• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Drawing Maitimelia's Doodles

A few of us were doing a little RP off-site in which Aranya, having just finished an emergency surgery on Maitimo, left him to his brothers so she could take a nap. They later woke her up by mentioning giving him solid food, which he would not have been able to handle yet. Annoyed at having been woken up, she threw an apron on over her pajamas, grabbed a chocolate milk and headed over to make sure nothing stupid happened.

The mental picture was so vivid, I had to draw it!
20250415_153901.jpg
 
She must really have quite the Aranya Senses to have overheard in her sleep from another room Tyelko talk about feeding Maitimo and be woken up by it. With her Aranya Senses and Maitimo’s Nelyo Senses, they could make quite the formidable pair! No one would get away with anything! 😂

And since we’re all family, rather than make herself more fully presentable, all she has to do is throw on the apron and grab a chocolate milk. She must have been having quite the nap for her hair to have already gotten so messy! 😂
 
She must really have quite the Aranya Senses to have overheard in her sleep from another room Tyelko talk about feeding Maitimo and be woken up by it. With her Aranya Senses and Maitimo’s Nelyo Senses, they could make quite the formidable pair! No one would get away with anything! 😂
Yeah, I think she has a fëa connectedness to him, which wakes her up when he's having a problem or whatever.

Aranya: I GET NO SLEEP. 💀

Aranya: When one gets herself entangled with someone Like Maitimo Nelyafinwë Russandol, one must out of necessity develop senses to become alert in case of ANYTHING!
True. Stupid stuff happens to him all the time (including him doing stupid things), so her Stupidity Radar™️ is highly sensitive!
 
Our favorite girlboss ♥️

Her kitty themed pajamas are amazing, it makes me wonder if there's an elvish tailor out there who deals in exclusively kitty themed apparel 🤣
Aranya, Maitimo, Curvo and Tyelko keep them perpetually in business. 😂

It's on my list next to draw Aranya and Maitimo wearing a matching set of cat pajamas!
 
I drew these at Bible study last week but haven't gotten a chance to post them till now. I've been getting bored of the tunic-trousers-boots combo I usually draw for male Elves, so this was just an experiment of some new outfit ideas. Now, these are not historically based, because I was just trying to be creative and not limit myself to any time period in particular.

I guess this one isn't that original for me, since I have drawn Maitimo in a shirt like it before. But I will always love these sort of vaguely 18th century inspired, vaguely piratey shirts. Maybe Captain Nelyafinwë wears it! Though I usually picture Maitimo wearing something like this in the more romantic scenes I write with him and Aranya.

20250514_175328.jpg


I also imagined this one was probably designed for Maitimo or someone with a similar body type as him. It really accentuates that waist! 👀
20250514_175332.jpg


Also, the sleeves are cartridge pleated at the cuff. Cartridge pleating is a historical sewing term I don't feel like explaining, so if you're curious what it is, look it up.

I think this one is probably the most interesting and cohesive design. I could imagine Fingolfin or Turgon wearing it.

20250514_175337.jpg

I'm really proud of yhe interesting pleat design above the sleeve cuffs. It would be a really fun outfit with its super-long cape sleeve thingies, and the longer outer robe. It would really accentuate towering height. (Obviously Maitimo is very tall too, but his shoulders are broader than this, so I can't really see him in this outfit.)

This last one didn't fully get finished, but I just wanted to experiment with a design including a fancy 18th century inspired dressy coat.

20250514_175342.jpg

It looks like it belongs to somebody who's slighter in height and build, but I'm not sure who yet. It also needs to belong to somebody who has fancy taste.

Let me know what you think of these! Who can you see wearing them?
 
I drew these at Bible study last week but haven't gotten a chance to post them till now. I've been getting bored of the tunic-trousers-boots combo I usually draw for male Elves, so this was just an experiment of some new outfit ideas. Now, these are not historically based, because I was just trying to be creative and not limit myself to any time period in particular.

I guess this one isn't that original for me, since I have drawn Maitimo in a shirt like it before. But I will always love these sort of vaguely 18th century inspired, vaguely piratey shirts. Maybe Captain Nelyafinwë wears it! Though I usually picture Maitimo wearing something like this in the more romantic scenes I write with him and Aranya.

