We are talking about
Sauron's own power.
It wasn't
Frodo's or
Gollum's own power at work when they succeeded in destroying
the one ring. No, it was
God's grace -
Gandalf believes in its action when he says:
Behind that there was something else at work, beyond any design of the
Ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that
Bilbo was meant to find
the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought
Also
Elrond proves it when he says:
Called, I say, though I have not called you to me, strangers from distant lands. You have come and are met here, in this very nick of time, by chance as it may seem. Yet it is not so. Believe rather that it is so ordered that we, who sit here, and none others, must now find counsel for the peril of the world."
It is unreasonable to believe that the
hobbits destroyed the ring out of their own reservoir of power. Through this parallel I intend to prove that the result of one's actions are not a measure of one's power, but the result of the interaction with other's power too and, of course, with the power of the chance (or to be more correct - the grace and the will of
Eru, towards which everything converges).