• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Was Smaug the last 🐲dragon?

Solution
In Letter 144 JRRT wrote:
Dragons. They had not stopped; since they were active in far later times, close to our own. Have I said anything to suggest the final ending of dragons? If so it should be altered. The only passage I can think of is Vol. I p. 70 : 'there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough'. But that implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature.
If i remember correctly Gandalf said that the Rings could be destroyed by dragon fire but that there were none left.
I dont think anything else about the dragons was mentioned anywhere else so im assuming that he was the last. :(
 
Hi all

Lord T

If I'm not greatly mistaken Ganadalf says that not even dragons fire could unmake the ring, only the fire from whence it came, ie mount doom

and i would nearly risk to say that smaug was the last of his kind, but my memory is fussy and my copy of the hobbit not at hand
 
"Dragons. They had not stopped; since they were active in far later times, close to our own. Have I said anything to suggest the final ending of Dragons? If so it should be altered. The only passage that I can think of is Vol 1 p. 70: 'there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough'. But that implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature." JRRT

:)
 
As far as dragons and rings go I think that only the One is immune, since it alone was forged in Mt Doom.

Stale you say

Hence, unless Dragons were totally utterly evil, the good guys could have had a great weapon against the Nazgul.

I think it is a safe bet that all dragons were evil. Didn't Melkor make them? Anyone with a copy of Sil to hand know?

Even if they were not totally evil, I can't see them wanting to go up against the Nazgul just because they wanted to do good. You'd need a ring of power to control them. Anyway I don't think the Nazgul actually carried their rings around with them - other debates elsewhere seem to conclude S kept them in Barad Dur.
 
>>>If i remember correctly Gandalf said that the Rings could be destroyed by dragon
fire but that there were none left.

Gandalf actually says "There is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough".

So, he doesn't actually say there are no dragons left, but that those left are getting old....


BTW, what's a 'wyvern'?
Never heard that one before.
 
'there is not now any dragon left on earth
in which the old fire is hot enough'. But that implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature." JRRT

Tolkien's comment on his own sentence is that it implies that though there are none left of comparable "full primeval" stature, there are still Dragons.

Dragons had bred since the Old Days notably, and were said to have "multiplied" and became "strong again" at one point in the TA, afflicting the Dwarves (a great cold-drake slew Dáin I and Frór for example). Smaug was said to be the greatest of his contemporaries:

"... Smaug the Golden, greatest of the dragons of his day ..." Appendix A RotK
 
Last edited:
Great dragons

Originally posted by Lord T
If i remember correctly Gandalf said that the Rings could be destroyed by dragon fire but that there were none left.

Gandalf said that the One could only be destroyed in Mt. Doom Or by the Greatest of dragons, but there were none left. So, there were dragons but they were not that mighty...
 
Re: Great dragons

Originally posted by Taranir
Originally posted by Lord T
If i remember correctly Gandalf said that the Rings could be destroyed by dragon fire but that there were none left.

Gandalf said that the One could only be destroyed in Mt. Doom Or by the Greatest of dragons, but there were none left. So, there were dragons but they were not that mighty...


Ancalagon and if there were dragons surely sauron would know and try and get themin the war. I'm pretty sure i heard either bilbo, thorin or gandalf say that smaug was the last left but i can't remember were and i haven't got my books.
 
In Letter 144 JRRT wrote:
Dragons. They had not stopped; since they were active in far later times, close to our own. Have I said anything to suggest the final ending of dragons? If so it should be altered. The only passage I can think of is Vol. I p. 70 : 'there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough'. But that implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature.
 
Solution
I think we can say Smaug was not the last Dragon.

Tar-Elenion and I have posted a Tolkien quote (I posted part of it twice) that says as much In my opinion :)

'there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough'. But that implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature.' JRRT
 

Similar threads

Back
Top