• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Drawing SRG's drawings

Aww! So bittersweet and tender. 🥺 So many emotions and things to process for them, and yet, they still love and have each other. They still love you, dear Tyelko. ❤️

Curvo looks rather small beside his brothers. 😂 This is a rare occurrence of him outwardly showing physical affection and comfort though, reserved for his closest family for times like this. 🥺

I also love how naturally their positions shift in each frame too.
 
Aww! So bittersweet and tender. 🥺 So many emotions and things to process for them, and yet, they still love and have each other. They still love you, dear Tyelko. ❤️
Indeed we do. 🥺


Curvo looks rather small beside his brothers. 😂
He is the odd one out height-wise among the 3Cs. Even his ghost form is small (though that kind of has some sad undertones too - he has been worn down and spent, and there's not much left of him by the time he gets to Mandos...).


This is a rare occurrence of him outwardly showing physical affection and comfort though, reserved for his closest family for times like this. 🥺
Curvo is very gentle here, with his caring emotions more obvious in his face and actions. It seems unusual, as he may not always be so expressive, even with close family. But this is Tyelko we're talking about. Of course Celegorm's distress would move him so much. 🥲


I also love how naturally their positions shift in each frame too.
Thank you for noticing and pointing it out! Something which I find really satisfying (and necessary!) is making sure my characters' body language fits the situation. I am illustrating a dynamic scene after all: they can't all just be sitting stiffly until I need them to move or interact with each other.

Facial expression conveys the emotion of the situation at a glance. Body language also conveys mood, in a subtler way. It's not something you really focus on, especially if the posture changes or gestures are small, but your brain will notice it anyway. Body language helps the expressions seen in the face to feel more natural: it both matches (and thus emphasises) the expression, and provides additional nuances to the character's mood.
When drawing a sequence of images, like a comic strip, it also provides a sense of continuity: the facial expressions will change immediately from panel to panel, but the body language will not always change so fast.
 
Help

Two drawings about the relationship between Maedhros and Curufin.

help I.jpg


In this first one, Curufin is very young. Just over one year old, maybe.

Earlier in the day, he went outside to explore the gardens by himself. He started trying to climb a tree, since it was something he had seen Tyelko do before lots of times, but he had never managed to get very far himself.
To little Curvo's surprise and delight, he seemed to have gotten the hang of it this time, and he slowly climbed higher and higher.

At last, Curvo reached the top of the trunk. And he became mesmerised by the shiny green glow of Laurelin's light passing through the translucent waving leaves.
He started crawling up one of the branches to get to the shiny leaves. The branch got thinner and thinner towards the end, and wobbled a lot under him. He lost his footing and slipped off, now only holding on with his hands. The sudden force of him dropping broke the thin branch, but didn't entirely snap it. Now the end of the branch was bent downwards at a perpendicular angle. Curvo wrapped his legs around the branch and changed his grip, clinging with his whole body to the vertically dangling branch end.

Curvo was now quite stuck, and didn't dare move. He was also paralysed with fear at this completely new and unexpected situation, so he didn't make a sound (it's not a natural reaction for him to shout or cry loudly anyway).

And nobody came to look for him, as Tyelko was also out somewhere at that time, and everyone assumed Curvo was with him, as he often usually would be. So poor little Curvo remained stuck there for quite a while.

Until...

Maitimo came out into the gardens for a breath of fresh air. He went for a walk, wanting to stretch his legs, as he had been sitting at his desk for a long time.
As he passed by some trees, he heard a small little squeaky whimper. He turned and was met with the unusual and disconcerting sight of tiny Curvo clinging to a broken tree branch, his eyes shut tight with the effort of holding on for so long.
Thanks to Maitimo's height, Curvo was just above his head, so he was easily able to reach up and take him off the branch.

As soon as Maitimo took him down, Curvo switched to clinging to his clothing and buried his face in his shoulder. He didn't move or say anything as Maitimo carried him back inside. But silent tears did trail down his cheeks.

Maitimo told their parents what happened, and Fëanáro tried to take Curvo from him, as of course, they all know that's the best and most unfailing way to soothe an upset Curvo. But to everyone's utter surprise, Curvo didn't let go of Maitimo, and remained there with his face buried in his clothing.

So Maitimo had to sit down for a while, still holding Curvo. Fëanáro patched up the small scrapes and blisters he got, mostly on his hands. And Curvo soon fell asleep, because it was very tiring to cling onto the branch for such a long time.
Eventually, Curvo felt recovered enough to move away, and got down from Maitimo's lap on his own.

Although little Curvo didn't have the words to express these new thoughts and feelings, what happened was that he felt abandoned. Being so young, he didn't yet understand that his parents were not all-knowing, since usually they would come and help him whenever something went wrong. And that day, he had the worst experience of his short life, where things went more wrong than they ever had before, and nobody came.

Therefore he clung to Maitimo in relief and gratitude that he came to help him. And refused the comfort of his parents in that moment, for it would be cold comfort, as they were not there when he needed them.

But having the short attention span of a small child, Curvo was pretty much immediately back to normal the next day, though a bit more wary about the outdoors for a while.

===​

As for the second drawing, it is set quite a bit later on, after Fingon rescued Maedhros from his torment on Thangorodrim.

help II.jpg


In the great house by Lake Mithrim’s shore, Curufin sits on the edge of his bed. His son, no longer a child, but a half-grown youth, lies asleep on the other bed. Yet Curufin himself cannot find rest.

Where lie the roots of his unease tonight?
Perhaps it is that the house is shared between his family and Fingolfin’s.
Perhaps it is the ache of Fëanor’s absence, growing sharp again, as it often does.
Perhaps it is his brother.

Curufin turns his gaze towards the bedchamber’s door.
He finds himself getting up, opening it, and gazing out. Down the empty hallway. A few lamps burn low here and there.

He walks down the hall soundlessly, drawn to the root of one of his pains—much loved, long missed, brother—!
His mouth is dry, his palms are damp, his jaw clenched, his stomach in a half-hearted knot. But he pays no mind to these things. For this is life now, and whether his body is well or not, his mind goes on living, and he will use his mind and body as he always has. Despite.