View attachment 42193

I also imagined this one was probably designed for Maitimo or someone with a similar body type as him. It really accentuates that waist! 👀
View attachment 42194

Also, the sleeves are cartridge pleated at the cuff. Cartridge pleating is a historical sewing term I don't feel like explaining, so if you're curious what it is, look it up.

I think this one is probably the most interesting and cohesive design. I could imagine Fingolfin or Turgon wearing it.

View attachment 42195
I'm really proud of yhe interesting pleat design above the sleeve cuffs. It would be a really fun outfit with its super-long cape sleeve thingies, and the longer outer robe. It would really accentuate towering height. (Obviously Maitimo is very tall too, but his shoulders are broader than this, so I can't really see him in this outfit.)

This last one didn't fully get finished, but I just wanted to experiment with a design including a fancy 18th century inspired dressy coat.

View attachment 42197
It looks like it belongs to somebody who's slighter in height and build, but I'm not sure who yet. It also needs to belong to somebody who has fancy taste.

Let me know what you think of these! Who can you see wearing them?
Oooo I really like these!! Maitimo in the ruffly pirate shirt would be so cute! I love the neckline on the 3rd one, with the more eastern layering style. It almost looks like the design on jedi robes! I could definitely see Turgon or Fingolfin wearing it.

I think the last one is something Finrod would wear, personally. Those coats tend to have a ton of extravagant embroidery and beading, which always reminds me of him lol.
 
Oooo I really like these!! Maitimo in the ruffly pirate shirt would be so cute!
He was sort of wearing one in the Mairanya Dancing drawing!

I love the neckline on the 3rd one, with the more eastern layering style. It almost looks like the design on jedi robes! I could definitely see Turgon or Fingolfin wearing it.
For sure! As a nearly lifelong Star Wars fan, Jedi robes will always inspire at least some of my fashion sketches.

I think the last one is something Finrod would wear, personally. Those coats tend to have a ton of extravagant embroidery and beading, which always reminds me of him lol.
Oh you're totally right, it would be perfect for Finrod! I forgot about him lol.
 
I think this one is probably the most interesting and cohesive design. I could imagine Fingolfin or Turgon wearing it.
Fingolfin is wearing something like it in my anime character creator design of him. 🤭

10. fingolfin.png


I think these are Jedi robes (since there were other Star Wars options like lightsabers in the avatar creator).
But they also remind me of traditional Japanese clothing. And yes, Ringil is a katana here. This is because my own alternative design for Fingolfin would have him looking rather like a samurai. I think it would suit him. 😎✨
 
I feel so happy and pleased! For the first time in many years, I reconnected with watercolors. I took a watercolor class in high school and really enjoyed it, but haven't touched the medium in many years. I wasn't sure how well it would go, given that I haven't used watercolors in so long. But I watched a couple YouTube tutorials to refresh myself, and then dove in to some experimentation.

This was nothing short of therapeutic. The result was much better than I anticipated, and working with the watercolors felt effortless and pleasurable.

20250710_115133.jpg

The two blobs at the top: this was my experiment doing an underpainting in blue and yellow, and then adding peachy pink on top of it (trying to get a realistic and vibrant skin color). It didn't look as great as I'd hoped, but still an interesting experiment.

The lips: This is probably my favorite part of the picture! Keep in mind, my watercolor set does not have a huge variety of colors. I blended the colors there using coral pink, magenta, and burnt umber. I believe there's a bit of violet in there too. But I just really, really love how soft and plump they look, especially with the white highlights.

The lock of hair: I do believe I got the ideal hair color for Maedhros there! Again with my lack of variety in colors, I built it up gradually with yellow ochre, sienna, burnt umber, violet and magenta. I'm so pleased with the richness and depth of the color. It's hard to show the detail of individual strands, but I could add that detail with colored pencil whenever I make a real painting.

The eye: Too tiny to have much detail, but I'm still pleased with the result. I outlined it in blue watercolor and then built up the other colors from there.

