• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Discussion The Sculpture and the Willow (Discussion)

Server Room Gremlin

a.k.a. Curufin the Crafty
Joined
Sep 29, 2023
Messages
2,639

This is a stand-alone story, set before the events of Quest For Your Heart, while all the Noldor are still living in Mithrim, not long after Maedhros' rescue by Fingon.
As it is part of the Quest For Your Heart AU, we have Nethien the daughter of Fëanor instead of Celegorm.
Edrahil is the same Edrahil we meet only briefly in the Silmarillion, the chief of Finrod's ten remaining loyal followers.

Illustration: The Willow Tree Place

Quenya words:

neri – plural of ‘nĂ©r’, man/male person
nís – woman/female person
Hravindo – Edrahil’s Quenya father-name (invented by me, non-canon)
Atya – dad (short/affectionate term for ‘father’)



I have a sequel to this story, posted on AO3 only:
Now We Serve the House of Finrod
Please mind the tags and warnings before reading this one.
 
Last edited:
Yet, he would not say they were lesser. The way the Sun moved across the sky meant that one could see time passing with precision. And the Moon was... well, its waywardness was interesting. It had personality to it. And it gave them the gift of occasional lightless nights, where all the stars could be seen in all their glory.
Hehe...Hehehehehheheheheh IT'S THE MOON! 🌚🌝
As he mused, Edrahil sat on a bench and opened his small bag, taking out an apple, some bread and sheep’s milk cheese. He ate slowly, savouring the flavours. How good it was to no longer have only the raw meat of various sea creatures to eat, as had to be endured for the latter half of the crossing of the HelcaraxĂ«. He shuddered slightly at the thought. ...No doubt it would be a while before he’d even be able to eat cooked meat happily again.
This was relatable for me as it was not. You'll start feeling sick if you eat something over and over, but it's something else to just simply have no other choice. I think this showed how just anything can trigger PTSD for people very well.
Enyalion paused, looking him up and down. “Should I even be calling you ‘lad’ anymore, Hravindo? It seems to me you have grown a little taller since we first met, short as that time may be. Are you at your majority?”
Edrahil clasped his hands behind his back to avoid fidgeting awkwardly. “I have a few years to go yet. I’m eighty-five years old—no actually. Eighty-six. Just today.”
IT'S MY BABY'S BIRTHDAY!!!
Young Eddie is just as polite and precious as his older self. And thank you Enyalion for being there for this lil guy and giving him a purpose. Eru knows this was the thing he most needed.
Edrahil nodded and thanked him again. As he retrieved his bag and slung it over his shoulder, he remembered something. “Oh, there was something I was meaning to ask today. ...Could I take a bit of clay with me? I think I want to try sculpting something out of it. And bring it back here to fire it, if it’s any good. ...Just for fun, you know.”
Such a polite little artist.đŸ„ș
he left the workshop and walked down to his favourite spot on the lake shore, about halfway between his father’s house and Enyalion’s shop. It was a quiet place, where the water was a deep dark greyish blue, the lake bed dropping down sharply beneath the surface.
Edrahil sat on a small mat of dried rushes he had left there, to avoid sitting on the somewhat damp ground. The water lapped gently at the dark grey-brown soil, and the slight breeze rustled the reeds that grew here and there on either side.
I really liked the imagery of this bit. It was very easy to see it in my head.
Now it had been brought to his mind again, stirring his imagination.
I think I will try and sculpt him, the way I saw him then. It was the closest I had ever been to one of the Valar. And it’s something nicer and more hopeful to think about than the Doom, anyway.
Me knowing what's gonna happen: 😓
The end of the spear rested against the side of his foot, and he held the spear out in front of himself, as though on guard, or watching for something. Edrahil thought the figure’s arm still looked rather stiff; Oromë’s posture had been much easier, and slightly relaxed. Still, it was not a bad start. He would keep working away at it, and hopefully fix that. He dipped a finger in the water and gently rubbed the arm with it, as it was starting to dry a little.
I just have to add this here. I absolutely adore the way you picture the world through his eyes. It makes it so easy to believe this character is actually a professional artist. It doesn't feel forced on the reader at all. I've read about various characters who are supposed to be the master of something but the knowledge of the writer was just so lacking on that subject that I didn't really but it from them.
“Hey, Hravindo.”
Edrahil froze upon hearing the voice. Accompanied by several pairs of approaching footfalls, which came to a halt behind him.
The pair of feet belonging to the voice stopped beside him. “What’re you doing there?”
None of your dang business, little toad! Go away!
