• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🧝Legolas - Fall of Gondolin

F

Forodwaith

Guest
Forgive me if this has been answered before. IS Legolas Greenleaf of the Tree, the night-sighted leader at the end of the Fall of Gondolin, the same as the Legolas Greenleaf of LOTR? If he is, he would be at least 6000 years old during LOTR, since that LOTR is in the Third Age, and the FOG occurred in the First. Does anyone know?
 
Thanks. I wasn't exactly sure. By-the-way Gothmog, I like the name.
 
The only Elf named in Gondolin who is also in the third age is Glorfindel

I do not believe that it is definitely certain that it's the same Glorfindel, especially considering he died.


Can you produce any definitive writings by Tolkien to back up it being the same dude?

I tend to go with 'same name, different Elf' myself until I see that Tolkien had his mind made up 100% on the subject.


The fact that there was 2 Legolas's shows there could be 2 Elves named Glorfindel too.
 
Well, seeing as I got it in my hand right here, justr delivered in the mail, I will see...... ;)
 
Maybe I misread, but didn't Glorfindel from Gondolin die when fighting a Balrog or something? I thought it said that he was honoured for keeping the forces of Morgoth ay bay while the others escaped from Gondolin. So if that's the case, there's a second Glorfindel who's in the 3rd age. Another thing is that Glorfindel means Golden-Haired, and all of the Vanyar (I think) had blonde hair.

Also, I'm not sure if there's any relavence between these two, but in the begining of the modern releases of The Hobbit, it claims that names were often repeated in generations for Dwarves, so maybe thats the same with Elves ;)
 
Oh my, the Glorfindel argument again?! :eek:
Everyone listen to Inder, they are the same guy, as told in HOME!! I don't have HOME 12, so I cannot provide you with any direct quotes about this, but I have had this discussion countless times with forum member in the past who have provided very good quotes, maybe Inder will provide a quote for us......
 
From HOME 12:

When Glorfindel was slain his spirit would then go to Mandos and be
judged, and then would remain in the Halls of Waiting until
Manwe granted him release.

The Elves were destined to be by nature 'immortal', within
the unknown limits of the life of the Earth as a habitable realm, and their disembodiment was a grievous thing. It was the duty, therefore, of the Valar to restore
them, if they were slain, to incarnate life, if they desired it -
unless for some grave (and rare) reason: such as deeds of great
evil, or any works of malice of which they remained obdurately
unrepentant. When they were re-embodied they could remain in
Valinor, or return to Middle-earth if their home had been there.

We can therefore reasonably suppose that Glorfindel, after the
purging or forgiveness of his part in the rebellion of the Noldor,
was released from Mandos and became himself again, but
remained in the Blessed Realm - for Gondolin was destroyed
and all or most of his kin had perished. We can thus understand
why he seems so powerful a figure and almost 'angelic'. For he
had returned to the primitive innocence of the First-born, and
had then lived among those Elves who had never rebelled, and
in the companionship of the Maiar for ages: from the last years
of the First Age, through the Second Age, to the end of the first
millennium of the Third Age: before he returned to Middle-
earth.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top