an entry for "Change of the World" which includes, at the end: ". . . and Arda became a globe."
And below are a few entries from both books. Obviously, given my opinion on this matter, I don't necessarily agree with all of Foster's descriptions here, but it gave me something to do in any case!
R. Foster A Guide To Middle-Earth (published before The Silmarillion)
Sunless Year "Probably the time when the Undying Lands were darkened by the Shadows."
Shadows "The eternal twilight of Valinor, summoned by Varda at the decree of Manwe after the destruction of the Two Tress and the revolt of the Noldor (. . .)"
Twilight "Figurative name for the Undying Lands, derived from their darkened state after the rebellions of Morgoth and the Noldor."
Twilight (II) "A period early in the First Age of Middle-earth, perhaps the domination of Morgoth."
R. Foster, The Complete Guide To Middle-Earth (published after The Silmarillion)
Sunless Year "Probably the Long Night, the time when the Undying Lands were darkened by the Shadows."
Twilight "Probably the period of the Sleep of Yavanna, when Morgoth's creatures (such as the trolls) were bred to live in Darkness.
Twilight (II) "The state of the Elves at the end of the Third Age. The term is especially apt in The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen because of her epithet Undomiel. Cf. the Evening and the Fading Years."
Also. . .
CAUTION
. . . clicking on threads over at the Barrow Downs forums now seems to come with a "not secure" warning, and sometimes I have to click multiple times to "get in". The forum is still active, but I don't post there much these days. I'm not even sure this will work, but here goes!
Can atheists appreciate/understand Lord of the Ring? - Page 2 - The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum
Page 2- Can atheists appreciate/understand Lord of the Ring? Novices and Newcomersforum.barrowdowns.com
EDIT the link worked the first time for me. . . and a second time too, but only after encountering a "resource limit is reached" message (or something like that), after which I hit "refresh" a few times and then got in.
Concerning the readings from the first edition of R. Foster’s Guide – (edit for brevity) but I do not think it matters that much if we accept the cosmology of the Silmarillion as a tradition inside the “multi-perspective legendarium” anyway.
Hmm, I guess you are right, Treebeard’s chronology is not very clear. But I do make a disclaimer: “What exactly is meant is up to interpretation, but if...”, – so perhaps the argument can stay as it is.Amalcarin, after reading your work posted over at Barrow Downs (excellent of course), I started thinking about the Treebeard section again, and I went to Hammond and Scull's The Lord of the Rings A Readers Companion to document what they say, and also do not say, about Treebeard's Great Darkness, and something hit me. . .
by the way, the nice response there from avrorafrix at least seems (due to an edit) to have turned into a partial advertisement
. . . unless I'm off about something, it appears to me that Treebeard's chronology, taken as a whole (if indeed truncated history and not fully detailed in any case) doesn't work perfectly with the chronology of the Elder Days as set out in the constructed Silmarillion. In other words, if we go with the Great Darkness being Morgoth's return to Angband, then, as I see things, I have a problem reconciling (some) Elves passing "away over the Sea", given the ban and the Hiding of Valinor. . .
. . . and if I go with the Darkness being the earlier influence of Utumno (as I did earlier in this thread), then I think I have a problem with respect to even certain "old Elves" (as Treebeard states) teaching The Trees to speak, as, at some point, the Ents "learned of the Elves and spoke to the Trees". . . but before the Darkness of Utumno "spread now ever southward over Middle-earth" (The Silmarillion)?
Tulkas wanted war with Morgoth before the Elves even awoke, in the Silmarillion timeline!
I'm not now saying that the "Treebeard Chronology" can't be used in any way towards the argument, but is it not "vulnerable", at least, to the response that it's being used selectively if we point to the received chronology to make part of the case?
In the end, I think these meads in the sunshine must be very early in any event, indeed "when the world was young, and the woods were wild and wide", and indeed earlier that a Great Darkness (influence of Morgoth), but, unless there's some other chronology (from The Nature of Middle-Earth or "something"), that fits the details here, perhaps an argument could be made more generally, without making specific reference to the QS chronology (obviously a "later Sun" tradition in any case).