Edrahil glanced aside at him, and hesitated for a moment, before slowly handing the figure over. It was only SĂșrecĂĄro, after all. He got along well with him most days. ...The only concerning thing was that he was here with the rest of them. That... often changed things.
But there was no good reason to refuse such a seemingly innocent request. Especially as there had been many such instances in the past which had indeed turned out to be genuine. ...Not to mention that refusing to engage with any of them tended to push their interactions into the ‘sour’ territory rather more quickly.
Eddie is too nice. I would have shoved the left over clay up his nose, hoping it would somehow improve his face. Though the clay was perhaps too precious for such a thing.
Manyando, the tallest, scoffed. “Don’t be ridiculous, SĂșrecĂĄro.” He paused, then smirked. “...Who on earth would take Hravindo and his skinny behind?”
More laughter, from everyone this time.
Perhaps I should leave this part alone. Whatever I say would have me banned from TTF.
Also, FYI, he pulled the princess, you pig.
The tall youth stepped forward, his eyes glimmering, and his mouth contorted with something like pain. He snatched the figure from SĂșrecĂĄro’s hand. The outstretched arm holding the spear bent and folded in his grasp. “What a useless piece of filth you’ve made there. What hunter gives up the chase so easily, leaving us to deal with the runaway Vala ourselves?”
Nessa would have him skinned twice because of this. Insulting her master and bullying people? Oh, little man, aren't you in hot waters?
Edrahil sprang at Manyando, but before he could so much as touch him, let alone land a blow, his arms were caught by SĂșrecĂĄro and his cousin, who had closed in from either side. Edrahil grunted, his shoulders having been painfully yanked from the sudden stop. Manyando stepped back, smirking. “You can’t just go attacking people like that, Hravindo. The punishment should fit the crime!”
“Teach him a lesson!” someone else shouted gleefully from behind.
Nessa (Athena): Let's teach this thug a lesson, in front of all his kind!
Beats the kid
Manyando crouched down in front of him, looking serious and almost contrite. “Ah, did they hurt you? I’m sorry. You didn’t draw any of my blood, so I suppose that was unfair of them.” He looked down at the lumpy clay ball in his hand, then back at Edrahil. “Here. Let me help.”
He broke off a piece of clay and began smearing it over Edrahil’s cheek. The small wound felt like it was being scraped raw. Edrahil’s breath came faster, but he pressed his lips together and did not make a sound, not wanting to give them the reaction they were seeking. There were a few quiet snickers from the others gathered around. The giggling increased as Manyando continued smearing trails of clay over the rest of Edrahil’s face, with insulting gentleness.
Do you know you can get cancelled for this?
Tapes everything
Edrahil shifted to his knees and sat up slowly. He sat there for a moment, looking at his clenched fists on his knees, suppressing the shudders in each breath and blinking away the prickling in his eyes. I am not going to shed any tears over those fools. I am not. In his right hand, the mangled lump of clay stared out sadly from the cage of his fingers.
Edrahil hiccupped out a dry sob and tore his gaze away. He stood up, picked up his bag and the cloth that lay near it, and wet the cloth in the lake. He wrapped his ball of clay up again, shoved it in his bag and left the lake shore, heading back home.
I just wanted to give him a warm hug then. đŸ„ș
My word against that of several others. ...It would be enough to start a feud between families, depending on who believes me. I just cannot trust it would turn out well. Not worth it. Not for my sake alone.
The princes of Noldor are more fair than you give them credit for, precious little boy. đŸ„ș
Edrahil picked up a piece of charcoal and a small notebook half-filled with sketches from his desk, and headed back downstairs to the main room. He settled in his favourite seat by the window and doodled plants and strange creatures of his own imagining, all while letting his mind wander here and there.
Again with artistic mind!
Vórimindo nodded at him and sat down heavily on the couch opposite, with a sigh. Then his gaze focused itself on Edrahil’s face, and he frowned. “Your cheek, Hravindo. What happened?”
Bad kids happened, Papa bear! Let's go beat them up together!
Edrahil looked down. He certainly wasn’t about to tell the whole truth to his father either. Lord Vórimindo had enough problems to deal with as it was, managing their people in this new land, and looking out for their interests in meetings with other chieftains and heads of families. Edrahil would deal with this on his own. “I was at the lake shore. I fell and hit my face against a stone.”
Vórimindo raised an eyebrow. “That sort of thing seems to be happening rather a lot, of late. I would have thought you were past the age where such clumsy mishaps most commonly occur.”
Edrahil’s eyes prickled, his vision blurring. The wound, the true one at his heart, was still raw. Despite his decision, such cold, matter-of-fact words were hard to accept on top of everything else, and he could no longer hold back his tears.

