• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Hobbit movies -- a revised viewpoint

That would involve inventing things Tolkien did not say, and contradict what he did.

Yes, Galadriel was not "ordinary".

The custom of warrior women being considered strange by the Eldar, and elf-women abstaining from war seem fairly conclusive.
Aredhel is specifically noted as going hunting.


I do not know what "home" has to do with it. Though in one variant, Galadriel had been dwelling in Alqualonde.

I know where the quote comes from, I provided it.

I'm not relying on what other people say. I provide my own arguments and quotes, rather than linking to those of other people.
Interpretation in this sense seems more too mean adding to or removing from what Tolkien actually wrote.

I didn't link them because I hadn't seen them before, but there are other threads also discussing this issue as @Squint-eyed Southerner pointed out.
I know. I quoted from the post linked to, and showed the selective/partial nature of the quotes provided.


Correct, Galadriel is not explicitly named. Nor Elrond nor Cirdan, though both are members of the White Council. Do you expect them to have been there?
In the event, that rather changes it from something 'we know' (your statement was "We also know she took part in the expulsion of Sauron from Dol Guldur, so I see no reason she couldn't have fought there."), to something you (want to) believe.

The App. B quote makes it seem as though there was no real fighting, rather Sauron fled at their coming. What 'we do know' is that it was Saruman's doing, as Gandalf says:
"But Saruman has long studied the arts of the Enemy himself, and thus we have often been able to forestall him. It was by the devices of Saruman that we drove him from Dol Guldur. It might be that he had found some weapons that would drive back the Nine."
LotR, Shadow of the Past

And Tolkien writes of Galadriel:
"Elendil and Gil-galad were partners; but this was ‘the Last Alliance’ of Elves and Men. In Sauron’s final overthrow, Elves were not effectively concerned at the point of action. Legolas probably achieved least of the Nine Walkers. Galadriel, the greatest of the Eldar surviving in Middle-earth, was potent mainly in wisdom and goodness, as a director or counsellor in the struggle, unconquerable in resistance (especially in mind and spirit) but incapable of punitive action."
UT, The Istari

Incapable of punitive action.
To the extent, this continues even after Sauron's downfall, as it is Celeborn who leads an army and takes Dol Guldur, while Galadriel wrecks Dol Guldur after:
"...and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed."
LotR, App. B


That's how I see it anyway. Again, I'm a human being and therefore fallible, but that's my honest impression from the text. That said, I think we are rather diverging from the topic of Jackson's The Hobbit.
 
I think to tell anything conclusive about Galadriel and Celeborn, you need to do some guesswork. That is kind of how unfinished lore works—hence I frankly think it's hard to even say there is a "right" answer to this. I think it's okay to make educated theories based on the text, even if things aren't stated explicitly. Aredhel is stated explicitly, which gives us a greater probability than our prior probability because there was a basis for exceptions and we know that Galadriel was the mightiest of the Noldor. I know you know where the quote comes from. My point is that the source is relevant. He may have been less likely to point out precisely when she properly became an "Amazon", possibly because he still hadn't sorted out much of it himself beyond the First Kinslaying since the lore of Galadriel and Celeborn is unfinished. The usage of "Amazon" with a capital A may imply some of the things she did later as well was all I am saying. Tolkien may be describing what happened soon afterward. I am not saying that is proof, but usually, when you just mean "athletic woman", you would use lowercase or the word "amazonian". Also, Tolkien understood languages and mythology, which further supports the "Galadriel fought" theory. Again, I do not call this proof, but since the only time we really get this word is when describing the women of the House of Haleth (correct me if there are any other times), the probability, in my mind, is now raised from the prior probability with which we began. Also, I'm not sure if we agree on what is meant by "fighter", as I don't think she was a soldier exactly, but more like an adventurous woman who was good with a sword and probably fought several times when necessary.
I linked to someone else's argument since that topic really has nothing whatsoever to do with The Hobbit trilogy, which is why I didn't want to get into it and I didn't want to change the topic this much. I don't mean to be rude here, but you are the one who brought this discussion far away from the point of this thread, not me. In another circumstance, such as an actual thread about Galadriel, I totally would have had a different approach.
I disagree with removing (except in the sense that any statement about Galadriel and Celeborn on pretty much anything in the First or Second Age more or less contradicts something Tolkien wrote on the subject which is unavoidable). My point there was that both sides can be guilty of fallacious reasoning, but that does not invalidate a claim. I was not making a comment on you in particular. Was your previous remark on me in particular?
Fine, I naturally assumed they were there since to the best of my knowledge there is no evidence to the contrary. Do you think Círdan and Elrond weren't there? (not to mention Radagast) It says the White Council, which can be presumed to be all the members. It doesn't say "part of the White Council" or "the Wizard part of the White Council". It says "the White Council". I don't know what you mean by "want to". I mean this with the upmost respect, but not everyone who comes to a different conclusion by reading the same text is necessarily… whatever you are trying to imply by that line.
If we applied this line of logic in real life, we wouldn't get anywhere, since everyone makes assumptions based on only what is most probable or presumed all the time. I mean, inductive reasoning is quite literally the basis of scientific thought. I think, however, we can assume that the members of the White Council, beyond reasonable doubt, were present when "the White Council" is desc
So, are you saying "the White Council" was simply Gandalf and Saruman? If I were to say that Radagast would reasonably be presumed to be there, would that be adding things?
Banishing Sauron from Dol Guldur wasn't punitive. It was defensive. As you quoted, she is known to have destroyed Dol Guldur later, so… she's capable of some actions that involve destroying things.
 
