• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Tolkien's poems about WIND

I don't have any computer help, but just flipping through The Fellowship of the Wind. . . ouch, I mean Ring.

Three is Company [in windy fields now bright and clear]

A Short Cut to Mushrooms [rain may fall and wind may blow]

A Conspiracy Unmasked [though wind may blow and rain may fall]

The Old Forest [Light goes the weather-wind and the feathered starling]

Fog on the Barrow-Downs incantation [in the black wind the stars shall die]

Tom sings [Shrivel like the cold mist, like the winds go wailing]

Many Meetings [The winds of wrath came driving him]

Lothlórien [And in the wind she went as light
as leaf of linden-tree]

And in the same poem, two more [A wind by night in Northern lands]

[The wind was in his flowing hair]

Farewell to Galadriel (Sometimes called Farewell to Lórien)

[Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches blew]

I also note some prose description before Galadriel begins singing. "Then it seemed to Frodo that she lifted her arms in final farewell, and far but piercing-clear on the following wind came the sound of her voice singing."

[Ah! like gold fall the leaves in the wind - Ai! Laurie lantar lassi súrinen - "in the wind"]

I'll should stop with Galadriel, but this bit of Elvish poetry came to mind. Forgive me my Lady!

"The Markirya Poem" ​

as it's been called by some

Man hlaruva rávëa súre
Who shall hear the wind roaring
 
Last edited:
Ah that's a good one Eljorahir! I wish I'd thunk of it!


The Departure of Boromir

There are various references to the wind, West Wind, North Wind, South Wind, in the song sung by Aragorn and Legolas

The Riders of Rohan


West wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree [and same poem] Or West Wind blow again between the Mountains and the Sea?

Treebeard

Ah! the wind and the whiteness and the black branches of Winter upon Orod-na-Thôn!

And there are at least two references to wind in the Elvish "Ent and Entwife" song.

The King of the Golden Hall

They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;

Again, I'm just flipping through chapters of The Lord of the Rings, and I could easily be missing some as I go. And looking at a different source for the moment.

The Lay of The Children of Húrin

Came a summer day when sun filtered
warm through the woodland's waving branches.


Well I'm guessing the wind was involved here ;)

(. . .)
foot-prints could find on forest pathways
that lightly on the leaves were laid in moons
long waned, and washed by windy rains.


And to end with Galadriel. . .

'Hail! toft and Tree,
timbers carven!
Maid here was once
who is mournful queen.'
Wild blew the wind
waves white-crested.
On land of Volsung
she looked no more.


The Lay Of The Volsungs, II Signý

Okay not Galadriel. Again, forgive me my Lady!
 
The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Steeds went striding to the Stoningland
as wind in the morning. War was kindled.


The Last Debate

Tall grows the grass there. In the wind from the sea
the white lilies sway
[and same poem last line] In the wind from the Sea!

The Field of Cormallen

The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying

And as proof that I've missed poems as I flipped through,
back to
The Fellowship of the Ring

The Old Forest

Wind on the open hill, bells on the heather

In the House of Tom Bombadil

O wind on the waterfall, and the leaves' laughter

The Ring Goes South

with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.


Erm. And who knows how many more I might have missed! But anyway, from The Hobbit

Queer Lodgings

The wind was on the withered heath

is a nice windy poem!

And to end with something Galadriel said, slightly edited by me

Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the windy meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring. Farewell!

Okay it was "the willow-meads of Tasarinan" actually, but when Galadriel speaks, poetry happens.
 
The Trees of Kortirion has various references to the wind scattered throughout, including a windless air. Examples:

swiftly passing breeze
ready to the winds
(Elves) pass like a wind
a wind in the grass
windless air
heedless winds
shadows in the wind
windy ghosts
wafted by cold airs

Of Beren and Lúthien (The Silmarillion, The Lay of Leithian) and The Lay of Leithian

Their white ships with their white sails
From lamplit havens. The wind wails,

Behold! her hair from windows blew
in morning airs, and darkly grew
waving about the pillars grey
of Hirilorn at break of day.

[close enough in my opinion]

Towards Doriath the wanderers now
were drawing nigh. Though bare the bough,
though cold the wind, and grey the grasses
through which the hiss of winter passes,
they sang beneath the frosty sky


Some examples from The Lay of Leithian Recommenced

and barren mountain-winds, there lay
a tarn of water, blue by day

at dusk of autumn sad with rain
a cold wind whining. Lo! a light

One cry he gave - and then the light
blew out, and in the wind of night

Dark from the North now blew the cloud;
the winds of Autumn cold and loud

Their livid boughs in a cold breeze
trembled, and all their black leaves stirred

he passed - a shadow on the snow,
a swirl of wind, and he was gone

Ar-Melian, the Lady grey,
as silent as the windless trees,

[okay that's windless again, but still]

Towards Doriath the wanderers now
were drawing nigh. Though bare was bough,
and winter through the grasses grey
went hissing chill, and brief was day,
they sang beneath the frosty sky


Compare to the earlier version above if you want to

Anyway, Galadriel.
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help!
When me and my scientific supervisor get some results of the research, I'll share them with you.
By the way, last year I wrote my course paper about wind in G.B. Smith's poetry who was Tolkien's friend. As a result, we found two conceptual metaphors that are common for G.B. Smith's poems. They are "Wind as a Living Being" and "Wind as a Dark and Mystical Force". The last one may be connected with Smith's experience during the First World War.
It will be very interesting to compare Smith's and Tolkien's images of wind.
 
I'm certainly interested!

But I'm a little winded for now. Ahem.
sorry

Still. . . maybe one more.

There blowing free unbraided hair
Is meshed with light of moon and sun,
And tangled with those tresses fair

A gold and silver sheen is spun.
There feet do beat and white and bare
Do lissom limbs in dances run,
Their robes the wind, their raiment air —
Such loveliness to look upon
Nor Bran nor Brendan ever won,
Who foam beyond the furthest sea
Did dare, and dipped behind the sun
On winds unearthly wafted free.


JRR Tolkien, The Nameless Land
published in 1924

Hmm. Tresses fair reminds me of someone.
 

Today's events

Back
Top