He pushes open the door to Maedhros’ chamber and steps in, feet sinking slightly in the soft rug. The only light comes from the large fireplace, warm and blazing.

Curufin barely glances aside at the healer as he departs and closes the door behind him, leaving them some time alone together. For the sight in front of him… his mouth twists. Maedhros is lying in bed, propped up with a few pillows. He lies still, as though asleep. But a sliver of bleary, dulled light can still be seen beneath each darkened eyelid.

He looks so… sad, and uncomfortable, lying there on his own.

Maedhros’ eyes open wider as Curufin approaches. The light of the fire reflects feverishly in them, and upon his pale brow.

Maedhros lets out an involuntary gasp of surprise at the slight shift of the mattress, as Curufin cautiously sits on the edge of the bed, facing him. He tries to smile—it’s alright, Curvo, it was only surprise—but his face will not respond properly. It has… forgotten how?

Curufin shuffles a bit closer and softly touches his knuckles to those of his brother’s remaining hand.
“How goes it with you, Maitimo?” His voice is quiet and serious. And earnest. He has not the words to say all he truly feels.
“Are you comfortable enough to sleep?”
He has an idea of how he could help. He is indirectly asking for permission, allowing his brother to gently refuse by affirming that yes, he is comfortable.

Maedhros hears all that is unsaid. A lump forms in his throat. He waits until it ebbs away before speaking.
Trying to speak. The words are there in his mind. Yet they cannot find their way to his mouth. His jaws remain shut, his tongue unmoving, his lips frozen.
He could speak before. He could speak through the pain of his raw wounds, through the agony of the early healing process. Why no more? And why now? When he is so much better, when his pain is so much less, reduced to nothing much of the time?
It concerns and confuses all who come to see him. Maedhros huffs, ashamed and exasperated, his eyes glazed with a teary veil which burns but is not enough to weep with.

Curufin’s throat tightens, and there is a faint sinking feeling somewhere in his heart. From the way he looked at him, it seemed Maedhros wanted to reply, very much wanted to. And now he looks… Curufin knows this feeling, somehow. And he does not want his brother left alone in it.

He will offer his help, then. With a faint smile, he asks.
“May I join you, brother?”
He drops his gaze slightly. “It may be a comfort for you. And, well… you know me. The bedding here looks so warm and soft. It is hard for me to resist.”

Maedhros’ lips tremble. He holds out his hand towards Curufin, palm upwards, beckoning him closer.

Curufin stands up and pulls back the covers a bit, before removing his shoes and getting into bed beside his brother. He rests his head gently against Maedhros’.
“Would you like me to be your pillow? …I know it is something that helps me sleep. With Tyelko.”
He feels Maedhros nod hesitantly.

“Alright then.” Curufin’s voice is soft. He reaches under his brother’s shoulders with one arm, cradling his upper body in a kind of hug, then pulls him closer so that Maedhros is leaning against him. It is a rather peculiar feeling, for never before has Curufin been able to lift his brother alone like that. He is so light and thin, and feels so different in almost every way from the Maedhros he knew before.

With one hand, Curufin rearranges the pillows a bit, so that Maedhros will be able to lie flat in a comfortable position, even with his head resting on Curufin. Then he leans forward and places a hand under Maedhros’ knee.
“I will need to move you further down a bit, so you can rest your head on my chest.”

He does not need to put as much effort into it as he thought he would need to, for Maedhros himself tries to help him by moving his legs and shuffling down a bit, as much as he is able to.

Curufin lies back against the pillows, and relaxes his hold around his brother’s shoulders.
Maedhros rests his head against Curufin’s chest, and closes his eyes. His hand curls itself into a closed fist of its own accord, holding a fold of the blankets over Curufin’s leg. As if to say: stay… stay.
Curufin lightly presses his cheek to the top of Maedhros’ head for a moment. The relaxed, trusting weight of his brother moves his heart.

Soon, Maedhros' breathing becomes slow and regular.

Curufin, too, closes his eyes. And he hopes no-one outside his nearest family will come in and disturb them, for his heart is soft, and he will not be able to raise its walls up in time to present them with his usual matter-of-fact speech and cool demeanour. It would be an intrusion he is not prepared for.
Though he will abide the risk. Perish the thought of doing otherwise. For this is more important.




Note: It is significant that Curufin called Maedhros ‘Maitimo’, rather than ’Nelyo’, as he usually would. ’Nelyo’ is a shortened form of his father-name ’Nelyafinwë’, and Curufin uses it as an affectionate sign of respect towards the eldest. (By contrast, Curufin calls Maglor ‘Laurë’, a shortened version of his mother-name, as Maglor is just his big brother, not the heir/leader.)
The few times when Curufin uses ‘Maitimo’ are times when he is speaking to him without any regard to this hierarchy - Maitimo is just his brother. It’s kind of the verbal equivalent of Curufin snuggling up to him.

===​

Other notes and thoughts I had during the drawing process:

In my mind (and maybe some of you guys have noticed this in our various RPs), Curufin’s way of looking after or helping his brothers changes after he has Celebrimbor. It’s like his dad instincts come out automatically with them as well, even if he’s younger than most of them.
I think it gives an additional heartwarming layer of meaning to Nerdanel’s name for him, ‘Atarinkë’. Maybe there is some level of foreshadowing about Curufin's future self there too, and it’s not only a simple description of him being similar to Fëanor.

Something I noticed while drawing: Maedhros’ arms are about the same width as Curufin’s, which is rather concerning, given that he’s almost two heads taller than him. 🫠

This is the point where my design for younger Maedhros transforms into the one I have for his older self. Though some of the things shown in this drawing will reverse themselves or improve somewhat as he heals:
  • scar on the left corner of his mouth
  • damaged brow/eye socket on the left side, so that the eyelid doesn’t open as wide anymore
  • right shoulder higher than the left, and the collarbone pulled out of place
  • more greyish and sickly skin tone
  • the colour of his hair is less rich and deep: it is more dull and bleached through exposure to the elements and inadequate nutrition

I attached the two drawings again below, so you can more easily compare the similarities and differences between the two of them.
I also posted them together here on Cara: it’s easy to scroll between them there.

