• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What is Eowyn Saying?

L.Greenleaf

Shire Dweller
Joined
Jan 15, 2003
Messages
132
I saw ROTK twice and still don't know what Eowyn tells Aragorn when she hands him a drink? It is at the beginning of the movie when they are celebrating in Rohan. If anyone knows what she says please let me know, thanks.
 
I think it was something about how the soup she made in TTT EE sucked, and that the wine would be good and she was making up for it with the wine or something.
 
I thought it was something more along the lines of..

"Oh Aragorn! I want you to be the father of my children! Please... take me NOW!!! *various Shelob screams*"

Huh? No one else heard that? Odd... ;)

I think Inderjit heard her say something about chronic diaherrea but I cant be sure...
 
It's Old English, i.e. Rohirric: 'Westu Aragorn hál'. Gandalf says the same line at Theodred's grave in the movie, and Eomer says it to Theoden when he is 'released' from Wormongues care in the books. I don't know my OE as well as I'd like, but I would guess it is a greeting of some sort.
 
I liked Ewoyn sayig that, recognising those lines from the book. It was a wonderful scene! I always thought that 'Westu Aragorn hal' meant something about praising Aragorn, just from in the context it was in in the books, but I will have to find those words again to see.
 
Kelonus said:
I like the avatar L.Greenleaf. Well Eowyn, a good woman, wanted Aragorn, a good man, but instead got Faramir who is just as good.

Thanks, I am glad you like my Avatar. Flame did a great job. I agree Eowyn wasn't left empty handed, she still got a good man.
 
Muha...ahahaha!
I found it, I did! Check it:

The Two Towers, The King of the Golden Hall
"The king now rose, and at once Éowyn came forward bearing wine. 'Furthu Theoden hal!' she said. 'Recieve now this cup and drink in happy hour. Health be with thee at thy going and coming!'"

Ahh, some more beauty of Rohirric.

So, in the book she says it to Theoden, and might actually have said Furthu instead of Westu? Hmm, guess I'll have to watch it again :rolleyes::D
 
Éomond said:
Muha...ahahaha!
I found it, I did! Check it:



Ahh, some more beauty of Rohirric.

So, in the book she says it to Theoden, and might actually have said Furthu instead of Westu? Hmm, guess I'll have to watch it again :rolleyes::D

Great work Eomond! I don't remmeber the exact word she used either. I guess I also will have to see it again :)
 

Similar threads

Back
Top