The only requirement I put on my Eldanyare is that it should be consistent with itself.
Ah I see. Thanks.
And just so that I don't have to keep writing it, some of my following comments are to be read
with "not that you said otherwise" in mind.
So, there are a lot of areas that contradict the published Silmarillion.
Yes for me the constructed Silmarillion is "simply" a reader's version, which although a great gift
in my opinion, is not canon and doesn't form the basis for my PS (Personal Silmarillion).
I have not checked The Lhammas aginst Appendix F, but I would not expect it to agree, considering the "Great Shift" (assuming I have understood what that is!).
I knew Appendix F
* was relatively brief, but glancing at it again, it's brief enough that arguable contradictions of
actual text (between Appendix F and The Lhammas) seemingly wouldn't amount
to much, at least "number-wise" so to speak.
It's sometimes a bit of an eye opener when looking at . . .
. . . what
Tolkien himself
didn't actually publish.
Anyway, given our discussion, Christopher Tolkien's statement about the "Great Shift" seems apt here:
"So far-reaching was this reformation that the pre-existent linguistic structures themselves were moved into new historical relations and given new names; but there is no need here to enter that rather baffling territory."
*not that Appendix F is the sole source of information -- information published by JRRT himself I mean -- about the Elvish tongues and their relationships to each other, in any case.
it is also interesting as more of a "set" of documents in combination, addressing different areas, rather then the more "novelistic" approach of the published Silmarillion. It is a fun read!
Drawing from one of your earlier posts, the Eldanyare collection includes: The Later Annals --
Ainulindale -- Ambarkanta -- Lhammas -- second Silmarillion
map --
Quenta Silmarillion.
Christopher Tolkien's
Silmarillion includes: Ainulindale --
Valaquenta -- Quenta Silmarillion --
Akallabeth -- Of
The Rings Of Power And
The Third Age -- map -- genealogical tables.
Ambarkanta is cool, if short. I think
Cuivienyarna is cool in a different way. But anyway I agree with a legendarium that not only includes various internal
authors, but various kinds of texts that address different areas. Including
Hobbit poetry!
Admittedly my "PS" includes 2 Fall of
Numenor tales! But then again, they are different from each other in interesting ways (in my opinion).
( . . . ) So any conflicts with LotR are unavoidable because resolving them is entirely outside my "remit".
You
could do this: The Later Annals -- Ainulindale -- Ambarkanta --
Lhammas Quendi And Eldar -- second Silmarillion map -- Quenta Silmarillion. Then, if so, you don't have that Anglo-Saxon guy
(who went to Eressea) recording the history of the
Elvish languages . . . so "differently" let's say.
Or you could prefer
not to do this, obviously.
Doesn't matter. I get it. I added this part to amuse me.
On the plus side, I know that every word in it has been written by JRRT himself, . . .
I know that too with respect to my personal Silmarillion (here's a good example where you didn't say otherwise). I mean, I guess you're stressing this in comparison to the constructed 1977 Silmarillion, rather than in reaction to my approach -- b'just in case.
. . . at the one time that he stood any chance of publishing it.
I think Tolkien had a good chance of publishing his legendarium after the success of
The Lord of the Rings -- though maybe you are referring to something like "Tolkien getting out of his own way" or whatever.
Sorry for cutting that up so much. And thanks for responding.