Thorin
LOTR Purist to the end
- Joined
- Aug 20, 2001
- Messages
- 1,428
By IluinI see no evidence of The Watcher here; and it is not so clear-cut. When speaking about “The Watcher” specifically; he only refers to Orcs:
‘What was that thing, or were there many of them?’
‘I do not know,’ answered Gandalf; ‘but the arms were all guided by one purpose. Something has crept, or has been driven out of dark waters under the mountains. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.’
I don't understand your logic here, Iluin. Gandalf is answering the question about the Watcher in the Water. He says that there are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
Now Gandalf's words tell us two things...
1) His phrase "there are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world." are in direct correlation to the discussion of the Watcher
2) These 'older and fouler things' are NOT talking about Orcs but other things that are more older and more foul THAN the orcs are.
I don't see at all how the reference here is only talking about Orcs. It is talking about things 'other than' Orcs, not Orcs themselves. As the Orcs are foul and old, there are things that are more older and fouler...like the Watcher that was the starter of this conversation to begin with.
This is why I can't understand why there needs to even be clarification on this area concerning the Watcher.