Last edited:
A right answer to what exactly?


If the reference is to her youth in Valinor ('the she was then' pointing back to the 'her youth'), then there is no need to think it implies some things she did later (what 'things' exactly?).


"Haleth had been a renowned amazon with a picked bodyguard of women."
PoMe, Dwarves and Men
"Though not a 'dry nurse' in temper, she was also not really a soldier or 'amazon', but like many brave women was capable of great military gallantry at a crisis."
Letter 244
"Meássë A late, hasty entry in QL adds Meássë ‘sister of Makar, Amazon with bloody arms’ to the root MEHE ‘ooze?’, whence mear ‘gore’."
BoLT 1
"In addition to goth ‘war, strife’ (Qenya root KOSO ‘strive’) may be noted gothwen ‘battle’, gothweg ‘warrior’, gothwin ‘Amazon’, gothriol ‘warlike’, gothfeng ‘war-arrow’, gothwilm ‘armistice’."
BoLT 2
"The horsemen of Rohan ride East, with Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Merry and Pippin. Gandalf as the White Rider. [Added subsequently: Eowyn goes as Amazon.] "
HoMe 7
"Make Eowyn the twin-sister of Eomund, a stern amazon woman."
op.cit.


Also, I'm not sure if we agree on what is meant by "fighter", as I don't think she was a soldier exactly, but more like an adventurous woman who was good with a sword and probably fought several times when necessary.
I'm not sure that I have used the word "fighter" (as opposed to quoting it being used).
What you said was:
"By saying I see Galadriel as something of a "fighter" or "warrior", personally I see her as being someone who was a skilled swords-woman (as Éowyn was) who probably got herself involved in a few battles by her own choice...".
(Though the earlier 'by her own choice' seems a bit at variance with the current 'when necessary').

You seem to mean by "fighter" someone who can and does fight (taking up arms in physical combat), but is not a soldier (though Tolkien seems to use 'warrior' and soldier' interchangeably ("Ohtar 'warrior, soldier' (UT, Disaster of...), "ndākō warrior, soldier" (LR, Etymolgies)). And amazons were soldiers (per the first definition provided above "1 (in ancient Greek stories) a woman from a group of female warriors (= soldiers)").

I responded to what was introduced (by you) in this thread. And then continued (by you).

I noted precisely the 'removing' being done in the post you cited as making a "decent case", and which you said you were interested in my "take on".
Which I gave.

My point there was that both sides can be guilty of fallacious reasoning, but that does not invalidate a claim. I was not making a comment on you in particular. Was your previous remark on me in particular?
Which previous remark exactly?

Fine, I naturally assumed they were there since to the best of my knowledge there is no evidence to the contrary.
An assumption being entirely different from "we know".

In The Hobbit, it appears that Gandalf informs Elrond of what happened with the Necromancer:
"It was in this way that he learned where Gandalf had been to; for he overheard the words of the wizard to Elrond. It appeared that Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood.
“Ere long now,” Gandalf was saying, “the Forest will grow somewhat more wholesome. The North will be freed from that horror for many long years, I hope. Yet I wish he were banished from the world!”
“It would be well indeed,” said Elrond; “but I fear that will not come about in this age of the world, or for many after.”"
The Last Stage
(Of course, when this was written there was no White Council, no Galadriel etc).

