Fingon_Findekáno
Loyal Best Friend
- Joined
- May 3, 2023
- Messages
- 3,052
You attended the Young Writer's Summit with Brett Harris?! I wanted to tune in, but I didn't have the time to. I knew about it because I receive emails from author S.D. Smith, who wrote the Green Ember series. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!I attended a free online writing summit (The Young Writer Summit, Brett Harris) the last few days. Have you heard of it or the Young Writer's Workshop? I should have shared about it with you and others on the forum. I took lots of notes and screenshots. It was fantastic!!! 🔥
I also got so many EXCELLENT book recommendations. I will share them with you if you want.
I had a feeling you knew about it @Fingon_Findekáno ! 😆 It was sooo good; I'm sorry you missed it. Almost every presenter mentioned Tolkien's work at some point! And one - Wayne Thomas Batson - was dressed as, and occasionally talked as Gandalf; he was cool 😂 Brett Harris's opening talk was 🔥 Everyone wove The Lord into their advice; the last speaker prayed before and after his talk. I will be back next year, and I pray you can too. But... I took lots of detailed notes and screenshots of all the presenters who did slideshows. I would be so happy to send you notes and slideshows; I don't mind one bit. I want to share all the good advice. If you really want them please, please do say so!You attended the Young Writer's Summit with Brett Harris?! I wanted to tune in, but I didn't have the time to. I knew about it because I receive emails from author S.D. Smith, who wrote the Green Ember series. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!
I found that in the school library when I was a kid. I had already read LOTR and The Hobbit, but I liked graphic novels and comics, so I was surprised and pleased to discover this.The Hobbit: A Graphic Novel, illustrated by David Wenzel and adapted by Chuck Dixon.
Oh, awesome! I'll let you know once I finish too, then we can exchange more of our thoughtsI finished The Seven Pillars of Wisdom: quite slow, but good and interesting as you said. I took notes on interesting phrases, points, quotes, and new vocabulary. But I could certainly feel Lawrence's journey - once I got to the end with the chapter in Damascus I felt the joy, relief, even tears of joy because 1) of the slow building of the whole book to it and 2) some of the descriptions were so moving. I would share some but I don't want to spoil your read!
What is Arabian Sands by Thesiger about? Sounds very intriguing.
Lawrence translated the Odyssey? Did not know that.
Your reading list sounds like mine... always vast and ever growing, filled with incredible books. 😂
I attended a free online writing summit (The Young Writer Summit, Brett Harris) the last few days. Have you heard of it or the Young Writer's Workshop? I should have shared about it with you and others on the forum. I took lots of notes and screenshots. It was fantastic!!! 🔥
I also got so many EXCELLENT book recommendations. I will share them with you if you want.
Tossup for me. I like both and re-read both books quite oftenI recently read The Illustrated Man. It was quite good. I think I prefer The Martian Chronicles, though.
...
I will certainly check out Arabian Sands soon! Thanks.Oh, awesome! I'll let you know once I finish too, then we can exchange more of our thoughts
I believe Wilfred Thesiger was an explorer in Arabia some time after Lawrence captured Damascus, or possibly at the same time. I think he mentioned Lawrence a few times in Arabian Sands. It's a very good book, it captures a very different perspective than Seven Pillars (not saying Seven Pillars is bad or anything, it's just different from AS). Thesiger is very fascinated by the desert and Bedu culture.
Yes, I think the Collins Classics version of the Odyssey is by Lawrence. It's not in poetic form, though, which is why I didn't finish it and switched to Fagles.
The Young Writers Summit sounds really interesting! I don't think I've heard of it before, but I'll look it up.
Yes please, I can always use book recommendations
Edit: : and D together as a smiley face automatically get replaced as. Whyyyyyyyy
If you were asked (like I'm asking you now 😄) to recommend (in your opinion) her 10 best mysteries (or maybe 15 of them) what would you list?@Idril Celebrindal I started reading Arabian Sands today. 😉
By the way, They Came to Bagdad by Agatha Christie is an incredible desert adventure-mystery; I have read many of her mysteries and consider it one of the best.
Woah! Lets see... It has been a few years.If you were asked (like I'm asking you now 😄) to recommend (in your opinion) her 10 best mysteries (or maybe 15 of them) what would you list?
This book is very good! As is the 1493 one. I myself plan to read the journals of Christopher Columbus soon as well. Few seem to understand Columbus, his purpose in sailing, and the truth of what was and what followed, today.1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
For some time now I regularly watch the fantastic documentaries of pre-Columbian America on Ancient Americas over on YouTube and I decided that I needed to start reading into the subject instead of only watching and that seemed a good start. I am only some 60 pages in as of right now but its already to my liking. Since in about two weeks I have to start teaching colonialism in the 8th grade history class, which starts with indigenous societies of Mesoamerica and Columbus, I hope it will help me to do the topic more justice than is usually done in the German education system - albeit far from perfection as this subject isn't part of university education for aspiring history teachers.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?