• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

More Riddles in the Dark

Taniquetil/Oiolossë/Amon Uilos, where Manwë and Varda dwellt?

"Finwe was king in Tirion and Olwë in Alqualondë; but Inwe was ever held the High King of all the Elves. He abode thereafter at the feet of Manwë upon Taniquetil." (Sil. near end of Chapter 5).
 
Eledhwen said:
It isn't my turn, but it has been a while...

Tall and green
And seldom seen
My name is the same
As the place I have been
A dwindling realm
Of oak, ash and elm
Till roused up to fight
With long-hidden might

That's Treebeard, methinks!

Here's one:

Hidden power
’Twixt tower and tower
Hidden sight
In deepest night
Perilous danger
For use by stranger

Barley
 
that'll be whatsisname, flour dumpling the mayor, after the cave-in at Michael Delving.
 
Eledhwen said:
that'll be whatsisname, flour dumpling the mayor, after the cave-in at Michael Delving.

You rascal you, that's right (Will Whitfoot)! But the price of answering a riddle is to contribute another, or so I understand. We await thy riddle, O Eledhwen!

Barley
 
Shucks! I thought I'd got away with it.

Let me see now...

He sang a song upon the shore
Of a place he'd never been before.
Eldest of his kind was he
Who had to sail across the sea;
But not alone! Another came
Whose need to journey was the same.
The moorings slipped, the ship sailed West
To where our hero found his rest.

***

Who sang the song?
 

Bilbo and Frodo. I almost said Legolas and Gimli, but nothing was ever said about Legolas being eldest of his kind.

Here's my riddle, an easy one!

“Tweedledum and Tweedledee”
Stabled horses right in Bree

Barley
 
Last edited:
Barliman Butterbur said:
It's "Bandobras," but that's right! But now you owe us a riddle!

Barley
Sorry the "b" must have slipped. I know the name is "Bandobras".
I'll be back with a new riddle very soon.
 
I found one:

He stands upon the hill,
stranded by the bad weaver.
The only thing that can save him,
is the flames that he created.
 
Astaldo said:
I found one:

He stands upon the hill,
stranded by the bad weaver.
The only thing that can save him,
is the flames that he created.

You actually found this one, or you made it up?

Barley
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…