
That what my editions say too. But were earlier ones different? This would have been in a library book the early 70s, if it was real at all.
Clearly then I have been going mad, and doing so for at least 30 years...... 🤪
That's not my recollection, from (I thought) before I read LOTR a few years later. But clearly it's something my mind has created, not actually happened.Maybe you're thinking of Gandalf speaking of Radagast at The Council of Elrond.
"...he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."
Gandalf recounts his conversation with Radagast while meeting him along a roadside:
"Stay a moment! We shall need your help, and the help of all things that will give it. Send out messages to all the beasts and birds that are your friends. Tell them to bring news of anything that bears on this matter..."