• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

more questions about translations; all opinions are welcomed

cettepuissance

New Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
10
first things first, if you offer a suggestion, please cite your sources...It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that when I can't see how you got from point A (english) to point B (quenya), I kinda get annoyed.

And off we go!

English quote:
"There is not so much love in this world that you might waste it on words alone; action is the art of true love."

Elvish translation:
"Ambaresse olya melme uye, ava quete so er, annaite melmeo carme nas care."

English transliteration:
"In the world much love there is not, don't speak of it alone, truest love's art is action."

1.) I was reading "the languages of middle-earth" by Ruth Noel and it stated that quenya can have either SVO, OVS or OSV sentence structure, so I moved things around till i liked the sound of it =]


2.)I used "Ambar" for "world" because its cited as meaning "the realms of man" which seems like a pretty apt description of the Earth.

3.) I used "olya" for "much" as described by helge fauskangar because i'm relatively sure that its used as an adjective to describe "love"...I could be wrong though; "much" could also be an adverb here...anyone know for sure?

4.) "uye" is listed as "there is not" by H. F. hence why i used it here.

5.) "ava quete" for "don't speak" as listed by H. F.

6.) "so" for "of it". This is really a guess. at "http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/quenya.htm" it says that a standalone object pronoun for "it" exists, "sa". This being so, I used the genitive case marker "-o" and used the rules that were used for "vardo tellumar" thus dropping the "a" and adding "-o". However, I question whether or not this is correct because I am not sure whether or not "sa" should be thought of in the genitive...perhaps it is dative or accusative? not sure here...a better translation may be "about it" but I can't remember where "about" falls when it comes to noun cases.

7.) "er" listed as "alone" by H. F. I read in Ruth Noel's book that in Sindarin, adverbs can be placed after the verb they modify, or even at the end of the sentence, so I did that here, though it may be presumptuous of me to use the same structure that Sindarin has for Quenya, but for the life of me I can't find anything that relates to Quenya adverbs.

8.) "annaite" is "truest" using "naite" and then adding the prefix "an-" which gives the "-est" to adjectives as stated by H. F.

9.) H. F. listed "lacare" as the noun "inaction" and also listed "la-" as being a way to negate nouns...from this I deduced that "care" could easily be the noun "action", but once again I may be making wrong assumptions.

well, there you have it. Thoughts? questions? concerns? Let me know because I'm interested to see what others have to say! =]
 
Ruth S. Noel's book was published years ago and its deductions are now obsolete; later publications of Tolkien's own notes (in Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon) have shed better light on the grammatical workings of Quenya.

Also keeping in mind that Quenya is a highly inflected language like Latin, Finnish and Ancient Greek, we may argue that the following, more "economical" (at least when compared to English &al.) translation possibility is an eligible choice, among others:

Ambaressë ua farya melmë auhatien quettalinnar/quettalínen; tyarië ná carmë annaitë melmeva.

All the components used above should be identifiable via Fauskanger's updated Quenya-English wordlist ( www.uib.no/People/hnohf/wordlists.htm ). *Auhatien is < au+hat- (for the inflection, compare enyalien). I have used the partitive plural of "words" for the vague generic reference. Melmeva displays the possessive-adjectival case.

A bit more "analytical language like" translation, resembling your own might have

Ua ta olya melmë ambaressë in ecë/encië mon auhates quettalínen...
("Not-is so much love world-in that it would be open [= possible] for one to waste-it words-in..."; conditional impf+ië as in Sauron Defeated p. 247 and VT #14)


Also note:

- Yé, negative úyë are the equivalents of ná, ua (etc.) from a pre-LotR stage of development (Fíriel's Song, circa 1940)

- The pronominal verb ending (-n, -l, -s...) is not used when the subject is already mentioned (only number is shown in the verb)
 
Last edited:
Aye, English being the only language I'm fluent in, I try my best to remember inflection, but tend to fail miserably at it, lol.

I like your translation though...if I'm correct, it reads something like, "in the world there is not sufficient love to waste on words, action is the art of truest love." The only thing I'm actually a little unclear on is "tyarie"...I found the verb "tyaro-" which I believe means "to cause".

On another matter, I wrote it down, but I'm not sure how to write "ua" in tengwar...I'm not very good at dipthongs cuz I haven't found many resources that pertain to them.

Here's a link to what I wrote...if you would be so kind :)

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/47793539@N03/5465005233/sizes/m/

Hopefully that works
 
The only thing I'm actually a little unclear on is "tyarie"...I found the verb "tyaro-" which I believe means "to cause".

Yes — I used the longer infinitive of tyar- as a nominal word to indicate the idea "being active". (Also see Tolkien's entry reproduced on The Lost Road p. 362, or entries from KAL to KAT.)

Tyaro would actually be a noun, meaning "doer, actor, agent".


On another matter, I wrote it down, but I'm not sure how to write "ua" in tengwar...I'm not very good at dipthongs cuz I haven't found many resources that pertain to them.

Here's a link to what I wrote...if you would be so kind :)

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/47793539@N03/5465005233/sizes/m/

Hopefully that works

This is one thing that depends on the environment:

1) ua would be written separately with two "short carriers", one for the U-tehta, the other after it for the A-tehta.

2) qua would be written with quessë, with the A-tehta above it.
 
Last edited:
What about the "ie" in "tyarie" though? Would that be romen/I + placeholder/e, or could it be ore/y/e? Because the /i/ sound naturally softens the /r/ that precedes it, right?
 
What about the "ie" in "tyarie" though? Would that be romen/I + placeholder/e, or could it be ore/y/e? Because the /i/ sound naturally softens the /r/ that precedes it, right?

From The Road Goes Ever On (p. 64 & dust jacket) we see that Tolkien wrote the latter part of laurië with rómen+dot above (for "i"), followed by a short carrier with the slash (for "e"). Later in the manuscript sindanóriello and namárië are written the same way.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top