 

Attachments

  • help I.jpg
    help I.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 58
  • help II.jpg
    help II.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 58
Yay! They're finally and done and posted!
Even if I occasionally got sneak peaks of them during their production, the final results still caught me by surprise!

I didn't quite understood the story behind them (I'm not sure it was something you came up with after sketching them or if they inspired it in the first place), but they made this whole scene even more precious and wholesome than it was before which is quite a fit. Imagining this little guy hanging from the branches, scared and alone!--
Tyelko would have tried to help if he had been there, though he himself was but a child and would have likely made it worse. I believe this event is also something that shaped Curvo's view of Timo later in life. Babies that age are quite impressionable.

Now, back to the drawing! I really love how we can see that adult Curvo is just his grown up baby face. A tricky thing to achieve, but you have done it well. And of course, as always, there are the amazing facial expressions, conveying feelings and thoughts the clearest.
I also really like the colors. They're very Curvo-y and Timo-y. I also really like the color of Timo's hair. It's very rich and vibrant, which make the awful state of him in the second drawing stand out even more, considering how it's very different from how it looked like as a youth. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the passage of time actually makes red hair lighter and lighter, which we can see in comparison to the young Maitimo. So it not only looks less rich and healthy, the lighter shade of red does actually make sense in more ways than one.

Besides the hair, I think you did a really good job with showing just how sickly he looks. The shading around the ribs and the bones look very life-like and real, considering this is more of a cartoonish style of drawing. Something I have not seen before, as I told you once. Something unique to you.


Vampvo somehow managing to look paler than a pale and sickly Maitimo is what gets me! Porcelain doll never misses a day of SPF. He looks serene in some way, and it was perhaps what convinced Maitimo to let him in. I imagine others, as much as they wanted, couldn't quite hide their troubles behind their masks, or perhaps it was something even a sickly Maitimo could see. I imagine this would be a case for Kano, at least, considering their closeness.
So having Curvo with him in that time was perhaps the best thing he could have, even though they clash and fail to understand each other most times.


And the background! It's very Servo-like, if you get what I mean! I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's probably what it needs to look like anyway. The fireplace gives a cozy air to the room, and I can easily imagine them waking up to the light of Arien falling over their faces.

Amazing as always, my bro! You should be glad you spent so much time over details cause this perfect!
 
I didn't quite understood the story behind them (I'm not sure it was something you came up with after sketching them or if they inspired it in the first place), but they made this whole scene even more precious and wholesome than it was before which is quite a fit.
For the one with baby Curvo, I imagined the story first. Which inspired me to create this drawing. The story doesn't really have any further context - it's just something my brain conjured up when thinking about the relationship between Maitimo and Curvo.
However, for the second one, the mental image of this moment came first, and I only started imagining the story/scenario leading up to it when I was close to finishing the drawing.


I also really like the color of Timo's hair. It's very rich and vibrant, which make the awful state of him in the second drawing stand out even more, considering how it's very different from how it looked like as a youth. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the passage of time actually makes red hair lighter and lighter, which we can see in comparison to the young Maitimo. So it not only looks less rich and healthy, the lighter shade of red does actually make sense in more ways than one.
The change in hair colour was an intentional choice. Maedhros' hair would have gotten bleached and dulled due to exposure to the elements and inadequate nutrition while he was chained to Thangorodrim.


I appreciate you pointing out all the details you liked! Because I did struggle a bit trying to get everything looking 'right'. For some reason, I had a lot of doubts throughout the process of colouring these drawings. They didn't feel as smooth and straightforward to complete as many of my other drawings. But I agree with you, I really like how many of the colours turned out, and how I shaded Maedhros' skin in the second drawing.


And the background! It's very Servo-like, if you get what I mean! I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's probably what it needs to look like anyway. The fireplace gives a cozy air to the room, and I can easily imagine them waking up to the light of Arien falling over their faces.
Well, I should hope it's very me-like! 😂
I think I do get what you mean, though. It's simple and colourful (even if dim due to the lighting), and the style of the room and furniture is vaguely medieval. Kind of like things you see in my comics.

The image I had in my head while imagining the story behind this scene was very cozy indeed. All very dim, dark brown, soft red, flickering fire, warm and quiet atmosphere. But a bit dark and uneasy, not serene and peaceful. And yet there is still a kind of peace and familiarity to that darkness. I tried to match the colours and lighting I saw in my mind, to give the drawing the same feel as the story.

And yes, once the day comes, there will be soft sunlight in the room. :3
Interestingly, I based the design of the window on something people actually did before glass windows became more common. The window has parchment in its wooden frame (very thinly scraped animal skin). This will let light through, but you won't be able to see through it, like you can with glass. Such a window would be quicker and simpler to assemble than a glass window, I'd imagine, so I think the first houses and fortresses of the Noldor by Lake Mithrim might have had them.
 
Help

Two drawings about the relationship between Maedhros and Curufin.

View attachment 44540

In this first one, Curufin is very young. Just over one year old, maybe.

Earlier in the day, he went outside to explore the gardens by himself. He started trying to climb a tree, since it was something he had seen Tyelko do before lots of times, but he had never managed to get very far himself.
To little Curvo's surprise and delight, he seemed to have gotten the hang of it this time, and he slowly climbed higher and higher.

At last, Curvo reached the top of the trunk. And he became mesmerised by the shiny green glow of Laurelin's light passing through the translucent waving leaves.
He started crawling up one of the branches to get to the shiny leaves. The branch got thinner and thinner towards the end, and wobbled a lot under him. He lost his footing and slipped off, now only holding on with his hands. The sudden force of him dropping broke the thin branch, but didn't entirely snap it. Now the end of the branch was bent downwards at a perpendicular angle. Curvo wrapped his legs around the branch and changed his grip, clinging with his whole body to the vertically dangling branch end.

Curvo was now quite stuck, and didn't dare move. He was also paralysed with fear at this completely new and unexpected situation, so he didn't make a sound (it's not a natural reaction for him to shout or cry loudly anyway).