“Ah, Hravo...” There was a tinge of regret in his father’s voice. “I did not mean it like that. Every individual’s growth happens differently, of course, and it is no failing on your part. Come here, son.”
I know it was likely not your intention, but it reminded me of our earlier convo with mosquito! 😂
Lord Vorimindo reminds me of Fingolfin a little. Gentle heart, he has.
His father spoke again, more softly. “If my remark hit a sore spot, then I am sorry, Hravindo. Has this been troubling you long?”
Edrahil raised his head slightly from his father’s chest. “It’s... it’s not that, Atya. It’s just...” He paused. “...I miss them.” His voice cracked.
Vórimindo lightly placed a hand on Edrahil’s head. “As do I,” he murmured.

The two of them sat together in silence until the evening meal was ready.

And although Edrahil had not told his father all that was acutely troubling him in that moment, he had not lied. He indeed missed them greatly. His mother, left behind in Tirion. His grandparents, and his two dearest friends, all lost on the Helcaraxë. Each grievous absence made his current hardships that much more difficult to bear.
It was a sweet moment to witness. We only have a mention of Eddie's father so far on QFYH, but we can see hear why his loss is so keenly felt. Such a person desrves to be missed.
And of course, there are others mentioned, and we get to see the inner struggles of this younger Edrahil as well as his external problems, which are those bullies.
And there was Nethien, returning to her chamber to ‘get some rest’.
Look who's here!👀
Clad in a deep green cloak and hood, large enough to completely cover her white clothing and pale hair, Nethien slipped out of the fortress, and soon was lost in the shadows of the streets.
I really appreciate the attention to details here, in which Nessa is still wearing mourning white clothes.
Edrahil stopped as he came to an area where trees grew right by the water, gnarled willows dipping their trailing branches into the shadowy ripples below. A large log lay half in the water, a fallen grey tree trunk with most of its branches rotted away.
Alright, here’s far enough. I still want to have some time to sleep tonight.
Edrahil sat down upon the log, laid his clay-working tools out upon the smooth wood, shifted his posture to ensure he had as much moonlight as possible, and began reshaping his piece of clay. The figure would be slightly smaller than before, but that was no matter.
The Willow tree! I know the reason behind your choice here, but it also happens that Nessa's fav tree (And mine too!) is the willow tree. Again, loved the imagery!
The figure bowed its head and... sniffled? Then it moved closer to the water, and sat upon one of the boulders, drawing its knees up to its chest. The lower end of the cloak parted as it did so, revealing white skirts.
Edrahil relaxed slightly, frowning in confusion. A nĂ­s?
More like future lover of yours, my lad!👀
Edrahil continued working. He finished the face, and started adding more texture to the hair. His movements slowed, his mind occupied with the quiet outpouring of grief a few paces away. A tear fell onto the moist clay. Edrahil stopped, and wiped his damp cheek with his sleeve.
He wondered if she was also feeling the same as he had been earlier in the day.
Awwww! Precious little boy! Again with the foreshadowing of his empathic character.
Does she have no close family with which to grieve?
They're finwians. It's...complicated.
And if, for some reason, she welcomed it... what sort of comfort could I even give her?
The only thing he could think of was to sit beside her, or offer her a hug. He grimaced and buried his face in his palm. No, he was decidedly not going to hug a strange nĂ­s. How awkward.
She would be glad to have a hug, little guy.
Still, he thought, as he glanced over at the huddled figure on the rock. It is sad. I hope she has someone at home who can embrace her, wherever she lives.
But it won't be an Eddie hug now, would it?
The place by the willows became another favourite haunt of Edrahil’s. On the few occasions he went there at night, he always saw the lady in the dark green cloak. It was a favourite spot of hers, too, it seemed. But not a happy one. For every time, she was only there to cry.
Don't worry. You'll give her a fav spot soon.




It was amazing! Although I was privy throughout the whole process of writing this, the result had me surprised and taken aback, somehow. It's alway a delight to read about Edrahil, tiny or big and strong, and this was no exception.
 
Young Eddie is just as polite and precious as his older self. And thank you Enyalion for being there for this lil guy and giving him a purpose. Eru knows this was the thing he most needed.
Indeed. And spending most of his day there also puts him out of the way of that gang of youths, who obviously only pick on people when there's no-one else to see it. It is a nice break, even if Edrahil would not accept hiding away all day or completely avoiding things he wants to do just to avoid them. It would be giving them control over his life that they have no right to have.


I really liked the imagery of this bit. It was very easy to see it in my head.
Same! I could easily imagine how nice the place would be to spend time in. Maybe it doesn't look super striking or pretty (like a white-sanded beach, or a field full of flowers), but it is very pleasant in a normal/ordinary sort of way. And to me it feels familiar, having often walked near swampy rivers and lakes.


