• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Map of Thranduils Palace

Randir Earen

New Member
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
1
hello everybody!

I'm desperately looking for a map, drawing, sketch, whatever of Thranduils Palace. Does anybody know where I can find material about the wood elves of Mirkwood? Their habits, their songs...


Randir Earen
 
Thanks for those links, Maerbenn, though the last three are not functional.

I like the second, coloured one, a lot, though the trees could do with some diversity, but then JRRT was primarily a writer, not an artist/painter.

The third one has too much of an 'open' feel to it, I imagined Mirkwood as being very entangled in every part, and the river not quite as wide...
 
Just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me to see more links become inactive; as I thought I read one time (here) about the Tolkien estate putting a stop to the maps in public domain. I may have mis-read it though.

Anyway, some of those pictures that were posted, can be found in:
J.R.R Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, by Hammond and Scull. An excellent book, I might add.
 
I know for a fact that the link I posted above will not become inactive, unless the map is moved (it will not be removed), but then I will change the link accordingly.
 
Wynn Fonstad's version of the forest gate, path and the palace of Thranduil is the most complete I have found.

It's probably my favourite Tolkien companion although Weapons & Warfare is pretty good too and has loads of great prop illustrations from the film.


Incidentally, if you know "Somewhere Only We Know" by the british indie group Keane, get the video. The forest scene is inspired by Mirkwood.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top