Harad,
acutally, I have to think that the more time spent between the destruction of the ring and the scouring the more of a chance it has to work. The reason it seems to work in the book is because so very much happens in that time (3 chapters) and it's about time for another major event. If ROK was a 2:30 hour movie (+ credits), having the destruction of the ring at about 1:45 would allow the scouring to work. However I believe they'll probably put it closer to 2:10 in which case squeezing the scouring in between 2:20-2:25 would just be too soon for another event of this magnitude/type. So, what you have is that you would absolutely need this breathing room before the scouring to make it work but that breathing room would extend the movie so long after the big climax that the movie as a whole might seem anticlimatic.
It's really too bad. This comes from this whole cinematic effort treating LOTR as three distinct books and hence three distinct movies rather than one book and hence one movie (albeit in three parts). Certainly if you sat down with one long nine hour movie the scouring would fit in nicely but to make ROK work on it's own on some level, the scouring just doesn't fit into the dramatic arc.
Still if it's included on the level I described in my previous post, I'll be reasonably satisfied with the compromise.
acutally, I have to think that the more time spent between the destruction of the ring and the scouring the more of a chance it has to work. The reason it seems to work in the book is because so very much happens in that time (3 chapters) and it's about time for another major event. If ROK was a 2:30 hour movie (+ credits), having the destruction of the ring at about 1:45 would allow the scouring to work. However I believe they'll probably put it closer to 2:10 in which case squeezing the scouring in between 2:20-2:25 would just be too soon for another event of this magnitude/type. So, what you have is that you would absolutely need this breathing room before the scouring to make it work but that breathing room would extend the movie so long after the big climax that the movie as a whole might seem anticlimatic.
It's really too bad. This comes from this whole cinematic effort treating LOTR as three distinct books and hence three distinct movies rather than one book and hence one movie (albeit in three parts). Certainly if you sat down with one long nine hour movie the scouring would fit in nicely but to make ROK work on it's own on some level, the scouring just doesn't fit into the dramatic arc.
Still if it's included on the level I described in my previous post, I'll be reasonably satisfied with the compromise.