And nobody came to look for him, as Tyelko was also out somewhere at that time, and everyone assumed Curvo was with him, as he often usually would be. So poor little Curvo remained stuck there for quite a while.

Until...

Maitimo came out into the gardens for a breath of fresh air. He went for a walk, wanting to stretch his legs, as he had been sitting at his desk for a long time.
As he passed by some trees, he heard a small little squeaky whimper. He turned and was met with the unusual and disconcerting sight of tiny Curvo clinging to a broken tree branch, his eyes shut tight with the effort of holding on for so long.
Thanks to Maitimo's height, Curvo was just above his head, so he was easily able to reach up and take him off the branch.

As soon as Maitimo took him down, Curvo switched to clinging to his clothing and buried his face in his shoulder. He didn't move or say anything as Maitimo carried him back inside. But silent tears did trail down his cheeks.

Maitimo told their parents what happened, and Fëanáro tried to take Curvo from him, as of course, they all know that's the best and most unfailing way to soothe an upset Curvo. But to everyone's utter surprise, Curvo didn't let go of Maitimo, and remained there with his face buried in his clothing.

So Maitimo had to sit down for a while, still holding Curvo. Fëanáro patched up the small scrapes and blisters he got, mostly on his hands. And Curvo soon fell asleep, because it was very tiring to cling onto the branch for such a long time.
Eventually, Curvo felt recovered enough to move away, and got down from Maitimo's lap on his own.

Although little Curvo didn't have the words to express these new thoughts and feelings, what happened was that he felt abandoned. Being so young, he didn't yet understand that his parents were not all-knowing, since usually they would come and help him whenever something went wrong. And that day, he had the worst experience of his short life, where things went more wrong than they ever had before, and nobody came.

Therefore he clung to Maitimo in relief and gratitude that he came to help him. And refused the comfort of his parents in that moment, for it would be cold comfort, as they were not there when he needed them.

But having the short attention span of a small child, Curvo was pretty much immediately back to normal the next day, though a bit more wary about the outdoors for a while.

===​

As for the second drawing, it is set quite a bit later on, after Fingon rescued Maedhros from his torment on Thangorodrim.

View attachment 44541

In the great house by Lake Mithrim’s shore, Curufin sits on the edge of his bed. His son, no longer a child, but a half-grown youth, lies asleep on the other bed. Yet Curufin himself cannot find rest.

Where lie the roots of his unease tonight?
Perhaps it is that the house is shared between his family and Fingolfin’s.
Perhaps it is the ache of Fëanor’s absence, growing sharp again, as it often does.
Perhaps it is his brother.

Curufin turns his gaze towards the bedchamber’s door.
He finds himself getting up, opening it, and gazing out. Down the empty hallway. A few lamps burn low here and there.

He walks down the hall soundlessly, drawn to the root of one of his pains—much loved, long missed, brother—!
His mouth is dry, his palms are damp, his jaw clenched, his stomach in a half-hearted knot. But he pays no mind to these things. For this is life now, and whether his body is well or not, his mind goes on living, and he will use his mind and body as he always has. Despite.

He pushes open the door to Maedhros’ chamber and steps in, feet sinking slightly in the soft rug. The only light comes from the large fireplace, warm and blazing.

Curufin barely glances aside at the healer as he departs and closes the door behind him, leaving them some time alone together. For the sight in front of him… his mouth twists. Maedhros is lying in bed, propped up with a few pillows. He lies still, as though asleep. But a sliver of bleary, dulled light can still be seen beneath each darkened eyelid.

He looks so… sad, and uncomfortable, lying there on his own.

Maedhros’ eyes open wider as Curufin approaches. The light of the fire reflects feverishly in them, and upon his pale brow.

Maedhros lets out an involuntary gasp of surprise at the slight shift of the mattress, as Curufin cautiously sits on the edge of the bed, facing him. He tries to smile—it’s alright, Curvo, it was only surprise—but his face will not respond properly. It has… forgotten how?

Curufin shuffles a bit closer and softly touches his knuckles to those of his brother’s remaining hand.
“How goes it with you, Maitimo?” His voice is quiet and serious. And earnest. He has not the words to say all he truly feels.
“Are you comfortable enough to sleep?”
He has an idea of how he could help. He is indirectly asking for permission, allowing his brother to gently refuse by affirming that yes, he is comfortable.

Maedhros hears all that is unsaid. A lump forms in his throat. He waits until it ebbs away before speaking.
Trying to speak. The words are there in his mind. Yet they cannot find their way to his mouth. His jaws remain shut, his tongue unmoving, his lips frozen.
He could speak before. He could speak through the pain of his raw wounds, through the agony of the early healing process. Why no more? And why now? When he is so much better, when his pain is so much less, reduced to nothing much of the time?
It concerns and confuses all who come to see him. Maedhros huffs, ashamed and exasperated, his eyes glazed with a teary veil which burns but is not enough to weep with.

Curufin’s throat tightens, and there is a faint sinking feeling somewhere in his heart. From the way he looked at him, it seemed Maedhros wanted to reply, very much wanted to. And now he looks… Curufin knows this feeling, somehow. And he does not want his brother left alone in it.

He will offer his help, then. With a faint smile, he asks.
“May I join you, brother?”
He drops his gaze slightly. “It may be a comfort for you. And, well… you know me. The bedding here looks so warm and soft. It is hard for me to resist.”

Maedhros’ lips tremble. He holds out his hand towards Curufin, palm upwards, beckoning him closer.

Curufin stands up and pulls back the covers a bit, before removing his shoes and getting into bed beside his brother. He rests his head gently against Maedhros’.
“Would you like me to be your pillow? …I know it is something that helps me sleep. With Tyelko.”
He feels Maedhros nod hesitantly.

“Alright then.” Curufin’s voice is soft. He reaches under his brother’s shoulders with one arm, cradling his upper body in a kind of hug, then pulls him closer so that Maedhros is leaning against him. It is a rather peculiar feeling, for never before has Curufin been able to lift his brother alone like that. He is so light and thin, and feels so different in almost every way from the Maedhros he knew before.

