• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Studies on Tolkien by Other Authors

Tar-Elendil13

Crazy Dunedain Wanderer
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
28
To those who don't know me, I am a newbie to Tolkienology. Would you suggest reading books that study Tolkien's work, but aren't written by Tolkien, and use them as a reference? Examples would be The Hobbit: a Companion or A Tolkien Bestiary.
 
I'd rather eat my own tongue than read those. However there are some that are better than others. I use Tolkien's World from A to Z: The Complete guide to Middle-Earth and The Atlas of Middle-Earth for references but that's about all they are good for. I say that simply because books written about Tolkien's books are just that. ABOUT THEM! If you want to learn more about Thorin and company then just read The Hobbit! (That's just an example)
 
I received The Annotated Hobbit for Christmas and I really enjoyed having the extra information in it.
 
Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth is a great resource and well worth owning. As for the rest, I'm not so sure. A Tolkien Bestiary has wonderful illustrations but the text is sometimes pretty suspect.

The two-volume History of the Hobbit was a great read...but it's mostly Tolkien's draft material, with explanatory notes. The author/compiler just happens to be a far more engaging writer than Christopher Tolkien.
 
I really enjoy the David Day books I have read in particular Tolkien's Ring. I also really liked Tolkien and the Critics which are essays from the 60's on the LOTR.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top