• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Drawing The Snow-Elf Challenge

Maedhros_Nelyafinwë

CPA of Himring
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 28, 2022
Messages
3,750
Merry Christmas to my wonderful friends: @Fingon_Findekáno , @Glorfindel Goldtress , @Server Room Gremlin and @Tyelkormo the Fair !

1000000818.jpg


I don't really remember how the concept of Snow-Finno occurred to me, but it was just one of those things that appeared vividly in my mind. Basically, for some reason there's a Snow-Elf challenge going on around Valinor, where you have to build somebody into a snowman. If Valinor had TikTok, this would have started on Valinorian TikTok. Naturally, Finno volunteered to be the test subject, Curvo wanted to help engineer the Snow-Elf to be Structurally Optimal™️, and Glorfindel decided to help out because he's buds with Fingon and thought it sounded fun. Tyelko and Íri weren't that interested in helping with the challenge itself, and preferred instead to start a Snowball War. Maitimo didn't know about any of this until it was too late, and naturally he's horrified at the idea of his bestie being built into a FREEZING COLD SNOWMAN and then attacked with snowballs!!! So he hurries outside as fast as he can. He didn't put on a coat or anything though, thus invoking Aranya’s wrath as she chases him with his cloak.

This was a really difficult drawing because the composition was so tricky due to the involvement of 7 characters. It was also extremely time consuming, taking over 14 hours in total, and even then I didn't do all the lighting and shading I wanted, and I'm dissatisfied with how some of the character's faces came out. But I'm happy with how the composition turned out, and I'm pleased I got as much shading done as I did. As of Sunday, I was worrying I'd only have lineart to give you, or maybe lineart and a very basic base color. But I managed to use my downtime between the Christmas services while I was volunteering at church on Monday and Tuesday, and that's how I got so much of it done. I also had to force myself to accept some imperfections and move on, otherwise I would have spent ages fussing with the lineart and likely never gotten the rest done.

Another thing that added to the difficulty was the somewhat low resolution of my canvas. I didn't want the image to be enormous, and yet 7 characters had to fit on it, so it was basically the equivalent of drawing in my notebook margins. Tiny space, little room for error, and not super sharp line quality. Also, the TTF version is a bit lower resolution, and I'll send you the higher resolution version over Discord.

For funsies, here's an early initial sketch with some beginnings of lineart:
1000000763.jpg

The Lego minifigure-like expressions were just a placeholder, but they cracked me up! Mostly Tyelko's, Íri's, and Curvo's.

Also, even in this early stage, you can see how my brain finds it very important to make sure Maitimo’s not skipping leg day. Or arm day. Or ab day. 👀

Now, here are some details for you guys about how I drew your characters.

@Tyelkormo the Fair : Íri practically drew herself! It was extremely easy for me to move her from the rough sketch phase to the lineart phase, and her face only took me one attempt for some reason. That was unexpected, yet a happy, especially since I hadn't really drawn her before this. As for Tyelko, I have a pretty solid routine for drawing his features at this point, but I think I'm too used to drawing grown up Tyelko because he initially looked like the manliest elf you've ever seen in your life. Chiseled cheekbones, solid square jaw, the works. It looked like Tyelko as I imagine him, but much older than everyone else. Thankfully, with a few tweaks such as making the cheekbones rounder, shortening the midface and so on, I managed to make him look more like a teenager without totally ruining the things I liked about his face.

@Fingon_Findekáno : Finno was easy enough for me too, but with the opposite problem-- I kept struggling with him looking too young, and even now I think he looks a little too young still. But what's more important is that the Overly Cheerful Finno Energy is there, and I guess I didn't tinker with his face too much because I didn't want to ruin that. Also, to do a believable snowman shape, I first sketched in his body and then just added snow around it. I also discovered his color season seems to be Bright Winter. He seems to look most like himself in these super bright, saturated colors-- colors which I normally avoid on the color wheel because they're so bright, but I think they suit both his coloring and his personality. I also had lots of fun doing his braids!

@Glorfindel Goldtress : Just. GLORFINDEL'S HAIR. That's it, that's the speech! But seriously, this is another part of the drawing that basically drew itself. The very first gold color I picked to be the base was basically perfect. And the golden brown I used on multiply mode for shadows, combined with a pale yellow on add mode, made the hair basically glow! The nature of the Add layer adds a sort of glow to highlights, and wow. Liquid gold right there. I could go on for ages about that hair but I will force myself to shut up about it! It definitely makes me want to draw Glorfindel again sometime, in much more detail. (He was almost the subject of my Huge Elf Drawing of 2022/2023, so that works out!) I'm very glad I know about color analysis even if only for the sake of art, because the Warm Spring colors I picked were very harmonious with him. Also, his face came fairly easy to me. I realized in my imagination, his facial features and body type are both very similar to Maitimo. Which led me to think it would be hilarious if for some reason they swapped places, needing only a wig or hair dye to impersonate each other! And finally, please observe how his hair is flowing for no reason (there's no wind, and he'snot running). 😏