The elf: This was originally going to be Maedhros, but as I was starting to build up the color base in yellow ochre and brown, I really liked the blonde. So I made it even more golden and decided it's Glorfindel. 😂 He and Maedhros have near-identical facial structure in my mind! But anyway, I'm really happy with it. I did an underpainting in violet on the face (since I didn't like the muddiness of a blue underpainting). And I discovered I cam just... keep shading the skin with violet. And if it looked too purplish, I just added another layer of coral pink on top.

Overall, I think I might have found my signature art medium. Watercolor painting is quick, so it maintains my attention span and makes me feel like I'm making progress quickly. The colors blend so beautifully and it's very easy to keep layering and blending until I get the exact color I want. And I think the inherent softness of watercolor lends itself well to my art style.
 
I feel so happy and pleased! For the first time in many years, I reconnected with watercolors. I took a watercolor class in high school and really enjoyed it, but haven't touched the medium in many years. I wasn't sure how well it would go, given that I haven't used watercolors in so long. But I watched a couple YouTube tutorials to refresh myself, and then dove in to some experimentation.

This was nothing short of therapeutic. The result was much better than I anticipated, and working with the watercolors felt effortless and pleasurable.

View attachment 43222
The two blobs at the top: this was my experiment doing an underpainting in blue and yellow, and then adding peachy pink on top of it (trying to get a realistic and vibrant skin color). It didn't look as great as I'd hoped, but still an interesting experiment.

The lips: This is probably my favorite part of the picture! Keep in mind, my watercolor set does not have a huge variety of colors. I blended the colors there using coral pink, magenta, and burnt umber. I believe there's a bit of violet in there too. But I just really, really love how soft and plump they look, especially with the white highlights.

The lock of hair: I do believe I got the ideal hair color for Maedhros there! Again with my lack of variety in colors, I built it up gradually with yellow ochre, sienna, burnt umber, violet and magenta. I'm so pleased with the richness and depth of the color. It's hard to show the detail of individual strands, but I could add that detail with colored pencil whenever I make a real painting.

The eye: Too tiny to have much detail, but I'm still pleased with the result. I outlined it in blue watercolor and then built up the other colors from there.

The elf: This was originally going to be Maedhros, but as I was starting to build up the color base in yellow ochre and brown, I really liked the blonde. So I made it even more golden and decided it's Glorfindel. 😂 He and Maedhros have near-identical facial structure in my mind! But anyway, I'm really happy with it. I did an underpainting in violet on the face (since I didn't like the muddiness of a blue underpainting). And I discovered I cam just... keep shading the skin with violet. And if it looked too purplish, I just added another layer of coral pink on top.

Overall, I think I might have found my signature art medium. Watercolor painting is quick, so it maintains my attention span and makes me feel like I'm making progress quickly. The colors blend so beautifully and it's very easy to keep layering and blending until I get the exact color I want. And I think the inherent softness of watercolor lends itself well to my art style.
OH MY GOODNESS! GLORFINDEL LOOKS PERFECT! ☺️❤️👌 I was going to say, the hair looked too golden to be Maedhros, and then you confirmed it.😂

I honestly love the watercolor as much and possibly even more than digital! 🥰
 
Tis been a while since I last posted anything here! I was sketching while listening to Bible study discussion tonight and I'm very pleased with the result.

20250924_220001.jpg


A more realistic Timo than the semi-realistic style I tend to do these days. It occurred to me that I haven't tried to do an actual realistic Maedhros since, well, the Big Drawing. So I made this a little bigger than my usual doodles and sort of sculpted the facial features in using light and dark blobs, rather than starting with a line drawing like I normally do. I think this Blob Method creates realism more easily since there are no hard lines. However, you have to know your subject, and proportions, really well for this method to be successful.

And this is very accurate to my mental picture of Maitimo. I think it really nails it because there is this blend of sharp and soft features. The actual structure of his face is very sharp, with sharp/high cheekbones and a sharp jaw and chin. But his eyes and lips are soft. I actually made his lips a little fuller than I usually draw them and I think it really works. That might be the tiny detail that makes him look just like my mental picture, whereas other attempts haven't been able to fully capture it.

I like this so much that I'm thinking of digitally adding a light wash of color to it.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top