With one hand, Curufin rearranges the pillows a bit, so that Maedhros will be able to lie flat in a comfortable position, even with his head resting on Curufin. Then he leans forward and places a hand under Maedhros’ knee.
“I will need to move you further down a bit, so you can rest your head on my chest.”

He does not need to put as much effort into it as he thought he would need to, for Maedhros himself tries to help him by moving his legs and shuffling down a bit, as much as he is able to.

Curufin lies back against the pillows, and relaxes his hold around his brother’s shoulders.
Maedhros rests his head against Curufin’s chest, and closes his eyes. His hand curls itself into a closed fist of its own accord, holding a fold of the blankets over Curufin’s leg. As if to say: stay… stay.
Curufin lightly presses his cheek to the top of Maedhros’ head for a moment. The relaxed, trusting weight of his brother moves his heart.

Soon, Maedhros' breathing becomes slow and regular.

Curufin, too, closes his eyes. And he hopes no-one outside his nearest family will come in and disturb them, for his heart is soft, and he will not be able to raise its walls up in time to present them with his usual matter-of-fact speech and cool demeanour. It would be an intrusion he is not prepared for.
Though he will abide the risk. Perish the thought of doing otherwise. For this is more important.




Note: It is significant that Curufin called Maedhros ‘Maitimo’, rather than ’Nelyo’, as he usually would. ’Nelyo’ is a shortened form of his father-name ’Nelyafinwë’, and Curufin uses it as an affectionate sign of respect towards the eldest. (By contrast, Curufin calls Maglor ‘Laurë’, a shortened version of his mother-name, as Maglor is just his big brother, not the heir/leader.)
The few times when Curufin uses ‘Maitimo’ are times when he is speaking to him without any regard to this hierarchy - Maitimo is just his brother. It’s kind of the verbal equivalent of Curufin snuggling up to him.

===​

Other notes and thoughts I had during the drawing process:

In my mind (and maybe some of you guys have noticed this in our various RPs), Curufin’s way of looking after or helping his brothers changes after he has Celebrimbor. It’s like his dad instincts come out automatically with them as well, even if he’s younger than most of them.
I think it gives an additional heartwarming layer of meaning to Nerdanel’s name for him, ‘Atarinkë’. Maybe there is some level of foreshadowing about Curufin's future self there too, and it’s not only a simple description of him being similar to Fëanor.

Something I noticed while drawing: Maedhros’ arms are about the same width as Curufin’s, which is rather concerning, given that he’s almost two heads taller than him. 🫠

This is the point where my design for younger Maedhros transforms into the one I have for his older self. Though some of the things shown in this drawing will reverse themselves or improve somewhat as he heals:
  • scar on the left corner of his mouth
  • damaged brow/eye socket on the left side, so that the eyelid doesn’t open as wide anymore
  • right shoulder higher than the left, and the collarbone pulled out of place
  • more greyish and sickly skin tone
  • the colour of his hair is less rich and deep: it is more dull and bleached through exposure to the elements and inadequate nutrition

I attached the two drawings again below, so you can more easily compare the similarities and differences between the two of them.
I also posted them together here on Cara: it’s easy to scroll between them there.

I've been observing a pattern in your version of Curufin and(I cannot remember now if this has been confirmed before or not), would Curufin be considered autistic? Much of his mindset and many of his reactions and ways of communicating seem as though it would be so.
I have a vague feeling I've asked this before, so if I have, then I apologize for not remembering.

I found both stories very precious and adorable in their own ways. Young Curvo needing help and finding the need to rely on his own strength a while to hold on until help arrives, older Curvo using his understanding of his brother and his own strength to help him in his time of need now.

How much should such a bond be treasured? It should be held as precious as rubies, as valuable as the most rare spices. Behold, and give thanks, for family is not always this way, and natural affection is to be praised in its display.

Of all the stories I have read either here or elsewhere, yours hold a level of detail and description I find unmatched save in what of Fingon's work I have seen. There is an empathy with the human mind and heart I don't commonly see, and it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
 
I've been observing a pattern in your version of Curufin and(I cannot remember now if this has been confirmed before or not), would Curufin be considered autistic? Much of his mindset and many of his reactions and ways of communicating seem as though it would be so.
I have a vague feeling I've asked this before, so if I have, then I apologize for not remembering.
I don't recall you asking this before. But it's interesting that you should say that. I base quite a bit of the way I write Curufin on myself and my own thought processes (though he is not a carbon copy and we do have our differences). I myself am autistic, and I have recently noticed that he does show autistic tendencies as well (though again, not always in the exact same way as me).


How much should such a bond be treasured? It should be held as precious as rubies, as valuable as the most rare spices. Behold, and give thanks, for family is not always this way, and natural affection is to be praised in its display.
It's true what you say here. ❤️


Of all the stories I have read either here or elsewhere, yours hold a level of detail and description I find unmatched save in what of Fingon's work I have seen. There is an empathy with the human mind and heart I don't commonly see, and it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Ah... this made me smile! Thank you! ☺️
 
As for the second drawing, it is set quite a bit later on, after Fingon rescued Maedhros from his torment on Thangorodrim.
I was only able to take a brief look when you first posted these. I had seen previews of your first drawing as you worked on it, and I remember you telling me about the associated story as well. But I hadn't seen any previews or anything of the second drawing, and oof, it hit me like a truck. 🥺 The emotion of it is very powerful.

The stories maintained my attention pretty well once I started reading. I really love that you combined pictures and drawings! Illustrated stories are quite the lost art these days. Why can't more fantasy novels and other books be illustrated??

And when my exhausted and troubled brain decided to ask you on Discord how your stories were coming even though I meant to ask about your art, it seems as though my brain was accurate!

So that's kind of my overall first reaction. Now for some of the specifics:

Maitimo told their parents what happened, and Fëanáro tried to take Curvo from him, as of course, they all know that's the best and most unfailing way to soothe an upset Curvo. But to everyone's utter surprise, Curvo didn't let go of Maitimo, and remained there with his face buried in his clothing.
This gets me! 🥺 You know it's the desire of Maitimo's big brother heart to be the preferred caregiver, even if only for a brief moment.