Not necessarily be adding things, as there is a difference between stating something as a presumption and as a fact ("we know").
However, Radagast is not named as a member of the White Council:
"But at length the Shadow returned and its power increased; and in that time was first made the Council of the Wise that is called the White Council, and therein were Elrond and Galadriel and Círdan, and other lords of the Eldar, and with them were Mithrandir and Curunír."
Silm, OtRoP&TA
The White Council seems to have included only two Wizards, and in addition to Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan, there were unnamed lords of the Eldar (just to indulge, one might reasonably presume Glorfindel and Celeborn to be among the unnamed lords).

Banishing Sauron from Dol Guldur was both a punishing action (punitive, depriving him, temporarily, of a stronghold) and offensive (going on the offense).
But your statement was "I see no reason she couldn't have fought there", which seems to mean strapped on a sword and engaged in physical combat. The text does not support that, as noted the App. B quote indicates Sauron fled at their coming, which Gandalf attributes to Saruman's devices. Not physical combat.
And yes Galadriel was capable of "destroying things", this was not achieved by her engaging in physical combat.
 
I watched The Hobbit movies recently, and while I certainly agree that it was far from canon, I found it rather enjoyable. First of all, it was revisiting Middle-Earth, which will always be a win for me. It was certainly concerning that they stretched the whole thing into 3 consecutive movies, but I did enjoy some of the dialogue.

Obviously, on plot points, a lot was off. Starting with the characters included, that never should have been.

-Legolas
-Tauriel
-Galadriel
-Saruman
-Sauron
-Radaghast

I probably left others out, or included something I shouldn't have, but well, I'm sure someone will point it out.

I loved the depiction of Thorin, honestly. I hadn't understood his character as much, and how he could get so caught up in all of this. Why he had this burning desire to avenge Evil. But after seeing the well-placed flashbacks and enjoyable story sequences, that all changed. I fully understood it.

I will say that the choreography left me a little like "...what?..." and myself and the fellow friends watching with me would frequently point out, "They should do an amusement park off this!" Since there was just so much unbelievably crazy stunts and rides.

I loved the Elven fighting, since we hadn't seen as much of that in LoTR Movies, and it was great to see their expertise and finesse casted on the big screen and done incredibly well.

All in all, I enjoyed the movies thoroughly despite their many flaws and controversial nature. Not to say that my opinion is very 'refined', since it isn't. I enjoyed all 3 of The Lord of the Rings movies, The Hobbit Trilogy, and even found myself liking the recent Rings of Power.
 
A right answer to what exactly?
The topic of whether or not Galadriel was capable of fighting or when she did so.
If the reference is to her youth in Valinor ('the she was then' pointing back to the 'her youth'), then there is no need to think it implies some things she did later (what 'things' exactly?).
I think her "youth" could easily extend to the Flight of the Noldor. Again, I'm not saying this is proof, but it raises the probability bar in my mind from before significantly. Seeing as Tolkien describes it, as published in The Unfinished Tales very close to the place where she is expressly said to fight in a battle without any explanation as to why, when the idea that Elf-women often fight in especially dire straits does not even seem to be one that comes up a lot in Tolkien's writings (correct me if I am wrong), coupled with the fact that she was a leader of the Noldorin rebellion, raises the probability for me even higher that she was at least more of a fighter than the average Elf-woman. Bringing back the topic of Aredhel, we know that there were exceptions to the general rule that Elf-women were excluded from "war and hunting", as I believe the quote was. Seeing as Galadriel was obviously exceptional in the mind of Tolkien, he once remarking that she was inspired by his devotion to Mary, the Mother of God and the Church in Catholic thought, I can see why he would describe her as of "Amazon" disposition, and making her stand out in one more way like this, therefore, does not seem out of keeping with him. Obviously, we cannot be sure what Tolkien thought, but seeing how unfinished her lore is, understanding Galadriel that way does not seem to me implausible.
Thank you for the quotations.

