Eryndir
New Member
- Joined
- Jul 13, 2023
- Messages
- 8
Greetings all,
I am writing a book, this is my forth, and this time I'm indulging in one of my all time favorite subjects, fantasy. In this case a Tolkienesque type fantasy with elves, dwarves (or dwarfs), orcs, etc. Most, but not all of his creatures, and adding a few not in his books. It is planned to be a trilogy. I have started a map (gotta have a map) using Inkarnate (awesome map maker, I must admit). I'm not trying to learn conversational Sindarin or Quenya. I'd like to, but just don't have the time. There are plenty of tools for names. What I need help with are place names. I'm using Kingdom of Andúntaur for the home of my elven protagonists. That is, maybe, more properly An Dún Taur which means North West Woods, if I'm translating the words correctly. I'd use Glad, or forest, but tbh I wish Tolkien had chosen another name for forest. I prefer Taur, or woods. So I've mashed An Dún Taur together to come up with Andúntaur, which is probably not proper, but this is a made up language and I'm no linguistic genius like Tolkien. Kingdom is English, of course, so I'm sort of bastardizing my place names. (forgive me) BUT if I add the Sindarin word for Kingdom and add that to the place name I'm using I come up with Andúntauraranië, which is still probably incorrect and just too blinking long. These are the kinds of issues I am running into. I'm probably overthinking this, which I tend to do. I was just going to say screw it, and use what I wanted, but if anyone actually reads this, it will be people like us, and I'd really appreciate some feedback. SO, I went to the experts (that's you guys) to ask for help. If I should be posting this on a different forum please direct me to the proper place.
Help!
Eryndir (my male protagonist's name, and my fantasy name...If I ever decide to do role play...so don't steal it!!) ;-)
I am writing a book, this is my forth, and this time I'm indulging in one of my all time favorite subjects, fantasy. In this case a Tolkienesque type fantasy with elves, dwarves (or dwarfs), orcs, etc. Most, but not all of his creatures, and adding a few not in his books. It is planned to be a trilogy. I have started a map (gotta have a map) using Inkarnate (awesome map maker, I must admit). I'm not trying to learn conversational Sindarin or Quenya. I'd like to, but just don't have the time. There are plenty of tools for names. What I need help with are place names. I'm using Kingdom of Andúntaur for the home of my elven protagonists. That is, maybe, more properly An Dún Taur which means North West Woods, if I'm translating the words correctly. I'd use Glad, or forest, but tbh I wish Tolkien had chosen another name for forest. I prefer Taur, or woods. So I've mashed An Dún Taur together to come up with Andúntaur, which is probably not proper, but this is a made up language and I'm no linguistic genius like Tolkien. Kingdom is English, of course, so I'm sort of bastardizing my place names. (forgive me) BUT if I add the Sindarin word for Kingdom and add that to the place name I'm using I come up with Andúntauraranië, which is still probably incorrect and just too blinking long. These are the kinds of issues I am running into. I'm probably overthinking this, which I tend to do. I was just going to say screw it, and use what I wanted, but if anyone actually reads this, it will be people like us, and I'd really appreciate some feedback. SO, I went to the experts (that's you guys) to ask for help. If I should be posting this on a different forum please direct me to the proper place.
Help!
Eryndir (my male protagonist's name, and my fantasy name...If I ever decide to do role play...so don't steal it!!) ;-)

