• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

📖👀 Who are the ancient forests mentioned by Treebeard's 🎶song?

📖👀 LOTR Reading Project
Noting too the chronology here: in Treebeards tale of the Entwives, the Ents learn of the Elves and speak with the trees, while the Entwives gave their minds to the lesser trees and to the "meads in the sunshine" . . . then the Darkness (Morgoth) comes . . .

. . . in addition to Treebeard's earlier statement that the Elves began waking up trees and teaching them to speak. "They wished to talk to everything, the old Elves did. But then the Great Darkness came and they passed away over the Sea, or fled into far valleys, and hid themselves . . ."

Treebeard's tale appears to be that of a Sun existing before the Elves crossed the Sea, and of a young world with spring and summer, with cherry blossoms, green herbs and sunshine.

Just sayin' . . . multiple traditions?

:)
 
I was hoping you would chip in here. I was having trouble finding your earlier comments about the Ainulindale C*.

This is the only actual contradiction I have found so far with the Quenta, if I may call it that . . . ? Pretty much everything else has been to do with names, which is not nearly so serious IMO (transmission blah blah . . .).
 
Just sayin' . . . multiple traditions?

:)
No problem with that, really!

I have said here that I would prefer not to be drawn into deep discussions here whilst I am reading LotR, but I am interested in whether you have put together a "recipe" of your own regarding the "astronomical" tradition. What stories and other things would it include? Can this tradition be made substantial enough to appreciate as a body of work in its own right?

No rush on my account, as I will be busy for another week or two I think! ;)
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top