• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Unknown Creatures

It does not mention in the Silmarillion such creatures. However, it might be that these were created during the discords of Melkor during the Ainulindale while the different themes were battling. I doubt that all that was created at these points would have been either Good or Evil, there would most likely have been some that were inbetween and owning allegiance to no side. These may be the Nameless creatures below the Mines of Moria.
 
I think another interesting question to ask ourselves is whether the creature was totally created by Morgoth or whether they were previously good creatures that were seduced by him or corrupted by him. Ungoliant was probably one of those which were already in existence but were seduced as were the Balrogs. As for the orcs these were corruptions of already existing creatures.
 
The response about the balrog was correct. I'm reading the Silmarillion now, and although I am not far through it, I have paid close attention to detail (even making charts and so forth, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a nerd) and balrogs were with Melkor in the First Age but escaped during his capture and hid in the deep places of the earth.
 
Well indeed, horses, crows, goblins, trolls, ents... None of these were ever said to be made by Illuvatar. They were all simply parts of the Music. The only major creations that were worthy of statement were the Vala, Maia, Elves, and Men. Durin's Bane, IMO, was simply a Balrog who was turned and then wrought in the fires of the deep pits of the Mines of Moria and simply couldn't escape the Mines... After all, he was much taller than a Dwarf, and even Gandalf had to stoop near the entrance.
 
Question:

If the Valar under the guidence of the Illuvatar created all of Middle Earth and its creations...why is there no account of Tom Bombadill

Is he a Valar, a Maia, or an anomaly?

I'm very curious...:rolleyes:
 
There is a seperate thread elsewhere that is completely devoted to the topic of 'Who is Tom Bombadil'. It is, at this time, 5 pages long. I don't think that we need to get into this topic on this thread.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top