• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who are the 🧙wizards???

Solution
Originally posted by Myself:
They other two were Alatar and Pallando.

They travelled into the east. After the War of the Ring, it is suspected that they created 'cults'. Their colors are unknown

I have not named the colors, because I do not know them.* I doubt if they had distinctive colors. Distincction was only required in the case of the three who remained in the relatively small area of the North-west. I really do not know anything clearly about the other two -- since they do not concern the history of the N.W. I think they went as emissaries to distant regions, East and South, far out of Numenorean range: missionaries to 'enemy-occupied' lands, as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear...
Originally posted by Myself:
They other two were Alatar and Pallando.

They travelled into the east. After the War of the Ring, it is suspected that they created 'cults'. Their colors are unknown

I have not named the colors, because I do not know them.* I doubt if they had distinctive colors. Distincction was only required in the case of the three who remained in the relatively small area of the North-west. I really do not know anything clearly about the other two -- since they do not concern the history of the N.W. I think they went as emissaries to distant regions, East and South, far out of Numenorean range: missionaries to 'enemy-occupied' lands, as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear that they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron.

The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, # 211

*He did refer to the other two a few times as The Blue Wizards.



Also, check out Istari and Maiar for more info.



And the plural of Maia is Maiar ;)
 
Solution
Beorn when you say that they traveled east after the War of the Ring which war are you referring to, the one at the end of the Second Age or the one at the end of the Third Age where Frodo destroys the ring, because if you refer the Third Age then I would think they would have some sort of involvement in the war, or should have

now that you guys mention the other 2 I want to know more about them and really wish tolkien would have included them in the stories:mad:
 
Last edited:
No, they travelled east at some point in time. Then, after the WotR, they started cults. AFAIK, they had nothing to do with the WotR
 
Welcome to the forum Jorg! :)
For more information on the Ithryn Luin (Blue Wizards), and the Istari in general, try to get your hands on an excellent book called Unfinished Tales. You will learn everything there is to know about them, and much more! (Uh-oh, sounding like a commercial..)

And I would like to further elaborate on the point made by Beorn:
Maia = singular, '1 Maia'.
Maiar = plural, 'many Maiar'

Istar = singular, '1 Istar'
Istari = plural, 'many Istari'

And it is the same for Ainu, Ainur; Vala, Valar; and other such Elvish names.
:)
 
The Sil says wizards were made from music. Those sent to middle earth were assigned or chose colors.. while back in the homeland... how many wizards could be running around in every color doing what?

Did color mean anything to Gandalf except for the usual black for bad, white for good?
 
Where did they say they were made from music? They were with Eru in the beginning when they sang the great musics but they themselves weren't made from music.
 
The Sil says wizards were made from music. Those sent to middle earth were assigned or chose colors.. while back in the homeland... how many wizards could be running around in every color doing what?

Did color mean anything to Gandalf except for the usual black for bad, white for good?

First of all Imagineer, since you posted this topic on about every section imaginable, I will answer you for good. The wizards are Maiar spirits. They were not created by music. Rather, Eru conceived them through thought, and he had them (and all the Ainur) create music. The music created visions of beauty.

Olorin was the wisest of the Maiar, and Curunir was another. In the Third Age (or sometime around then) the Valar saw the struggles of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth, and they sent five Maiar guardians, in the form of old men, to protect and sustain the earth. They were forbidden from revealing their full power, and therefore could not challenge Sauron openly. Instead, they were to work with the Free Peoples and thwart Sauron's forces. The Five Wizards were part of the White Council, a group of powerful Elves and wizards.

Two wizards, Alatar and Pallando, wandered off into the Far East and became stewards of Nardor. They are generally reputed to wear sea-blue robes.

Now, color is simply symbolic. Saruman was the head of the Istari (wizards) and so he was white, as white is the greatest color. The rest was in my opinion, for convenience. Gandalf was traveling abroad, and needed a fairly neutral color, so grey did, until he became head of the order. Radagast was interested in the olvar and kevlar, as he was a pupil of Yavanna's, and so brown was more suitable.

In summation, wizards is a general term, but the only wizards worth mentioning, and indeed, the only ones with real power, are the Istari; Maiar in human form.
 
Where did they say they were made from music? They were with Eru in the beginning when they sang the great musics but they themselves weren't made from music.
as far as I remember Eru created all of them: wizards, "gods", "angels", and the other spirits for the Great Music. as they played they realized things were coming to be. by the time it was far enough along for them to realize what was happening some joined the "reality" that was the music they had created. then again after entering realized they were still part of the shaping of this world/reality but had to "play by ear" because Eru wasn't there to lead the music anymore. still though as things progress they seem to understand there is a destiny for Middle Earth, or rather a preconceived story=music.
sound near anyone else's understanding?
 
Many people have speculated on the disappearance of the Blue Wizards. Some have suggested they wandered off and died. Some say they started cults and praticed the dark arts. Some say they joined Sauron. But the rumour I give most weight to is the one that says they became stewards of Nardor. Apparently someone wrote about a remnant of Numenor not of the Faithful that escaped the destruction of Numenor. They were swept far south into the mountains beyond Far Harad and started a kingdom there. A whole story was written about it.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top