• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Riddle Thread



Gondolin..?
 
Yeah, yeah Ulairi, stroke your ego. Not that it needs it.

*yawn* Oh, wait a sec! ... ... ... *yawn*

Will you tell me if by saying "immortal am I by an ancient ring", you refer to someone that is only immortal because of a ring of power?

"Immortal am I by an ancient ring" is a reference to the Encircling Mountains as Aulë is correct... it was Gondolin.

Man you're a pain in the butt Aulë! Well done! I knew it was too easy. Gonna have to make them harder in the future. You're up!

Cheers,

Úlairi.
 
I seem to be quite skilled at solving your wonderful riddles, Úlairi, but unfortunately my own riddles are not so poetic. But I take solace in knowing that I produce riddles that the likes of Bilbo and Gollum would be able to recite deep below the Earth's surface.


OK, my next one: Whats do I haves in my pocketses?










And the real one:

I was made by the First,
Under the eyes of the eye.
Treasured by the children,
I was never to see the sky.
My treasure caused ills,
Although not my designer's aim.
I was the last free of my kind,
Most of them went up in flame.
 
I would say the Silmaril recovered by Beren and Lúthien but it just doesn't fit somehow with the first or the fourth line. Fëanor was not the First as Mandos had foretold and the Silmaril was borne by Eärendil on the Vingilot in the sky outside the bounds of the world.

Another potential answer that has the same issues as above would be the Three Rings of Power which has a beautiful nexus with the second line of the riddle (being potentially Sauron).

Hmmmm... I'm going to have to give this more thought.

Cheers,

Úlairi.
 
Neither are correct, although you have some good thoughts in there.
 
I was made by the First, (made by elves/Firstborn)
Under the eyes of the eye. (all of them linked to the greatest one)
Treasured by the children, (children of Iluvatar)
I was never to see the sky. (?)
My treasure caused ills,
Although not my designer's aim. (made originally for comforting, not evil, purposes)
I was the last free of my kind,
Most of them went up in flame. (lost to evil...)

The Palantíri?
 
One person is on the right track, but is not quite giving the answer I want.
 
Just to clarify, it's not the last three remaining dwarf rings, right?

Cheers,

Úlairi.
 
I was made by the First, (?)

Under the eyes of the eye. (eye of Sauron?)

Treasured by the children, (the nine kings of men who fell to its power?)

I was never to see the sky.(under the shadow of Mordor, Gollums Cave, Bilbo's pocket, Frodo's neck?)

My treasure caused ills, (Evil spread, bad things follow)

Although not my designer's aim. (Sauron never intended it to leave his side)

I was the last free of my kind, (others were mastered or lost or corrupted)

Most of them went up in flame.(?)

Whats do I haves in my pocketses?

No chance you put the answer in plain sight?

The One Ring?
 
Colder

I thought I had given it away a few posts ago...c'mon guys!!!!
 
Correct! You can't fool dragons for very long.


I was made by the First, (First born)
Under the eyes of the eye. (Sauron)
Treasured by the children, (children of Aulë)
I was never to see the sky. (hidden from all bar the owner...and deep underground most of the time)
My treasure caused ills, (greed)
Although not my designer's aim. (Sauron could not control them)
I was the last free of my kind, (Sauron pinched some of the others, and...)
Most of them went up in flame. (...DRAGONS consumed the others)
 
Yes I agree. Here's one:

Power bound within itself,
Knowing where it's going and who it's with.

Born from flame,
Thrives in flame,
Dies in flame.

Pouring power into one,
Draining life from anyone.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…