• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What exactly is an everlasting darkness?

I had the impression they were essentially swearing 'damn me to Hell if I break my oath'. The Everlasting Darkness sounds more 'active' than the Void, which just kind of 'is'. The 'Everlasting' Darkness is one that actively lasts forever.
In Tolkien's world, 'Shadow' is often associated with evil that actively or insidiously spreads over lands and among peoples. And even after the Third Age, when Morgoth and Sauron are both no longer physically located in the world, new 'shadows' still arise, and evil returns in different forms.

I don't know if I'm stretching things here, but if the Biblical Hell is a place where all evil will be thrown into at the end of the world, then in Tolkien's world, it must be a place of extreme darkness, where all things of shadow will end up. So the Everlasting Darkness might be Hell.
 
Last edited:
What could have happened to the sons of Fëanor if they were to break their oath?
If I can change could to should:

What should have happened if they broke the oath?
They should be rewarded with long life and happiness for doing the right thing. Violating an evil oath should not be punished in any way, IMO.
 
If I can change could to should:

What should have happened if they broke the oath?
They should be rewarded with long life and happiness for doing the right thing. Violating an evil oath should not be punished in any way, IMO.
I doubt it could have been that easy. Unless Eru himself decided to have been merciful with them which I think they lost this privilege after Alqualondë.
 
I see two questions at hand, but responses only to one.

The thread question: "What exactly is an everlasting darkness".
The poster's secondary question: "What could have happened...."

As the secondary question is getting all the attention here, perhaps the Thread title should be changed to that, and a separate thread set up asking solely "What exactly is an everlasting darkness?"

(this besides the fact the whole subject opens a vast web of ancillary questions as well..!!)

I love these things. (Says Ent as he observes the world from the shelf in front of his cave.)
 
@Ent ,I think at core,both of these questions are the same. What is an everlasting darkness that they damned themselves to? What could have happened to them in that everlasting darkness?
I think I'd like to know the answer to both,if there are any.
 
In the everlasting darkness, there is weeping and gnashing of teeth... My answer may be influenced by a certain Book.

I agree only an intervention of mercy and grace by Ilúvatar is the only hope for true release from the Oath and the terrible consequences. There must be an atonement for such. A gateway for why a Savior is needed...
 
I agree only an intervention of mercy and grace by Ilúvatar is the only hope for true release from the Oath
We know we see 'opportunities for repentance' presented throughout Tolkien's work. We also know we see at least one 'final opportunity' presented... the case with Saruman.

Is there any provision in the Oath matter, and its breaking, leaving room for 'repentance' without which Grace cannot intervene?
Do we see evidence elsewhere in Tolkien's work of such a matter being available when to be 'faithful' means to support the evil, rather than the good?

What support can we build from the text, both directly related and tangential in the events happening elsewhere and to others?

(Ent says as he ponders the questions to enter into his 'research' log.)
 
I would almost imagine the "everlasting darkness" to be akin to the Unlight of Ungoliant. The absence of all light, warmth, and substance. The Void is that which is beyond the bounds of reality itself, and is therefore not necessary evil or good (as @Server Room Gremlin said, it just is). The everlasting darkness seems to me that it would be more like a pocket dimension of untold suffering due to the absence of Being itself.

But again, as with much of Tolkien's work, this is something that will always be conjecture.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top