And I'm sure our all-understanding, all-knowing, all-judging PJ fans will be the best judges of that, wont they now?
Two ridiculous sentiments on one posting........
Joxy, from what I percieve you're not much of a purist, by the traditional deffinition. You claim the movie was accurate the vast majority of the time. This goes directly against what most purists argue (Mrs. Maggot, for example). When I refer to purists, I am not reffering to you. Take that as a compliment, if you will

.
But I really must protest when film advocates insist that the films are an ACCURATE rendering of the story when there is ample and growing proof for even the most casual viewer (especially as the other films are released) that they are nothing of the sort.
I am getting tired of these long posts, but you are assuming one deffinition for "ACCURATE" and I'm assuming another. No offense to you personally, but yes, most purists were, and to some extent still are, naive about the changes an adaptation makes. As I've state before, it is impossible to argue what the movie
could have been. Until you show me a better fantasy adaptation, that arguement carries no weight. What I increasingly find is people comparing the movie with the "movie" that goes on in thier minds when they read the book. It is indeed naive (to put it lightly) to assume that PJ could somehow know how
your movie plays out, let alone the movie of millions of other
Tolkien fans. And that is completely ignoring all the viewers who have never read Tolkien to begin with. So instead of drawing compromises (like the Harry Potter movie did), he simply followed his own, personal vision for how this movie aught to be made. That gives the movie an urgency that makes it not only the best fantasy movie ever made, but in my opinion one of the best movies ever made, in general. It is apparent that we have different ideas about adaptations and perhaps even art in general, which is perfectly fine. To me it's just very commendable what PJ did.