• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The History of the TOLKIEN FORUM

*sets Thorin's slippers out for him*

I wonder where Lantarion/Pontifex Cactus/Lantifex has gotten to. I remember him being one of us crusty codgers from before TTF was TTF.

Who else here was around when this was The Forums @ TheLordoftheRings.com? We should have an "Olde Farts Census" or somesuch. I remember the background being a sort of robins' egg blue, with a big yellow eye at the top of the page around the time I joined.

I think Barliman might've join when you came, and he still lurks around these parts from time to time
 
I haven't been around for a while, but I actually joined here in January, 2002, so that's 7 1/2 years ago. . . . wow. Unfortunately real life intervened the last few years in the form of insane physics profs, then a full-time job and now part-time grad school, but I'm hoping to make to time poke around here occasionally. I loved joining the debates when I first joined when I was in high school, and actually had the free time to pour through the books for quotes!
 
I think Barliman might've join when you came, and he still lurks around these parts from time to time

Barliman may be a real old-timer, but he's not a TTF "old timer" ;)

EDIT: The euphemism for an old person or flatulence seems to be censored. Welcome to the Nanny State!
 
There's alot of members who were once very active, and have gone MIA...

Mrs. Maggot
Gandalf White
Aragorn21
Powersause (Sausy, I think her user name changed)

Anyone know what happened to these people? :confused:
 
*sets Thorin's slippers out for him*
.

Thank you my old friend *slips said slippers on*

Am proud to be part of the old farts club or whatever it is you called us, Cir.

Sadly, I just don't have the time to be able to devote my slowly dwindling knowledge of things Middle Earth these days.

10 years...sigh. Crazy how time flies!

Well, we shall be back in full force when The Hobbit comes out!
 
There's alot of members who were once very active, and have gone MIA...

Mrs. Maggot
Gandalf White
Aragorn21
Powersause (Sausy, I think her user name changed)

Anyone know what happened to these people? :confused:

I just don't care anymore, I guess. Aragorn's at college and busy with other stuff. PowerSauce is alive but I haven't spoken to her in a long time. Mrs. Maggot is probably as disagreeable as always. :D
 
Jeeze Louise, it's been so long since I checked in here I've forgotten how to navigate around!

Anyway — I've been around TTF for about for six years now. Six years ago the joint really jumped! It jumped because of the quality of conversation and the people who could really sling the ideas around. Then came PJ's version of LOTR, and that started fires all over the place. But when that all died down I began to gradually check in less and less.

It's been an eventful year for me: damn near had a heart attack last October and missed it by a hair. Had a stent put in. Then about a month ago I fell down on my kneecap on the cement, spent a week in the hospital, had surgery. I'm finally up and around. I do NOT recommend this to anyone on account of the pain involved.

Angels Flight Railway in L.A. is almost ready to open. I have spent the last three years doing archival photography of the restoration project. One of these days the website where a great many of the pix I took will be ready for public viewing, and I'll let you all know. For those of you who get PBS on your TV, Val Zavala will have something on Angels Flight in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when that comes up.

What else? Oh yeah, I'll be 73 on the 24th!

The Pony is still doing business, although a lot less than when PJ's film crew damn near destroyed Bree. Still, I could use more customers... Speaking of the Pony and my prowess as an inkeeper, I've become a restaurant reviewer out in the real world. You can check out my reviews at http://leonardthefoodie.yelp.com/ . Enjoy!

Barley
 
Barley my friend, I had not realized that you joined nine months after I did! I thought you got here first. Wow. News flash. :eek:

Falling down on cement - bad plan. Especially at your age. Glad to here you're back up and around (and back here). It is never the same without you! :)
 
Wow, today is 2009. I came to this forum in....2005. 9-5 equals 4. Yeah, I'm ancient. Not as ancient as Barley, but I definitely have seniority on this site. :p
 
*points to own join date*

Join Date: Mar 2003.

Ermundo, if you're ancient, what the heck am I? :eek:

How about you're antique, and I'm ancient. That would make Elgee and the other first and second year joiners "stone age". :p
 
I have no idea how I joined this early...I was really young and immature at the time, lmao.
 
I guess a lot of us sort of grew up on TTF (GW excluded, of course! ;))

I know I did anyway. I look back on who I was when I joined - young, immature, constantly making typos and spelling errors (Thank you Barley!), totally depressed, using TTF as a means of escape...

...and here I am now. Grown up, a bit more seasoned, not depressed (for the most part), not making near the spelling errors, and STILL usually TTF as a means of escape!

:D
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top