And I really like both Maitimo and Curvo's hair in the first drawing. Curvo's hair looks appropriately baby-soft, and I like the kind of burgundy red of Maitimo's hair.

Although little Curvo didn't have the words to express these new thoughts and feelings, what happened was that he felt abandoned. Being so young, he didn't yet understand that his parents were not all-knowing, since usually they would come and help him whenever something went wrong. And that day, he had the worst experience of his short life, where things went more wrong than they ever had before, and nobody came.

Therefore he clung to Maitimo in relief and gratitude that he came to help him. And refused the comfort of his parents in that moment, for it would be cold comfort, as they were not there when he needed them.

But having the short attention span of a small child, Curvo was pretty much immediately back to normal the next day, though a bit more wary about the outdoors for a while.
Poor lil guy! I'm sure he was too young to remember this experience, but I wonder if Fëanor and Nerdanel or Maitimo told him this story as he got older.

Maedhros hears all that is unsaid. A lump forms in his throat. He waits until it ebbs away before speaking.
Trying to speak. The words are there in his mind. Yet they cannot find their way to his mouth. His jaws remain shut, his tongue unmoving, his lips frozen.
He could speak before. He could speak through the pain of his raw wounds, through the agony of the early healing process. Why no more? And why now? When he is so much better, when his pain is so much less, reduced to nothing much of the time?
It concerns and confuses all who come to see him. Maedhros huffs, ashamed and exasperated, his eyes glazed with a teary veil which burns but is not enough to weep with.
This was so sad! 🥺 And totally believable, I think. It reminds me of that dream I had recently where Maedhros was blind for a while during the later parts of his captivity and the earlier parts of his recovery. I'd be curious if you'll ever write about how Maitimo recovers the ability to speak.

This is the point where my design for younger Maedhros transforms into the one I have for his older self. Though some of the things shown in this drawing will reverse themselves or improve somewhat as he heals:
  • scar on the left corner of his mouth
  • damaged brow/eye socket on the left side, so that the eyelid doesn’t open as wide anymore
  • right shoulder higher than the left, and the collarbone pulled out of place
  • more greyish and sickly skin tone
  • the colour of his hair is less rich and deep: it is more dull and bleached through exposure to the elements and inadequate nutrition
These also seem like very believable details to me. The way you drew his skeletal form and gaunt, miserable face were the main things that contributed to me feeling like I emotionally got hit by a truck when I saw this!

Note: It is significant that Curufin called Maedhros ‘Maitimo’, rather than ’Nelyo’, as he usually would. ’Nelyo’ is a shortened form of his father-name ’Nelyafinwë’, and Curufin uses it as an affectionate sign of respect towards the eldest. (By contrast, Curufin calls Maglor ‘Laurë’, a shortened version of his mother-name, as Maglor is just his big brother, not the heir/leader.)
The few times when Curufin uses ‘Maitimo’ are times when he is speaking to him without any regard to this hierarchy - Maitimo is just his brother. It’s kind of the verbal equivalent of Curufin snuggling up to him.
I appreciate the explanation on this! I had kind of wondered why your Curvo most frequently refers to Maitimo as Nelyo. I found myself writing Curvo the same way because it subconsciously felt right. Maybe because I see Nelyo as a little more formal and emotionally distant than Maitimo or certainly Timo. But I also really like your idea that Curvo is acknowledging him as the eldest and the leader this way.

I really enjoyed engaging with this artwork and story. You did fantastic work on them both!
 
The stories maintained my attention pretty well once I started reading. I really love that you combined pictures and drawings! Illustrated stories are quite the lost art these days. Why can't more fantasy novels and other books be illustrated??
The stories were pretty straightforward for me to write, too. Mere descriptions of the scenarios I saw in my head, without needing to tie them in to any larger plot or arc.

For the one with baby Curvo, I imagined the story/scenario first, which inspired me to create the drawing. At the same time, I had the mental image of the second drawing, and sketched that too, before working on colouring them, first one, then the other.

I didn't start imagining the story for the second drawing until I was getting close to finishing it. So it was not my original intention: it just crept up on me and wanted to be told (really wanted to be written down: it was very insistent!). From both Curufin and Maedhros' perspective.

I agree that many stories would benefit from illustration! But many authors are not artists, and they get someone else to draw for them. Which I suppose adds time and cost, and there needs to be good communication so that the illustrations are as close as possible to what the author envisioned. And unfortunately, many people and organisations/corporations are more focused on money and profit than art.


And when my exhausted and troubled brain decided to ask you on Discord how your stories were coming even though I meant to ask about your art, it seems as though my brain was accurate!
Our brains are connected! 🧠 😂


This gets me! 🥺 You know it's the desire of Maitimo's big brother heart to be the preferred caregiver, even if only for a brief moment.
Yeah, I didn't write anything from his perspective, but he would be having all the feelings right about now (a mixture of 'poor baby bro' and inwardly melting because Curvo refuses to let go of him). 🫠
You can see it in his face, though.


And I really like both Maitimo and Curvo's hair in the first drawing. Curvo's hair looks appropriately baby-soft, and I like the kind of burgundy red of Maitimo's hair.
Yeah, I think the colours and textures turned out really well!


Poor lil guy! I'm sure he was too young to remember this experience, but I wonder if Fëanor and Nerdanel or Maitimo told him this story as he got older.
I don't think he'd remember this in full detail, because Curufin doesn't usually spend a lot of time dwelling in memory (and thus making those memories easier to recall). Besides which, Curufin has a tendency to block out and suppress unpleasant memories, since he's not prepared to deal with the associated emotions.
But young Elves mature mentally more quickly than Men, so I think he'd be able to remember some things if he tried (particularly if prompted by Maitimo's or his parents' recollection of it). He'd remember images and feelings rather than thought processes.


