• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Which is Better? ⚔️Battle for Helms Deep or Battle for Minas Tirith

buckleburyferry

New Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2024
Messages
10
I understand this is highly subjective but i'd like your take, personally I like the battle of Helms Deep more, despite it arguably being a less important battle in the grand scheme of things, cinematography wise i'd say it's better in every way.

Some of my reasons:
  • More practical effects, cgi battles weren't great at the time and the dark setting helped to hide it, to be honest, the setting probably helped hide some bad practical effects too.
  • Felt more gritty and grounded, like a depiction of war (besides the shield surfing), the battle for Minas Tirith was much more outlandish.
  • Paradoxically the stakes felt higher and it felt like there was more too lose, probably because they spent a little more camera time on the desperation of the situation.
  • The smaller, close setting allowed for a focus on quality set dressing, actors and costumes instead of a focus on quantity and larger pieces.
Which did you prefer?
 
Last edited:
Helm's Deep is dealt with relatively briefly in the books, which I think is a bit of a shame. Tolkien could have gone into more detail about this battle, whereas Minas Tirith leaves nothing to be desired in this respect.

Oh well, this is about the movies.
Well, what bothers me about Helm's Deep is that Elves appear (and are apparently slaughtered outright). That doesn't fit at all. And the Legolas surfboard scene is also completely ridiculous.
In Minas Tirith, I'm particularly bothered by the ending, when the wafting green spirits appear.
So basically, despite some good moments, both battles were not really satisfactorily realized.
 
I like the Helm's Deep battle better as well. It has more tension somehow. Minas Tirith is nice and all but by then there is SO much stuff happening story-wise to keep track of.
Yeah I absolutely agree, the battle of helms deep is the peak and focus of the two towers and the lead up was more pronounced whereas in the return of the king, like you say, there is a lot going on which in a way dilutes its importance.
 
Last edited:
Helm's Deep is dealt with relatively briefly in the books, which I think is a bit of a shame. Tolkien could have gone into more detail about this battle, whereas Minas Tirith leaves nothing to be desired in this respect.

Oh well, this is about the movies.
Well, what bothers me about Helm's Deep is that Elves appear (and are apparently slaughtered outright). That doesn't fit at all. And the Legolas surfboard scene is also completely ridiculous.
In Minas Tirith, I'm particularly bothered by the ending, when the wafting green spirits appear.
So basically, despite some good moments, both battles were not really satisfactorily realized.
I'll admit I've finished the fellowship and i'm half way into the two towers, no doubt I'll have some similar opinions once I've finished.

My god the shield surfing.. having not finished the two towers I was still able to be certain that would not have been in the book. I see what they were going for, some comic like relief but it didn't gel well imo.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top