• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The eastern lands

krash8765

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2002
Messages
117
Anything beyond the sea of Rhun is never talked or drawn in map only in the case of "Easterlings." But 4 out of the 7 clans of the dwarves live in these parts as well as some dark elves and as we can assume many men and creatures. Does anyone have any information on the eastern lands or the lands of khand and and Harad? Also does anyone know of Alatar and Pallando? Why did they not come back to the western lands? I know these questions are probably unanswerable but im very interested in the lands and peoples of middle-earth and i was just wondering if any of you had any information.
 
You're not asking a small questions krash!;)

Of Alatar and Pallandor note three in the Silmarillion says:

Quote:
I (Tolkien) think they went as emissaries to distant regions, Easr or South, far out of Numénorean range: Missionaries to the "enemt-occupied" lands as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear that they failed, like Saruman, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect that they were founders or beginners of secrets cults and "magic" traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron"

Elen
 
what about the north?

apart from the iron mountains nothing more is on the map.

do you guys have any thing about up there.!
 
Originally posted by aDaHe
what about the north?

apart from the iron mountains nothing more is on the map.

do you guys have any thing about up there.!

North of the iron mountains and Eriador, I think it is clear that there is nothing but an ice bay and a climate quite close to Antartique (sp?). About your other questions (concerning the east), there is unfortunately no information in any published book by Tolkien (or his son). I had read some articles about the eastern lands but they are only fictional and aren't established anywhere by proof. So, you can either read such inventions, make your own inventions or forget the east and concentrate on the west:)
 
true...true!
well so what about that other question from that other guy!
dig up all that u can and well see what happens.
 
The Ettenmoors are in Eriador, I think, and if not then in Rhudaur or Wilderland. :)
All I really know about the far East is that the Orocarni, or Mountains of the East, which lie on the fae eastern shore of Rhûn.
Far in the South there is Harad and Far Harad, but it ends rather soon and the so-called Hither Lands begin; this is quite funny because they are actually in the same shape as Africa, more or less. :)
A great book which will tell you all about it is Karen Wynn-Fonstad's renewed The Atlas of Tolkien's Middle-Earth.
 
Originally posted by Lantarion

Far in the South there is Harad and Far Harad, but it ends rather soon and the so-called Hither Lands begin; this is quite funny because they are actually in the same shape as Africa, more or less. :)

Yeah I've noticed that too but I didn't want to post anything about it ever because I thought I might sound stupid.:rolleyes:
 
Originally posted by Lantarion
A great book which will tell you all about it is Karen Wynn-Fonstad's renewed The Atlas of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. [/B]
A great book indeed, I recently bought me a second copy (to keep it at my office in case of urgent need ;)). This was the so called renewed edition of Houghton Mifflin, but so far I could not spot any differences to the Harper-Collins edition from 1994. I sent an enquiry to Amazon about that but I got no reply within 3 months (other than that they told me they have forwarded it to their "expert" who will contact me "soon"). As for the paper and printing quality I prefer the "old" H-C edition...
 

Today's events

Latest posts

Similar threads

Back
Top