Alright then, we may have a language trouble here. Do you think Gandalf can be considered a warrior? He undoubtedly wielded a sword.
I responded to what was introduced (by you) in this thread. And then continued (by you).
Yes, but I was speaking in a very narrow context and both I and @Squint-eyed Southerner provided links to other threads where the topic could be discussed in full.
Hence I feel it is only beyond reasonable doubt.
As for Elrond, I admit there is a small amount of evidence that Elrond was not there, but that says nothing of Círdan and Galadriel. That said, it could just suggest that Gandalf had more direct involvement with the casting out of Elrond (which I admit would imply the same for the other Elves). However, it is still true the White Council was not yet conceptualized in Tolkien's mind and The Hobbit was not written as carefully. In an in-universe explanation, Bilbo might not have understood everything and may have been recounting it as he understood it, as we are expressly told "Bilbo was fallen quiet and drowsy". Further, the phrase "the White Council met for the last time" suggests for me there was actually a meeting of several members. Besides, Galadriel was much closer to Dol Guldur than Elrond, so even if she did not go, I suspect Galadriel, and perhaps Celeborn, did.
True, but Radagast cooperated with them and lived right there. I agree that Glorfindel and Celeborn were probably involved.
I don't see how that was punitive. Not to bring up Tolkien's religious views that much, but he would have seen the difference between "punishing" someone and banishing someone.
That is a good point about Dol Guldur that I had not really considered before, but I was simply giving an example of what I thought to be a better alternative to what was being discussed earlier.
Then, whatever her method, I don't see how the "incapable of punitive action" thing is relevant since we both agree she destroyed things.
Frankly, it is my opinion that Thorin was the best thing to come out of that trilogy, even if he was too young.
An amusement ride would totally work.
 
The topic of whether or not Galadriel was capable of fighting
Why would that be a topic?
To borrow your phrase, "we know" she was capable, because Tolkien said she fought.
or when she did so.

She fought at Alqualonde.

I think her "youth" could easily extend to the Flight of the Noldor. Again, I'm not saying this is proof, but it raises the probability bar in my mind from before significantly.
That would be her youth in the Undying Lands, Which is what the quote seems to be referring too...
And the flight of the Noldor took place in the Undying Lands.

The why she fought was to defend her mother's kin from the Feanoreans.
That is the only time I know of that Tolkien says elf-women will fight, though tying it in with them abstaining from war.


Bringing back the topic of Aredhel, we know that there were exceptions to the general rule that Elf-women were excluded from "war and hunting", as I believe the quote was.

No, there is an exception, Aredhel, to elf-women abstaining from hunting. As Tolkien specifically noted Aredhel as loving to hunt. Tolkien does not note any elf-women going to war (as it is elf-men who bear arms at need, and Elves thought warrior-women strange when they became aware of the practice by the folk of Haleth).

"I think it is true that I owe much of this character to Christian and Catholic teaching and imagination about Mary, but actually Galadriel was a penitent: in her youth a leader in the rebellion against the Valar (the angelic guardians). At the end of the First Age she proudly refused forgiveness or permission to return."
Letter 320

The "Amazon disposition" referring back to her youth in Aman, and related to her taking part in athletic events. No mention of war, there was none in Aman.

Absent Tolkien saying so, what he thought is unknown. To borrow your phrase again, "we know" his thoughts on elf-women as warriors, they abstain from war, though they will fight in defence, this in distinction to elf-men who bear arms at need.


Thank you for the quotations.


Alright then, we may have a language trouble here. Do you think Gandalf can be considered a warrior? He undoubtedly wielded a sword.
I provided an explanation of what you seems to mean:
"You seem to mean by "fighter" someone who can and does fight (taking up arms in physical combat), but is not a soldier (though Tolkien seems to use 'warrior' and soldier' interchangeably ("Ohtar 'warrior, soldier' (UT, Disaster of...), "ndākō warrior, soldier" (LR, Etymolgies)). And amazons were soldiers (per the first definition provided above "1 (in ancient Greek stories) a woman from a group of female warriors (= soldiers)")."
If you think we are having language trouble, then perhaps you should explain your language.


Yes, but I was speaking in a very narrow context and both I and @Squint-eyed Southerner provided links to other threads where the topic could be discussed in full.
And continued the discussion.

There is no evidence of Elrond, Cirdan or Galadriel being at Dol Guldur.

That said, it could just suggest that Gandalf had more direct involvement with the casting out of Elrond (which I admit would imply the same for the other Elves).
Casting out of Elrond?
Do you mean Sauron?
Because Gandalf attributes that to Saruman and his devices.

No longer a "we know" but a suspicion.

