• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

PhD Thesis About Constructed Languages

Joined
Dec 3, 2018
Messages
3
Dear language enthusiasts

I’m writing my PhD thesis about constructed languages and their speech communities. I want to find out who the people behind the languages are. I have devised a questionnaire to gather basic information. This will be completed by a second questionnaire and in-depth interviews.

I’d really appreciate your help. So, if you have 5 to 15 minutes, please follow the link below and fill in the questionnaire.

Here is the link: https://conlangsstepone.limequery.com/493868?lang=en

If you have any questions or concerns, just comment below.

Thank you so much!


Best regards,

Lisa
 
I’ve answered your survey, but like most such surveys, I find it vague and ill constructed.

It asks if I speak any colang, which I don’t. But I’ve studied a little Quenya and Sindarin, and some years ago I studied some Lojban. But I don’t “speak” any of them, so I had to answer “no”.

Also, the “How would you describe people” questions are baffling. Why would I assume that anyone learning colangs would have any specific shared characteristics?

It seems to be asking for prejudicial opinion. I have none.
 
Dear Phil

First of all, thank you for participating!

Your points of criticsm have been noted. I just want to point out (again) that this only a first step, and of course that seems a bit vague in the beginning.

I hope that you have listed those issues in the comment section at the end of the questionnaire since that would help with my research.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Lisa
 
Sorry for being so negative...surveys are a pet peave of mine. I did put these comments on the form, and if you’re willing, I’ll definitely be interested in your follow ups.
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top