• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

where i can learn the middle earth languages?

B

Barry Scott

Guest
Sorry Guys, i have only taken up the Tolkien adventures at 20 years of age...i am a little behind. Is there any guides or internet sites where i can learn the middle earth languages?

Any help apreciated?
 
There are several resources one can use to learn about the languages in M-E.

The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth by Ruth S. Noel. Not entirely accurate, according to some, but helpful.

The Appendices in Return of the King contain a few bits of information.

The Histories of Middle-Earth are littered with terminology and other words.

I'm sure there are numerous web-sites, as well.
 
Quenya and Sindarin are very difficult and complicated languages to learn, even though there are many important words missing. Anyway, a really good book, which helps you learn and tells you about the Elvish languages and about the Tengwar, is Jim Allan's An Introduction to Elvish. The full name is a lot longer. Anyway, it's a very good source, I use it myself. :)
Welcome, Barry-me-lad! :D
 
I learned to write the Tengwar when i first read Lord of the Rings, but alas, I have lost the knowledge. I need to study and practice the scripting again.
 

Today's events

Back
Top