I just have to add this here. I absolutely adore the way you picture the world through his eyes. It makes it so easy to believe this character is actually a professional artist. It doesn't feel forced on the reader at all. I've read about various characters who are supposed to be the master of something but the knowledge of the writer was just so lacking on that subject that I didn't really but it from them.
Aw, thanks! 😁

The one single painting & sculpture class I did for a semester in high school is doing some heavy duty lifting here lol. 😂
And of course I have always liked drawing things and experimenting with my 2D artwork. I also very much appreciate visually beautiful things myself. :3


Eddie is too nice. I would have shoved the left over clay up his nose, hoping it would somehow improve his face. Though the clay was perhaps too precious for such a thing.
Yeah... he was still hoping it was going to be a 'good' day with them, and that they would go away and leave him in peace after a bit. 🙃 Since their nastiness is more based on their mood and having an opportunity. They don't really plan it out, and they're not always as mean as they are here.


Perhaps I should leave this part alone. Whatever I say would have me banned from TTF.
Also, FYI, he pulled the princess, you pig.
Exactly. 😒
But those boneheads are just looking for a reaction out of him and to hurt him. They don't care if what they're saying has truth to it or not.


Nessa would have him skinned twice because of this. Insulting her master and bullying people? Oh, little man, aren't you in hot waters?
The reason why these guys are so nasty is a different type of reaction to hurt and trauma. They want to inflict their own pain upon someone else, as a sort of catharsis, to make them feel better about themselves (which obviously still doesn't work: being cruel does nothing to fill that void). Manyando in particular feels personally betrayed by Oromë, so needless to say, he's not going to view anything to do with the Valar very favourably.

Edrahil on the other hand, isn't thinking about that kind of thing at all. He's just appreciating the beauty in the outside world and in his memories alike. The sculpture was based on his own feelings about that memory, and not on his opinion of Oromë/the Valar in general.

However, even if it is an understandable reaction to want to hurt others when you're hurt, that doesn't make how they acted any better. They still had a choice whether or not to do this kind of thing, and they chose wrong. 😡


Nessa (Athena): Let's teach this thug a lesson, in front of all his kind!
Beats the kid
💯

(It's a reference to this song from 'EPIC: The Musical', for those who don't know)


I just wanted to give him a warm hug then. đŸ„ș
Yeah, poor thing. 🙁


I know it was likely not your intention, but it reminded me of our earlier convo with mosquito! 😂
Ah yes. I guess it's a similar type of misunderstanding. 😂 Even though Edrahil and his father are quite similar in a few ways, I imagine their personalities and thought processes to be quite different, so communication can sometimes be a challenge between them, though they love each other very much.


I really appreciate the attention to details here, in which Nessa is still wearing mourning white clothes.
Of course! I tried to remember some details from MoAL to ensure even the little bit I wrote of her would fit in reasonably well with this period of time in Nessa's life.


But it won't be an Eddie hug now, would it?
đŸ„ș He would have been touched, if he knew his presence would have been so appreciated.
 
Nessa (Athena): Let's teach this thug a lesson, in front of all his kind!
Beats the kid
Nessa(Athena): One young wolf has a larger heart than all these men combined!
Gives Edrahil a chaste kiss on the cheek.

Edrahil(Little Wolf): đŸ˜łđŸ˜¶â˜ș


(The reference to Epic the Musical made me grin)
 
Nessa(Athena): One young wolf has a larger heart than all these men combined!
Gives Edrahil a chaste kiss on the cheek.

Edrahil(Little Wolf): đŸ˜łđŸ˜¶â˜ș


(The reference to Epic the Musical made me grin)
And now this is a funny coincidence.
Edrahil's name 'Hravindo' means 'Wild Heart'.
(The word 'indo' for 'heart' is in the sense of 'will or resolve', rather than a physical heart, and the word for 'wild', 'hrĂĄva', is related to the word for free or unfettered - so his name could also mean 'free of will or resolve')
 
An Elf is never early nor is he late; he arrives precisely when he means to. Cringes at ending the sentence with a preposition, but... accuracy. What can I say?

What I can say: WOWOWOWOWOWOW. I was not expecting to be as drawn into this as I was. Sure, I thought I would get an absolutely adorable little Eddie story (which I did), but so much more than such; this was the very definition of investment! And believe me, I secured all my stock.

I am certain this is my favorite piece of writing from you. As of now. Until your next best thing comes along and hits me. But right now, you've knocked me over with a willow leaf. And I am bewildered by how deeply I adore this short but treasurous tale.

