• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

📊poll: who is your favorite MEN/EDAIN character?

Who is the best MEN/EDAIN character?

  • Hador

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beren Erchamion

    Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Hurin

    Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Huor

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Turin Turambar

    Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Elros Tar-Minyatur

    Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Tar-Atanamir

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Ar-Adhunakor

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ar-Pharazon

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Elendil

    Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Tuor

    Votes: 8 8.2%

  • Total voters
    98
Poll's over?

I woulda voted for Tuor myself....

Turin's fun to read, but a prideful jerk who was his own worst enemy (except for Glaurung!).

His father, Hurin, you gotta love, if just for defying Morgoth....

'But it was never said that he (Hurin) asked Morgoth for mercy for either himself or his family.' (After Morgoth cursed them)

Hurin however, especially if you read 'The Wanderings of Hurin' in HoME, is such a tragic & bitter character after being released by Morgoth - Laying Brethil & The People of Haleth to waste & indirectly causing the Fall of Thingol in Doriath that it's impossible to call him a 'favorite' character.

Beren's just too unbelievably good.
I mean, the guy stands there in love while the leaves fall & winter turns into spring?
Gimme a break - He would've froze to death and/or starved ......

But you gotta like the part when he holds out his hand to Thingol upon fulfilling the quest of The Silmaril & names himself 'Camlost', One Hand. :eek:

Of the Numenoreans, Ar-Pharazon takes the cake. What a pompous ass who got his just deserts, although Sauron the Deceiver played a BIG part in that act.
 
I added Tuor to the poll. How could he have been missing of all people?
eek2.gif
I agree! Tuor has always been one of my favorites, but at the moment I'd like to name Amandil. I admire what he did, it showed strength and courage like few Numenoreans had. That could be said of all the Faithful though. But Amandil's sacrifice was one of the greatest among men at the time.
 
I just had to vote for Hurin, because though there arent many votes for him so far, he is probibly the most mighty character on there so far, because when he was captured by morgoth, he laughed in his face when he was questioned, thus showing a complete disobediance to the dark lord. Therefore he has earned my vote.;)
 
Why isn't Andreth on that list? Huh? :rolleyes: She may not be 'male', but she is Edain, and happens to be my favorite of their species.

Couldn't vote in the poll becuase I really can't stomach any of them.

Least favorite would definitely be Túrin though. There aren't words in the English language strong enough to describe my hatred.
 
Beren by far. The man had gumption and balls.

Think about it. Here are the highest elves and Morgoth lusting and killing after the Silmarils, and Beren mocks an elven king's bribe to give Luthien to him if he gets the Silmaril, saying that it was a useless jewel to trade for such a fair maiden.

Then the man goes in to the lair of Morgoth to win the hand of Luthien.

What a dude!
 
I would have liked to see Tar-Aldarion in that group. Aldarion and Erendis is one of my all time favorite tales (though unfinished), and he was “the greatest Elf-friend among Men” in the words of Gil-galad in a time when Sauron was threatening. But, I probably would have picked Turin anyway. No matter how you slice it, he was just awesome. :cool:
 
I voted for Tuor in the poll - I think he is a stand out character in the Silmarillion. Somebody I always liked. He seemed a bit of natural hero - very charismatic - so unlike his lunatic cousin.

I liked Aldarion too Illuin - though he did annoy me quite a bit in the Tale of Aldarion and Erendis. Sometimes I just felt like shouting 'just give her a hug you big muppet' maybe that's just me though.

Also I know this is the Silmarillion forum but where is Aragorn? Maybe not a popular choice but he was up there with the greats. He was a ranger's ranger and a king's king. Cool guy...:)
 
from Turgon
Also I know this is the Silmarillion forum but where is Aragorn?


Well, this may appear a bit cliché (especially since I‘m a Silmarillion fan infinitely more than a LOTR fan), but in all honesty had Aragorn been a choice I would have voted for him. Being very popular would not discourage me from choosing him. He was the whole package, and had great wisdom; he was fierce, fearless, kind, generous. And Aragorn was not Arrogant;) ….big plus. At any point in time, during any of the days of old, he would have been THE choice for a leader (even among Elves). I would have hung with him. But, this is The Sil, not LOTR. Wow; now that I think about it, Aldarion and Erendis is UT, not The Sil…ha! :rolleyes:

I voted for Tuor in the poll

Yeah...Tuor was right up there with Turin…and of course, so was Beren. Tough choice.
 
The poll aside, Tuor is my all-time favourite human in Silmarillion. He didn't exactly have a rosy start in life, but he made good, unlike his cousin Turin. He gets a personal visit from Ulmo, is the first Man to enter Gondolin, marries the High King's daughter and becomes father to the greatest mariner in the history of Arda. He is the grandfather to an entire nation (Numenor) and through him, ultimately we get Aragorn who saves the world.
What's there not to like?
 
Don't have a strong preference... but I might tend towards Hurin. I also liked Tuor and his story. And like Huor and Beren. But I have to admire Hurin... and his and Morwen's story is the most sad... its just not right what happened to them!

The only thing that really surprises me about the poll is the number of poeple who voted for Turin. Turin is not a favorite of mine, though I feel bad for what became of his life.

One not in the poll I like is Ardamir.
 
Turin definitely, he was the most realistic, after all his failings and mistakes there was still good in him just like humanity itself, everybody else just seems sooo idealized, maybe its just me, also i'm a sucker for tragedic characters
 
Sorry for resurrecting old thread...

Definitely Turin Turambar - he's one of the most complex, tragic and, yes, human characters in the entire legendarium.
 
Would have voted for Tuor's son (a bright star in the sky, and the saviour of all ME), but he's not on the list...
So I had to vote for Tuor and thereby all of his family and ancestors right down to Elessar.

But for best history, I would vote for "Turin".... Nothing over or besides the Narn...
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top