• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Riddle Thread

This is a Russian riddle.
When you need it, you throw it away. When you don't need it, you raise it. What is it?
 
Last edited:
This is a Russian riddle.
When you need it, you throw it away. When you don't need it, you rise it. What is it?
I'm bumping this thread. I'm not sure of the answer to Haleth's riddle. Where you said "When you don't need it, you rise it." Is "Rise" supposed to be "Raise"?
 
I am the fountain from which no one can drink.
For many I am considered a necessary link.
Like gold to all I am sought for,
but my continued death brings wealth for all to want more
Here is a guess for StarGift's riddle.

Are you oil or an oil well?
 
I'm bumping this thread. I'm not sure of the answer to Haleth's riddle. Where you said "When you don't need it, you rise it." Is "Rise" supposed to be "Raise"?
Oh, yes, "raise" would be correct.
I'll edit the post.
Thanks for correcting me!
 
Last edited:
Oh, yes, "raise" would be correct.
I'll edit the post.
Thanks for correcting me!
My guess is an anchor. You toss it into the water when you need it to hold you in place, you pull it out of the water when you no longer need it to anchor you.

Not sure if this one's been posted but here we go:

What do dead people eat,
which if live people eat,
they die?
 
This is a Russian riddle.
When you need it, you throw it away. When you don't need it, you raise it. What is it?

Well. Not to be hasty, but I would guess a fishing lure.
When you need it you throw it away from you on a fishing line.
When you don't need it you raise it out of the water to the pole and attach it, and there it sits.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…