• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Theoden 👑King and his death?!

Celebthôl

Loremaster
Joined
Oct 2, 2002
Messages
2,413
Am i the only one who saw Theoden recieve a wound in Helms Deep? by the doors where the Uruk-hai have broken through. Am i right in thinking that this wound maybe how Theoden dies?

Thoughts please

Thôl
 
Didn't the pike just stab him in the arm? He wouldn't die from a wound like that.
 
Yeah, he just got stabbed in the shoulder, and it wasn't enough to kill him. He went riding out into the middle of the battle after he got the injury. I'm pretty sure he'll still be alive and kicking when they get to the Pelennor Fields. ;)
 
i no he doesnt die till then, but why did it happen? it didnt in the dook, and if it was a bruise then why was he holding his side afterwards?
 
Originally posted by Celebthôl
i no he doesnt die till then, but why did it happen? it didnt in the dook, and if it was a bruise then why was he holding his side afterwards?

I think if I was swinging a sword against 10,000 or so orcs, I'd be a little battered after the battle too.
 
then why isnt it mentioned in the book? im sure if he was wounded it would have said it even briefly
 
Originally posted by Celebthôl
....then why isnt it mentioned in the book?
Because Jackson and his family, the cloth-eared sctiptwriters, invented it, along with a thousand other bits of nonsense, large and small. Why did they do that? Your guess is as good as mine,
and sure thing they will never tell.
 
Originally posted by Celebthôl
then why isnt it mentioned in the book? im sure if he was wounded it would have said it even briefly

If I remember correctly, in the book, Theoden doesn't enter into the battle until they all ride out near the end. He spent the whole time inside the tower.
 
exactly, thats my point, IMHO it is something leading up to a bigger outcome...
 
you silly billy, i no that, but it showed Aragorn again and it wasnt mentioned again. But Theoden's injury wasnt explained, as the film finished before it could be...
 
Every injury doesnt need an explaination, it was just showing the hardships of war..thats the way i saw it.

If this wound hinders him at all in RotK im going to be extremely disappointed, as it wouldnt even have hindered one of them little kids fighting at Helm's Deep, let along the great King Theoden.
 
yeah well who would have seen warg riders attacking the people moving to Helms Deep, who would have seen Aragorn falling off a cliff, who would have seen Narsil not being reforged until later, my point being stupid things like that happen, especailly in the film! but i guess we shall see.
 
No, Theodon does not get wounded enough at Helm's Deep to die. I believe most of the answers here sum it up way better than I ever could.
 
so why does he get wounded then? and why should it show us him getting wounded?
 
Good question, maybe just to show that no one is invincible? even the king can be struck in his own fortress I don't know but I don't think that wound was bad enough to kill him. You do see Theoden after his injury as well, he seems fine afterwards
 
I believe joxy hit the nail. This was all another invention by the filmmakers.
Hopefully, we will never know why they did this. If we will get a reason, I'm not sure if I'm going to like it...

Still, a very good film.;)
 
Originally posted by Arvedui
I believe joxy hit the nail. This was all another invention by the filmmakers.
Hopefully, we will never know why they did this. If we will get a reason, I'm not sure if I'm going to like it...
I'm sure you would NOT like it! I used to ask WHY PJ invented such a lot of nonsense; then I heard him explain why The Prancing Pony is dark and dirty, and found I'd rather not have known after all..
No doubt the wilder the inventions, the darker the corners of PJ's mind that they come from, and the better off we are for not being able to see into those corners!
 

Similar threads

Back
Top