• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Which Vala/Valie did Melkor fear the most?

Which Vala/Valie did Melkor fear the most?

  • Manwe

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Varda

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Aule

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yavanna

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Námo

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vaire

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irmo

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Este

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ulmo

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nienna

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orome

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vana

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tulkas

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Nessa

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    14
Perhaps I tend to be a bit biased, yet in my own mind, I believe that Melkor would most fear Varda. Since she is of the Stars, her entire existence is focused on Light piercing into darkness, peering through the sky as through a black curtain, shining radiantly. It is clear that Melkor is of darkness, not Light, and so I believe that he would fear Light more than anything else.

He might also fear Nienna, for her peaceful sorrow and sympathetic heart would surely anger him, as he seems to have no empathy or sympathy, and speaks in harsh cruel tones, deceitful and as poison, while Nienna speaks in love and longing, placing kindness ever foremost in her speech with others of the Valar, and no doubt also with Melkor. If Nienna spoke as is always her custom to speak, towards Melkor, I would suspect that it would anger and crush him, scorching him in such way as the Light of the Sun after days wandering in darkness...

Just a thought.
 
Melkor feared tulkas more than any other valar from the siege of utunmo where tulkas imprisoned him in a specialy forged chain, angainor and braught to valinor and kept prisoner in the halls of mandos for three ages. Tulkas is also the one who confronts melkor along with Turin and Earendil in dagor dagorath This is why melkor definitely fears tulkas more than any other vala.
Yes. I certainly agree. Have you ever had a moment where you make a Tolkien reference or quote to someone who has absolutely no idea what your talking about?
 
Yes. I certainly agree. Have you ever had a moment where you make a Tolkien reference or quote to someone who has absolutely no idea what your talking about?
100%. I'll be having a conversation, slip and say "mayhaps" instead of "perhaps" or start referencing the Music of Ainulindale or Feanor as examples for what I am trying to explain.

When they act confused: I ask them if they want an explanation, and sometimes they say yes, but while I'm explaining the 14 Valar, Illuvatar, Feanor, etc. they just space out. I even quiz them (occasionally) on Tolkien facts, in which they don't do that well...

However, most of my friends have watched the movies, though not read the books sadly, so when I talk about things that are actually canon, they also get a bit confused, or instance: the Evenstar necklace, the true one.
 
That is the same with me I often make references to the LOTR books while explaining things and most of the time people just stand there confused. I am currently on a mission to make my brother a Tolkien fan, but despite my best efforts he still hasn't read the books, though he has read the Hobbit.
 
That is the same with me I often make references to the LOTR books while explaining things and most of the time people just stand there confused. I am currently on a mission to make my brother a Tolkien fan, but despite my best efforts he still hasn't read the books, though he has read the Hobbit.
Well, I bid you the greatest fortune! Most all my friends have either watched the movies, or they haven't. None of them have read the books, and it makes me rather saddened. Despite that, I have this Forum full of all ye Tolkien-fans to enjoy, so that certainly makes things better.
 
Indeed this is the only place that I can discuss deeper stories of middle earth not just inside Peter Jacksons trilogy.
'Tis the same for me. I have certainly quizzed certain of my friends, just asked them if they knew who the Valar were, or what was my favorite poem from The Lord of the Rings, but they can only know these answers from listening to my explanations.
 
My farther, the person who got me into LOTR books has also read the silmerillion so I can have talks with him about the goings on of middle earth with him to some extent.
 
My farther, the person who got me into LOTR books has also read the silmerillion so I can have talks with him about the goings on of middle earth with him to some extent.
That is lovely. I am in solitude upon my deep harbored affection of Tolkien's works, and yet I enjoy it. This Forum has certainly made my love of Tolkien both grow, and be able to flourish.
 
Agreed. TTF is certainly a magical place of Tolkien's world.
Certainly, and yet not of the type of magic that is toxic and takes control over Earth. A sort of magic that is more of a transcending and enchanting nature, and does not oppose nor collide with the beauty of creation.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top