• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Ring's black speech whisperings

Boffer Balsashield

New Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2017
Messages
25
Some time ago I downloaded Sharkey's Purist Edit of the movies and enjoy watching those rather than the originals. One drawback to Sharkey's though is that it lacks subtitles, so I'm writing some, just for my own use. I like to be thorough, so I'm curious what all the Ring says when Frodo connects to it.

Of course there are the scenes where it recites the inscription: Ash nazg...
And when it speaks in English/Westron: I see you... at Amon Hen.

I also found what it says when Frodo told Galdalf Sauron had been destroyed: Zigûr (Wizard, what he was known as in Númenor)

But what about other times, like when Gimli hits it with an ax? Anyone know what the little whisperings are saying?

On that occasion, it sounds to me like shîr kûl... The closest I can find to that in online Black Speech glossaries is shre gûl, three wraiths, but that doesn't really make sense.

Also, when Frodo sees Sauron on Amon Hen, he says something that many people, myself included, took to be "I see you", but the subtitles I downloaded show it as Ash Ghurûm (They will fall). The movie script shows it also as (They will fall), so I have that one.
 
I did some research in the appendix of LOTR and a few wikis but I can't find anything. Where did you get your answers from?
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top