True, but Radagast cooperated with them and lived right there. I agree that Glorfindel and Celeborn were probably involved.

Again, Radagast not named as a member of the White Council, not said to be at Dol Guldur.
You agree that Celeborn and Glorfindel were probably involved in what exactly?
I don't see how that was punitive. Not to bring up Tolkien's religious views that much, but he would have seen the difference between "punishing" someone and banishing someone.

Banishing someone is a punishment.
 
Tolkien said they typically do in "dire straights", which is slightly different. I never said it is canon, per se (that can be debated). Actually, I am very hesitant to call anything "canon" when it comes to Galadriel and Celeborn outside of the text of The Lord of the Rings. However, the topic of discussion was the Hobbit films. I don't think Dol Guldur should even have been in it. My point was an alternative to what was done there that did not seem to me quite so absurd. Granted, that was a dire straight to be sure, and I doubt Galadriel participated in active warfare often. My point is that it is coupled with remarks such as her being "the only woman of the Noldor to stand that day tall and valiant among the contending princes" and "the fairest lady of the house of Finwë and the most valiant" and even the "Amazon disposition" thing. All this added together, coupled with the fact that Tolkien did have shield-maidens in his lore, makes it seem to me more likely that she was an exception. This is not proof, but since any explanation of Galadriel's lore is more or less an interpretation, I am alright with that.
Which is my point. So if we know there are some exceptions, it does seem plausible to me that maybe, just maybe, the cousin of that exception, with a similar temperament, who happens to be the greatest or the second greatest of the Noldor who ever lived, whom we know to be physically a match for all the Elven-men, just might in some of the thousands of years where we know almost nothing about her doings, possibly willingly fought in a battle or two. That said, I would be willing to use the term "shield-maiden", if you prefer, as I doubt she was a professional soldier. As for the House of Haleth, I know it seemed strange to the Elves that Amazons were normal among them, but I don't think that rules out one very rare and powerful exception necessarily.
Thank you for the quote. I agree with what is said there.
I know that, but as the Amazons were women-warriors, it seems to me notable that Tolkien used the term and did not specify otherwise, especially considering that he used the word "Amazon" in the traditional sense to reference the House of Haleth. With that in mind, if I had to guess, it was not too far from his mind or at least would not be too greatly against the character.
Basically, I suspect that she was probably more of a fighter or shield-maiden than other Elf-women, or at least something of an exception to the rule, similar to Aredhel in hunting. I do not presume to be more specific, however, because Tolkien was not.
And continued the discussion.
Yes, I did respond to this once you continued the discussion here, but I never meant to start it so thoroughly. But again, I was just trying to find an alternative to a bad decision in the Hobbit films that seemed to me slightly less of a bad idea. If you would like this conversation to end, I do not have to continue my replies.
There is no evidence of Elrond, Cirdan or Galadriel being at Dol Guldur.
Except for the fact that Tolkien said the White Council was there rather than "the wizard part of the White Council". I did not know this was controversial.
Casting out of Elrond?
Do you mean Sauron?
Yes, I did mean that. Thank you.
Because Gandalf attributes that to Saruman and his devices.
I did not deny that. Saruman's power, I am sure, was the main moving factor. All I said was that the White Council was present, and Galadriel, Cirdan, and Elrond were part of the White Council. Otherwise, I think Tolkien or Gandalf would be disingenuous by not saying "Saruman and I" or "a part of the White Council". "The White Council" was the term used. Galadriel, Elrond, and Círdan were part of the White Council. Therefore, they took part in the meeting of the White Council in T.A. 2941.
No longer a "we know" but a suspicion.
It seems to me like more of deductive logic to be honest.
Fair enough about Radagast, although he was their ally. Chances are, Celeborn and Glorfindel were members of the White Council as well, but this is nowhere stated.
Banishing someone is a punishment.
It can be, but it isn't a punishment when it is not done to prevent someone from conquering the entire world. As I said, Tolkien was a Catholic. The Catholic Church distinguishes retributive punishment from self-defense. To put it another way, they were banishing Sauron from a place he had no right to be. We see examples of punishment in the lore such as individual amounts of time Elves have to stay in Mandos before they are reembodied, which likely reflects Tolkien's view on purgatory or "temporal punishment". Obviously, Tolkien illustrates this idea more clearly in Leaf by Niggle. But even if you're not Christian, that is literally not what the word "punishment" means. Punishment entails retribution for some offense, generally because it is justly due to such a person and possibly also to teach this person a lesson. So, it is a punishment, for instance, if I am a judge and condemn someone to a certain amount of time in prison or the death penalty. It is not a punishment, however, if I were to hear that a sniper is about to kill my friend and, in turn, I would go and kill him because it was the only way to save my friend. The latter is closest, according to my understanding, to what happened in Dol Guldur.