I was rooting for little Eddie every step of the way. His birthday? The sculpture? Hoping the bullies would just... no? Please? Don't you even dare try? I can't even describe how much I just wanted to protect little Eddie at all costs and just make him feel loved.

And I loved the Nessa cameo! Something about the acknowledged-but-unacknowledged grieving in two similar but so-different ways in such near capacities was absolutely a gem to behold. Just the way Eddie and Nessa are so near to each other, and so far from each other, and yet are closer in their shared-but-not-shared sorrow. UGH, THE BEAUTY OF IT!!!!!!!

Edrahil can never go back to being a name in an index. Or a passing mention in a chapter. He is a living, breathing bundle of wholesomeness and preciousness, and I just root for him and Nessa and their future all the more. There's always hope when we don't see the end.
 
I am certain this is my favorite piece of writing from you. As of now. Until your next best thing comes along and hits me. But right now, you've knocked me over with a willow leaf. And I am bewildered by how deeply I adore this short but treasurous tale.
And now I am bowled over and bewildered by you saying this one's your favourite. 😂
I guess it's hard for me to judge its impact, as it comes from the heart, bypassing much of the meticulous thought I must put into most of my writing.

It's very weird to write from the perspective of an Fi-dominant character (as Edrahil is an ISFP). Fi is a backseat driver for me, whereas for him it's the lens through which he sees the world.
While Curufin's journey and struggles in my stories about him are constantly relatable and impactful to me, Edrahil's is... not in the same way. More in the unconscious realm than the conscious, I think.
I know this story about Edrahil means a lot to me, and I am very attached to it, but I cannot isolate or describe the reasons why. (They remain a nebulous blob within me, weighty and many-aspected but incommunicable!) Though I do know what real-life inspirations and feelings have informed this story, that's not quite the same thing. And therefore I don't know how other people would feel about this story either: I'm often as surprised as they are.


I was rooting for little Eddie every step of the way. His birthday? The sculpture? Hoping the bullies would just... no? Please? Don't you even dare try? I can't even describe how much I just wanted to protect little Eddie at all costs and just make him feel loved.
💯

'Must protect' is a common reaction amongst the other readers of this. And yes, indeed. Also give him hugs and make him feel appreciated. đŸ„ș


And I loved the Nessa cameo! Something about the acknowledged-but-unacknowledged grieving in two similar but so-different ways in such near capacities was absolutely a gem to behold. Just the way Eddie and Nessa are so near to each other, and so far from each other, and yet are closer in their shared-but-not-shared sorrow. UGH, THE BEAUTY OF IT!!!!!!!
This was @Tyelkormo the Fair's idea, of having Nessa at this point in her life going somewhere alone to weep, and unknowingly doing so near young Eddie. She suggested I write it as part of a short story about the younger Edrahil, I got inspired, and then The Sculpture and the Willow resulted from it. I don't always get inspired by ideas and suggestions like that, not enough to commit myself to produce a piece of writing. I think the story wanted or needed to be told, and I thank Tyelko for giving me a starting point and setting off the chain reaction of ideas in my mind!

It is a very sweet moment. Not quite hurt/comfort, since no comfort is actively given. And Nethien has no knowledge at all that she is not alone there. But Edrahil perceives the hurt and wishes to offer comfort. At this young age, he is more likely to weep himself when he witnesses another's pain or grief. He has not yet reached the stability of maturity where he is confident enough and practised enough at being practical to naturally extend his empathy into an appropriate level of action, which allows him to be a strong support without being overcome/overwhelmed by the emotion himself.

And yet, somehow, there was still a moment of connection there. Hard to describe, but it is 'shared-but-not-shared sorrow' indeed. One of those moments where everything feels different for a moment, where the usual routines and scripts of life have been halted, interrupted, or broken for a moment, in a marvellous way which allows for fresh perspective. Which is needed, however little it changes the realities of everyday life and the thoughts and deeds you must deal with once you get back into the rhythm of routine. Though Edrahil wished to give comfort, it was he who received it, at least a bit. Simply the knowledge that one is not alone makes a big difference.


Edrahil can never go back to being a name in an index. Or a passing mention in a chapter.
Indeed not! And yet, you can see even at this stage of his life that this is the sort of person who would do what he did in that brief mention in the Silmarillion. Remaining undeterred by the fear of what could come to pass, and unswayed by the pressure to conform to the ways of his fellows.

He is a living, breathing bundle of wholesomeness and preciousness, and I just root for him and Nessa and their future all the more. There's always hope when we don't see the end.
❀
So do I, even though I'm one of the writers of their story!
 

Similar threads

Back
Top