• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Where is the best place to learn Quenya?

Idril Celebrindal

Exile of Gondolin
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
666
I've been looking for different places to study Quenya for a while (I've been studying it lightly but I would like to learn more than just basic words), and I can't seem to find anything good. Sites like Parf Edhellen are great for word-by-word translation, but they don't really offer any courses. I did find one site called Ardalambion.net, but when I started watching one of their tutorials on YouTube, there was a weird warning about 1 minute in, along with a few strange things on the website, now I'm kind of hesitant to read anything on that website, or download any of the documents.
I did find a website called Eldamo.org. Is that a good site? It seems to teach more grammar than words, but I haven't looked too deeply into it yet, maybe there's more words later on.
Advice would be much appreciated :)
 
Eldamo is an excellent up-to-date site especially for finding answers to specific grammar questions, and also words.

I also recommend checking out Helge Fauskanger's YouTube channel (name: Ainon) for his Quenya course of 25 videos (so far) called "Speak Elf Yourself" which is also well up-to-date.

Thomas Ferencz's Neo-Quenya textbook (Atanquesta) can still be found via this link.

Fiona Jallings has handy tables on Quenya pronouns here.

More useful information can be found here. Albeit at the forum of elfdict com, I was given another, newer website for checking out the inflection (case endings) of Quenya nouns, but I can't find it in my Firefox "quenya" bookmarks. Maybe someone here has the link.

Here is one Quenya pronunciation guide. Hopefully the sound files still work. Another pronunciation guide can be found at realelvish net. Or you can visit the website Glǽmscrafu where you can listen to readings of attested Quenya texts.
 
Last edited:
The best up-to-date course is Eldamo Introductory Quenya by Paul Strack. I also highly recommend joining the server Vinyë Lambengolmor on Discord – there is no other community of Tolkienian linguists like that one on the Internet.
P.S. Note that I am speaking not about the articles on grammar and phonetics, but about a fully-fleged course written by Paul a couple of years ago, which has vocabulary and exercises as well as a very thorough and well-sourced introduction to grammar.
 
Last edited:
Best Ways to Learn Quenya (With information gathered by AI, NOT ENTIRELY AI)

Eldamo

  • Website: eldamo.org
  • What it is: A ful, structured course with grammar explanations, exercises, and vocabulary.
  • Why you’ll like it: It actually teaches you how the language works, not just lists of words.
  • Heads-up: Quenya isnt fully complete so some things are educated guesses.
Ardalambion
  • Website: ardalambion.net
  • What it is: Tons of detailed grammar, history, and vocabulary.
  • Why use it: Great for diving deeper or getting extra explanations.
  • Heads-up: Some of it is a bit old or fan-made guesses, so it’s better as a supplement than your main course.
Apps / Flashcards
  • Example: “Learn Quenya Elvish Language” (Android)
  • What it is: Quick vocab practice right on your phone.
  • Why use it: Perfect for reviewing and memorizing words.
  • Heads-up: Very basic—mostly words, not grammar.
YouTube Crash Courses
  • Example: “Language crash course: Quenya”
  • What it is: Short videos where you can hear and see Quenya in action.
  • Why use it: Fun and easy way to get introduced to the sounds and pronunciation.
  • Heads-up: Not enough to actually learn the language seriously.
Songs
  • If you could find songs in Quenya, then it could help you learn. I mean, that's what happened with me. I learned some Japanese by listen to Hamilton songs in Japanese.

Forums / Community Guides
  • Example: “Quenya for Beginners” threads, Tripod guides
  • Why use it: Great for tips, advice, and answers to tricky questions.
  • Heads-up: Not a full course. more like extra help.
How I’d Approach It
  1. Main study: Eldamo for grammar and exercises.
  2. Extra reading: Ardalambion for for deeper understanding.
  3. Vocab practice: Use a flashcard app.
  4. Fun/motivation: Watch YouTube videos.
  5. Check your work / ask questions: Forums and community guides.

Hope this helps :)
 
Last edited:
The best up-to-date course is Eldamo Introductory Quenya by Paul Strack. I also highly recommend joining the server Vinyë Lambengolmor on Discord – there is no other community of Tolkienian linguists like that one on the Internet.
P.S. Note that I am speaking not about the articles on grammar and phonetics, but about a fully-fleged course written by Paul a couple of years ago, which has vocabulary and exercises as well as a very thorough and well-sourced introduction to grammar.
Thank you for this! I am seriously considering digging into learning elvish myself and this looks amazing! 😄
 
Back
Top