@Server Room Gremlin : Curvo would much rather be drawn in his forge than here, apparently! Would you tell him to be a little less portrait shy? He and Maitimo were the ones whose faces I massively struggled with. I fussed a lot with the angle of his mouth, because having it slanted at a sharp angle conveyed the comedic expressive "hmmm" effect I wanted, but doing it too much looked wonky relative to the semi-realistic style of the rest of his face. I also think he came across looking like "you can take the smith out of the forge but you can't take the forge out of the smith." That dark, grungy color palette I used in Curufin the Compliant carries through here. And his expression is dead on to what I imagined, even if the facial features didn't come out as perfectly as I'd hoped. He's also maybe not as bundled up as the others, but at the same time, he's practical with his cloak, gloves and boots. Tyelko, though, he's bundling up but also not, wearing gloves and a fur-lined tunic, but at the same time he's got a plunging neckline! I guess Curvo isn't following his fashion advice today!

Hope you all enjoy this! Please leave a comment even if you can only leave a short one, because it was a huge effort for me to get this to you in light of my nonstop hectic schedule. Merry Christmas, and I'm so grateful to have you all as friends!
 
I immediately found Aranya furiously running after Maitimo hilarious. 😂 It's that particular running pose and expression.

but I think I'm too used to drawing grown up Tyelko because he initially looked like the manliest elf you've ever seen in your life
This also cracked me up.

Just. GLORFINDEL'S HAIR. That's it, that's the speech!
Indeed, that hair is fine. 👌 It draws the eye.

Curvo would much rather be drawn in his forge than here, apparently! Would you tell him to be a little less portrait shy?
Doesn't really work when he's in a larger group of people. 😂 Unless he's drunk...
It's also funny how he refuses to blush as much from the cold as everyone else. He's too focused on getting that perfect snow-Elf. >_>
(Honestly, this is me during group activities when visiting people. E.g. if we're playing Minecraft multiplayer on consoles, I stop chatting very much and focus on building my things...)
Or Curufin's just so pale that his blush finally makes him look a normal healthy colour, lol.

I do really like the whole structure/composition of this. Their facial expressions are great (love Finno's cheery pose and smile!), and the lineart ones are especially funny.
And we have a dark- and light-haired pair on the left, with very similar cheeky/evil facial expressions, and another on the right, with almost identical cheerful/innocent faces. The other three characters break this up and add extra chaos (which is very fitting).

Merry Christmas, and I'm so grateful to have you all as friends!
Why thank you very much! ☺️😁 I look forward to spending time chatting with all you guys as well, and sharing stories and artwork, and engaging in random chaotic roleplay.
 
It's also funny how he refuses to blush as much from the cold as everyone else. He's too focused on getting that perfect snow-Elf. >_>
Or Curufin's just so pale that his blush finally makes him look a normal healthy colour, lol.
You know, I couldn't find a blush color that looked good on him! So I decided since you've commented on him being super pale, to just leave him like that. Too much blush would have ruined the Curufinwë Aesthetic, I think.

Also, fun fact: All the cool toned people (except Curvo) have purple blush (with varying saturation, depending on how bright they are). Glorfy has orange blush. Maitimo has peachy pink blush. But it looks pink on all of them because of color relativity.

(Honestly, this is me during group activities when visiting people. E.g. if we're playing Minecraft multiplayer on consoles, I stop chatting very much and focus on building my things...)
Yeah, it's hard to try to talk to people when you're focusing on something creatively! I might need to multitask most of the time, but for me that usually means Hands plus Problem Solving have to be active at the same time. So, drawing or sewing or writing are enough to keep my whole mind busy, because they involve both Hands and Problem Solving. Whereas crocheting or doing a monotonous thing at work only involve the hands, and not the brain so much. I guess listening to stimulating music or a story or podcast can also replace the problem solving part of the brain. But Problem Solving plus Talking is not a possibility for me either.

I do really like the whole structure/composition of this. Their facial expressions are great (love Finno's cheery pose and smile!), and the lineart ones are especially funny.
Thank you, it was tricky to lay out!

And we have a dark- and light-haired pair on the left, with very similar cheeky/evil facial expressions, and another on the right, with almost identical cheerful/innocent faces. The other three characters break this up and add extra chaos (which is very fitting).
Very true! It's also ironic because Maitimo is trying to stop the chaos, not contribute to it, yet he actually is contributing to it (and will likely end up with a snowball to the face...)
 