This was so sad! 🥺 And totally believable, I think. It reminds me of that dream I had recently where Maedhros was blind for a while during the later parts of his captivity and the earlier parts of his recovery.
...It was a bit trippy to read about that dream you had, since when I read it, I had been working on my drawing for the past few days, and was coming close to finishing it. 🫠
Again, connected brains! 😂

I'd be curious if you'll ever write about how Maitimo recovers the ability to speak.
I don't think I will write about it, because it's not something that lends itself well to a story. There is no external cure: he only needs time. In time, his brain and facial muscles will work out how to smile again. And in time, he will be able to speak again.
Though the causes are different. He can't speak, not because his mind and body have forgotten how to, or have difficulty coordinating themselves (as with the smile), but because he is retreating within himself.

Now that Maedhros is better physically than he was before, and the pain in his body is not a constant presence in his mind anymore, his mind is now free to focus on repairing the damage to itself.
For being in unrelenting pain for so long will damage the mind, and affect how you think thereafter.
Therefore, he retreats further into himself, away from engaging with the outside world.

It is an automatic reaction, however, not a conscious decision. Maedhros himself doesn't understand why he can't speak anymore. Neither does anyone else. I think Maedhros does recognise that he feels better remaining silent, but it frustrates him when he does want to say something, but can't. Because he does still want to communicate, and connect with others, and his primary way of doing so is not currently usable. It would also stress him out and sadden him when others (understandably) get concerned about him not speaking to them anymore.

It's why I think this moment was good for both Curufin and Maedhros. Curufin tends to observe things and take them 'as they are', before taking action.
Maedhros isn't speaking to him? Well ok, he'll take that into account in his interaction with him. His current goal is to make him feel better, and less uncomfortable, that's all. Because Curufin knows that fixing the damage done to Maedhros is far beyond his knowledge/expertise, so he's not going to try and 'fix' the unusual things without full knowledge of what's going on, because that's how you break things.

But practical considerations are certainly not the only thing in Curufin's mind.
Curufin’s throat tightens, and there is a faint sinking feeling somewhere in his heart. From the way he looked at him, it seemed Maedhros wanted to reply, very much wanted to. And now he looks… Curufin knows this feeling, somehow. And he does not want his brother left alone in it.
Curufin also... relates, or personally understands, somehow. He doesn't always have empathetic feelings for people when he's trying to help them. It only happens when they seem to be feeling or experiencing something he's felt or experienced before. So it's not really their emotion he's feeling, but it's his own feelings welling up in him again.

However, as Curufin often blocks out his bad memories, it's not clear where his recollection of having a similar feeling is coming from. Perhaps it's not even a single occasion: he may have felt something like it many times, at different intensities.

In any case, this understanding means Curufin is going to be even more careful/considerate, and he will try and help Maedhros with what he knows often makes him feel better.

Maedhros is relieved that there is no pressure on him: Curufin does not appear to expect him to speak, and he also doesn't appear bothered by... anything.
Curufin just gets into bed and wants to spend time with him. Which is not a completely new and unusual thing for him to do: he always has loved curling up in warm and soft places.
Curufin also does not hesitate to touch or embrace this Maedhros who doesn't look or feel anything like he used to. The way he's treating him is 'normal, with a bit of extra care'. And Maedhros certainly recognises the significance of Curufin addressing him as 'Maitimo' rather than 'Nelyo'. Nothing else matters here. You're just 'bro', and I love you. :3

Maedhros is now more comfortable, physically and mentally, and he is able to fall asleep.

Curufin is comforted too, because he was able to do something to help, among all the things he must just helplessly endure during the early days in Beleriand. Not only that, he has connected with his brother on an emotional level, and both can feel it. It's why he hopes no-one will disturb them.

Because, as you may have noticed in my writings, this quiet yet deep and sincere affection is a side of Curufin that is reserved for his brothers, parents, and wife and son (though of course each of them will experience his affection in different ways, depending on their relationship and the situation).
He loves to show his love to those who mean a lot to him, and it is comforting to know that they feel the same in return. It is a risk, since it leaves him vulnerable to hurt (or even misuse of such a deep and personal bond*), but those people are worth suffering the risk for.

*Fëanor's actions towards the end of his life... Curufin would not refuse him anything, and would stop at nothing to see Fëanor's final wishes fulfilled. :I



These also seem like very believable details to me. The way you drew his skeletal form and gaunt, miserable face were the main things that contributed to me feeling like I emotionally got hit by a truck when I saw this!
I spent the most time on colouring Maedhros, I think. And he was the first part of the colouring I worked on. Getting their faces right was very important, and I wanted to preserve the feeling I depicted in my initial sketch, based on the mental image I had. However, I think the final coloured piece has an added dimension to it that the sketch does not have, since it is strongly related to the story I developed in my mind, which I had not yet thought of when I sketched the scene.

As I've previously said elsewhere, in my imagination (and therefore in the TWC timeline), Maedhros is only tormented by being hung on Thangorodrim - he doesn't really suffer any other physical torture or maiming beforehand. However, he does get injured in the battle where he is captured, and he gets further injuries as he is brought into Angband, since no doubt he'd be struggling and fighting, and they'd have to subdue him by force. That's where the scar on the side of his mouth and the damaged left eye socket come from, which remain all his life.
The unevenness in his shoulders, spine and right arm definitely straightens out over time, and becomes virtually unnoticeable to an outside observer, but he still feels a bit of a difference: he's not completely back to the way he was before.


I definitely had a lot of feelings myself when drawing. It probably contributed to my mind developing the scenario that led up to this moment between Maedhros and Curufin. I worked on the drawing quite slowly. In part because sometimes I'd only make some really minor changes, and spend most of my time just looking at my colouring and shading progress, and thinking about it. Particularly when I thought it looked really good, and looked very much like what I was trying to show.


I appreciate the explanation on this! I had kind of wondered why your Curvo most frequently refers to Maitimo as Nelyo. I found myself writing Curvo the same way because it subconsciously felt right. Maybe because I see Nelyo as a little more formal and emotionally distant than Maitimo or certainly Timo. But I also really like your idea that Curvo is acknowledging him as the eldest and the leader this way.
Curvo is quite a formal and respectful person, in his own way. Though it's based on his own values and what he thinks is right and proper, rather than the expectations of others around him, or of elven society in general.