Besides, the topic of discussion was technically the Peter Jackson movies here (I was trying to find something that seemed better than Tauriel and anything short of John Boorman's Galadriel would be better than Tauriel; once again, I don't think the White Council should have been in the movies in the first place). Anyway, Galadriel and Elrond were both present at Dol Guldur in the movies and Elrond took up arms. So, there is that.
 
Last edited:
Tolkien said they typically do in "dire straights", which is slightly different.
"typically"? and "slightly different" than what?

I don't think I've mentioned "canon".


Galadriel's "lore" is what Tolkien wrote. If he did not write (or say or draw) it, it is not "lore".

Only if Tolkien says that she did.


That said, I would be willing to use the term "shield-maiden", if you prefer, as I doubt she was a professional soldier.
I don't know why you are suggesting I might have some preference in the term you choose to use. Do you think it will change my response?

As for the House of Haleth, I know it seemed strange to the Elves that Amazons were normal among them, but I don't think that rules out one very rare and powerful exception necessarily.
That would be adding to what Tolkien actually wrote.

When he used the phrase "Amazon disposition" in reference to Galadriel he did not make any reference to her fighting, being a shield-maiden, a warrior or whatever term you choose to use. He did refer to her taking part in athletic events.

I've not suggested ending the 'conversation'.
As I read it, that would be you with repeated suggestions that the 'conversation' is inappropriate here (where the issue was raised) and should go somewhere else (e.g. "That said, I think we are rather diverging from the topic of Jackson's The Hobbit", "both I and @Squint-eyed Southerner provided links to other threads where the topic could be discussed in full").


Except for the fact that Tolkien said the White Council was there rather than "the wizard part of the White Council". I did not know this was controversial.
I have some vague recollection of discussion on this going back a couple of decades (Martinez' forums maybe, or the old newsgroups).

That was not all you said.
To go back to the initial statement you made, that I responded to:
"We also know she took part in the expulsion of Sauron from Dol Guldur, so I see no reason she couldn't have fought there."
By which you seem to have meant Galadriel took up arms and fought at Dol Guldur.



So, to be clear, when you said ".I agree that Glorfindel and Celeborn were probably involved", what you meant was Glorfindel and Celeborn were probably members of the White Council?


first google result Oxford Languages:
"noun: banishment; plural noun: banishments
the punishment of being sent away from a country or other place.
"Adam and Eve's banishment from the Garden of Eden"
the action of getting rid of something unwanted.
"the banishment of world hunger""

 
For me it is the other way around. Smaug is at least trying to kill the dwarves and yet they they have a ridicules level of plot armor instead of just being safe from the dragon by not being near him. With the storm giants they are just trapped in a battle between beings who do not even know that they are there.

So for me it is.

1# The Hobbit: AUJ

2# The Lord of the Rings: FOTR

3# The Lord of the Rings: TTT

4# The Hobbit: DOS

5# The Hobbit: BOFA.
 
My problem with Tauriel wasn't Tauriel herself, it was the ridiculous love triangle. PJ's obsession with introducing love stories or amplify those that are in the books gets on my nerves.

Of course they had to have a broken heart Legolas, what's better than a hero and fan favourite having a broken heart?

And to make it slightly credible, Fili is not a dwarf at all, Tauriel falling in love with one of the other dwarves would be not believable, so only him, his brother kili and Thorin didn't look like the others at all.

Let's not forget one of the greatest nonsense phrases in cinema story, when Tauriel asks Thranduil why it hurts so much and he responds "because it was real". When I watched it the first time I was asking myself "is this guy drunk?"
 
I had a problem with both, but by far with the Triangle.
When I watched it in the movie I nearly barfed.
When I read about it (even now) I almost barf.
When I think about it, I almost barf.
Did I mention that the whole thing makes me want to barf? 😣
 
I was trying to be nice to Peter Jackson 🤦‍♂️

but I should have said I was willing to accept her in the movie, as long as they removed that ridiculous love story.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…