Merry Christmas to my wonderful friends: @Fingon_Findekáno , @Glorfindel Goldtress , @Server Room Gremlin and @Tyelkormo the Fair !
You outdid yourself, mellon vuin!

I was beside myself with how easily I could envision this playing out before my eyes. 😂 Everyone is doing precisely what makes sense for each of them to be doing!

Of course Fingon is the Snowman! Who else would try it out? And naturally Glorfindel wants to help! Sunshine Bros always stick together! Next to them, Curufin's serious calculating look cracks me up. The fact he's got some tools ready on hand for outdoors is just hysterical.
"you can take the smith out of the forge but you can't take the forge out of the smith."
Dead. On!!! 🤣

But more about glorious Glorfindel the Golden! Oh, the HAIR. Matches his description perfectly!!! It is actually radiant as if it has a light of its own. Absolutely giving Laurelin. And the curls, the length, just, ohhh! Perfection! The salience of the art draws the line of sight instinctively toward Glorfindel, just like he would naturally do. Beautifully done.
It definitely makes me want to draw Glorfindel again sometime, in much more detail.
👀👀👀
Waiting for the day a Glorfindel portrait sidles up besides Maedhros! Knowing you, art only gets better and better! And you're right, there are really quite some similarities between the two of them; both feature-wise and personality-wise (ENFJ strong!). And they do cool things, of course. Perhaps that's why they're my favorite Non-Finwian and Finwian Elves!

Speaking of Maedhros, can we just talk about his running form + expression? Pure gold. It's the classic, "Oh, no, what is my kin doing, and why am I the only competent adult to set things straight?" run. 🤣 Aranya in the background is just giving me life with her classic "Here's the one competent adult who takes care of everyone but himself; it's up to me to set him straight!" run. 🤣

To top it all off? We have the unflappable (not inflatable, Autocorrect!) duo of Aredhel and Celegorm figuratively spelling "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" with their snowballs. You can be certain the Harbinger of Chaos is hovering just off-screen whispering instructions via the wind... 🫣

Suffice to say, I think I'm in love with this art. Thank you so much for bringing us joy with it! 🥰
 
You outdid yourself, mellon vuin!

I was beside myself with how easily I could envision this playing out before my eyes. 😂 Everyone is doing precisely what makes sense for each of them to be doing!
Thank you! And very true! You know, I thought every character is displaying their default emotion here!

But more about glorious Glorfindel the Golden! Oh, the HAIR. Matches his description perfectly!!! It is actually radiant as if it has a light of its own. Absolutely giving Laurelin. And the curls, the length, just, ohhh! Perfection! The salience of the art draws the line of sight instinctively toward Glorfindel, just like he would naturally do. Beautifully done.
That light is all thanks to the Add layer! And yes, the composition was tricky. I made a few practice sketches before I made the real thing, and it was super hard to place all the characters in a way that was taking the eye somewhere, rather than looking like a jumbled mess.

Waiting for the day a Glorfindel portrait sidles up besides Maedhros! Knowing you, art only gets better and better!
Hang on though-- I can't in good conscience make a Glorfindel portrait that's better than my Maedhros portrait! That would be a disgraceful betrayal!

And you're right, there are really quite some similarities between the two of them; both feature-wise and personality-wise (ENFJ strong!). And they do cool things, of course. Perhaps that's why they're my favorite Non-Finwian and Finwian Elves!
Oh hey, I didn't know Glorfy was an ENFJ! I guess their personalities and looks are similar with the main difference being that Maitimo's got Le Anxiety and Depression and so he's not a bundle of joy like Glorfy is. But yep, my opinion is the same as yours. Before I really became a Silm fan, Glorfindel and Maedhros were the Silm characters who grabbed my attention the most. Maedhros became my favorite at the end because of his torment and tragedy but, I'll always love Glorfindel too!

Speaking of Maedhros, can we just talk about his running form + expression? Pure gold. It's the classic, "Oh, no, what is my kin doing, and why am I the only competent adult to set things straight?" run. 🤣 Aranya in the background is just giving me life with her classic "Here's the one competent adult who takes care of everyone but himself; it's up to me to set him straight!" run. 🤣
Hehe yes, you nailed it! It sure was tricky to do his running pose. I'm glad the Mairanya energy carries through!

To top it all off? We have the unflappable (not inflatable, Autocorrect!) duo of Aredhel and Celegorm figuratively spelling "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" with their snowballs. You can be certain the Harbinger of Chaos is hovering just off-screen whispering instructions via the wind... 🫣
Oh absolutely! He may not be physically present, but that doesn't mean he's not there!

Suffice to say, I think I'm in love with this art. Thank you so much for bringing us joy with it! 🥰
Aww, you're welcome, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
 

Similar threads

Back
Top