• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Unfinished Tales: Of Amroth.......

Who are the parents of Amroth?

  • Celeborn & Galadriel

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Amdir (it never mentions his wife's name)

    Votes: 8 88.9%

  • Total voters
    9

redline2200

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2002
Messages
252
UT: Of Amroth.......

I was reading the part in UT when it says that no one really knows who Amroth's parents are because Tolkien says two different things at two different times. So who do you believe are the true parents of Amroth the elven King of Lórien?
 
Last edited:
I also agree that it was Amdir. Often in Tolkien's writings members of the same family have similar names. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the mention of Amdir as Amroth's father is from later writings and thus may be what Tolkien intended.
 
Although he is mentioned as the son of Celeborn and Galadriel, I prefer him as the son of Amdir. It just seems to make more sense that way. Amroth was mentioned as king of Lorien. That doesn't make sense if he is Celeborn's son as much as it does if he is Amdir's son. He became king after Amdir was slain.

-Lasgalen
 
Its all very confusing. I'm still reading the UT and decided not to think about it! Otherwise my head will explode.

I have however, included an extract from the fantastic "Encyclopedia of Arda" website for your pleasure:

The issue of Amroth's descent is not entirely certain - a number of versions are given in Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth. The version given here appears to be most consistent with the information given in The Lord of the Rings, but others exist.

In particular, one tradition states that Amroth was the son of Celeborn and Galadriel - Christopher Tolkien suggests that this idea post-dates the publication of The Lord of the Rings, and was later rejected in its turn. In another version, the details are broadly similar to that given above, but the earlier King of Lórien (never explicitly identified as Amroth's father) is Malgalad, not Amdír.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top