I really enjoyed engaging with this artwork and story. You did fantastic work on them both!
I'm glad!
I spent a lot of time and thought on them. And as such I also have a lot to say about them, as you can see!
 
The Willow Tree Place

the willow tree place - by srg.jpg


This is set in the early years of the Noldor in Beleriand, not long after Fingon rescued Maedhros from Thangorodrim.
On the shore of Lake Mithrim, in a quiet place where willows grow at the water's edge, young Edrahil (then known as Hravindo) spends time alone sketching.

This drawing didn't take me long: I started it two days ago. It was inspired by my one-shot story The Sculpture and the Willow. I had the idea of drawing this place, and making it look like a painting (using a digital paintbrush). I thought it would be fitting, as Edrahil is an artist, and predominantly focuses on painting later on in his life.
As I finished the drawing, I thought that Edrahil himself looked somewhat like a clay sculpture, in the way he is shaded. Also fitting, given the title of the story.

While the landscape is serene, there is a touch of sadness and darkness where Edrahil sits on the old fallen willow trunk. The shadows are deepest beneath it. The shirt he is wearing used to be purple, but has faded to grey.

Edrahil is in his mid-eighties here, not yet an adult. But given his young age, this meant he spent a large part of his adolescence upon the Helcaraxë. Growing up in such a place would have left its mark, though the particular effects on mind and body would be equally unknown and unpredictable to the youths and to their parents and caregivers.

I enjoyed working on this. It's the first time I've used this digital 'painting' technique for a whole drawing. It felt quite peaceful. The first time I tried it was for the wisteria tree in the background of this drawing: Birthday Dance 2025.
 
Besides what you mentioned yourself, I also love the shading you did on the willow leaves and on the water. The gradual shift from darker green to the yellow-gold of sunlight through leaves is so hard to accomplish(for someone like me, anyway), yet you not only did it, you created shifting light-patterns on the water, too!

It truly does look like a painting.
I wonder if the far-off shore is symbolic of anything. It could be referring to any semblance of a normal life Edrahil sees as yet very far away, or perhaps it refers to the sharpening horizon of his childhood years.
Or perhaps it's just a lakeshore.

In any event, thank you for sharing and for explaining the picture to us! It's always a pleasure to view one of your works.
 
Besides what you mentioned yourself, I also love the shading you did on the willow leaves and on the water. The gradual shift from darker green to the yellow-gold of sunlight through leaves is so hard to accomplish(for someone like me, anyway), yet you not only did it, you created shifting light-patterns on the water, too!
For the willow leaf colours, I picked the colours from an actual picture of a willow tree, making sure to get a range of darker and lighter greens (I think I had six or seven different greens in the end). So the lighter bits are in fact the real colours of sunlit willow leaves. :3

I was a bit more spontaneous/casual with the water though: I just chose colours I thought looked suitable.


I wonder if the far-off shore is symbolic of anything. It could be referring to any semblance of a normal life Edrahil sees as yet very far away, or perhaps it refers to the sharpening horizon of his childhood years.
Or perhaps it's just a lakeshore.
I didn't intend it to represent anything. It's just the other side of Lake Mithrim (which is easily visible, as the lake is long and narrow).

However, I still find your thoughts about it interesting, and applicable. With art, as with stories, each person will pick up on different things, and they will have different thoughts about what they see or hear.
I do think there is a sense of distance or isolation in this landscape, even peaceful and lovely to look at as it is.


In any event, thank you for sharing and for explaining the picture to us! It's always a pleasure to view one of your works.
Likewise, it was nice to hear your thoughts. ☺️
 
I am currently working on a new artwork. It will probably take some time, as there are a lot of small details. So I'm not sure when it will turn up, but keep an eye out for it. 👀

Before it is complete, however, does anyone else have thoughts on The Willow Tree Place (above)? The piece is quite dear to me, so it would be nice to hear your favourite thing(s) about it. I particularly like Edrahil's sitting position here. It really feels like him, and like his younger self especially.
 
The Willow Tree Place

View attachment 45022

This is set in the early years of the Noldor in Beleriand, not long after Fingon rescued Maedhros from Thangorodrim.
On the shore of Lake Mithrim, in a quiet place where willows grow at the water's edge, young Edrahil (then known as Hravindo) spends time alone sketching.

This drawing didn't take me long: I started it two days ago. It was inspired by my one-shot story The Sculpture and the Willow. I had the idea of drawing this place, and making it look like a painting (using a digital paintbrush). I thought it would be fitting, as Edrahil is an artist, and predominantly focuses on painting later on in his life.
As I finished the drawing, I thought that Edrahil himself looked somewhat like a clay sculpture, in the way he is shaded. Also fitting, given the title of the story.

While the landscape is serene, there is a touch of sadness and darkness where Edrahil sits on the old fallen willow trunk. The shadows are deepest beneath it. The shirt he is wearing used to be purple, but has faded to grey.

Edrahil is in his mid-eighties here, not yet an adult. But given his young age, this meant he spent a large part of his adolescence upon the Helcaraxë. Growing up in such a place would have left its mark, though the particular effects on mind and body would be equally unknown and unpredictable to the youths and to their parents and caregivers.

I enjoyed working on this. It's the first time I've used this digital 'painting' technique for a whole drawing. It felt quite peaceful. The first time I tried it was for the wisteria tree in the background of this drawing: Birthday Dance 2025.
I think what I like most about this is the brush strokes adding texture to the landscape. The willow tree is probably the first thing that catches my eye, probably because of the vibrant green standing out against the softer blues and neutral tones. And the more yellowish highlights are a great way to add richness to the color. Highlight with the warmer neighbor color, and shade with the cooler neighbor color-- that's my go-to shading technique!

I also like the twisted tree stump upon which Edrahil is sitting. It looks very real.
 
I also like the twisted tree stump upon which Edrahil is sitting. It looks very real.
I agree! I think in general this piece has a very realistic appearance and feel to it, even though it is simplified and the texture of the brush strokes are obvious. It looks like it could be based on a photograph, although it's only based on the image in my head.
 
Mettarë 2025 - Curvo's Collaboration

A New Year's Gift

 

Latest posts

Similar threads

Back
Top