Or do you think this much (or too little) ado about nothing
__________
And if I haven't missed anything, my approach to canon also raises its little head here: text actually published by Tolkien himself being king in my book, do I hold Tolkien to Treebeard's chronology?
I realize JRRT once noted that Treebeard's knowledge is limited, but I'm reluctant to employ this outside of where Tolkien himself appears to employ it - in context (in a draft letter to Peter Hastings), about "making" orks - unless there's a compelling reason.
Moreover, in the same draft letter although Tolkien notes that Treebeard is a character in the story, and there's quite a lot he does not know or understand, he does note that the Ent has a "great memory" (and some earthy wisdom)
And given this, I'd think Treebeard should get the key points of chronology correct.
Hmm, I guess you are right, Treebeard’s chronology is not very clear. But I do make a disclaimer: “What exactly is meant is up to interpretation, but if...”, – so perhaps the argument can stay as it is.
Do you think anything should be done about this? I expressed approval to that message in its original form, but would not want to let it appear as if I did so for an advertisement.by the way, the nice response there from avrorafrix at least seems (due to an edit) to have turned into a partial advertisement
Do you think anything should be done about this? I expressed approval to that message in its original form, but would not want to let it appear as if I did so for an advertisement.
I would say there is enough evidence to determine Tolkien’s final view, and, in absence of any positive evidence to the contrary, I do not consider the claim that he might have changed his mind had he lived longer anything more than unprovable what-if. But from what I have seen, many people do not even pretend to give much weight to Tolkien’s final intentions when those are not to their liking, and no one can forbid them to do so, of course, as long as it is about their preferred ways to engage with the legendarium and not academic discussions. Anyway, I do like the original mythology, too, and I am glad that Tolkien decided to retain it as such even when the Round World cosmology prevailed.Since there isn't a final word in these matters, I think it's up to the reader to choose, and I personally prefer to stick to the original mythology, it is in my opinion a lot more beautiful, a lot more magic.
I know, I was not being serious. Yet, dealing with multiple realities becomes a bit complex, like what happened to someone who lived in both realities. If I understand correctly, it's like when the world changed post Numenor's fault, the whole reality was like retroactively changed, would that alter the memories of those who were alive when the old reality existed?I think you are exaggerating. There is nothing so complicated here, just a normal discussion at the level of The History of Middle-earth readers.
I couldn't agree more. Nobody of course knows what was in Tolkien's mind, but we don't really know what his intentions were or would have been.I would say there is enough evidence to determine Tolkien’s final view, and, in absence of any positive evidence to the contrary, I do not consider the claim that he might have changed his mind had he lived longer anything more than unprovable what-if. But from what I have seen, many people do not even pretend to give much weight to Tolkien’s final intentions when those are not to their liking, and no one can forbid them to do so, of course, as long as it is about their preferred ways to engage with the legendarium and not academic discussions. Anyway, I do like the original mythology, too, and I am glad that Tolkien decided to retain it as such even when the Round World cosmology prevailed.
Ah, I had misunderstood what you were referring too. It makes sense now. But neither I nor Elthir (as he himself noted) subscribe to that idea. We subscribe to Tolkien’s own final (as far as all available evidence goes) idea of a multi-perspective legendarium reconciling the Round World cosmology and the Flat World mythology.I know, I was not being serious. Yet, dealing with multiple realities becomes a bit complex, like what happened to someone who lived in both realities. If I understand correctly, it's like when the world changed post Numenor's fault, the whole reality was like retroactively changed, would that alter the memories of those who were alive when the old reality existed?
It seems going the way that reality is what is described by observers, a concept that is very tricky. As capable and knowledgeable Tolkien was, I don't think this was his field of expertise.
Maybe I am overthinking it though and I prefer to stick to the original conception.
That is what I am doing, too. And I would argue (and do argue in my article in its more recent form – not in the opening message of this thread) that the Round World cosmology has at least no less support in Tolkien’s published works, letters and interviews than the original Flat World cosmology.From the Legendarium perspective, I prefer to stick to what was published, and fill in the blanks, either with other sources (history of middle earth, nome, unfinished tales) when compatible and in some cases, using our own imagination.