• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who here writes his/her own stories?

Bravo Frodoroacks, bravo. Good job.

Up until this last year I didn't write very good stories, but since sometime early last year I have been struck with a lot of ideas for stories and my writing has gotten better.
I've written most of my stuff for my freshman english class this last year. I've written a conclusion to an unfinished story for english. Maybe one of you had to do this to, it was called THE LADY OR THE TIGER? I'll sum it up for those of you who have not had to read this, the basic plot is that a princess and a peasant fall in love, which not only is against the law, but against her father's (the king's) wishes. So in a coloseum (sp??) they judge him like all the criminals. There are two doors in the arena portion, and the felon must open one door and there will either be a lady who will be immediately wed to him or a tiger to devour him. It ends as the guy opens the door. And that's where we picked up writing the story.
As I wrote the rough draft of my conclusion that we needed, I was watching a movie. The movie's title was GLADIATOR. Needless to say it turned into a gore fest. But not a the tiger lept at the man adn killed him gore fest. A play by hideous and disgusting play. Though I knew my mistake as I wrote it not that it mattered, tiger would go for you neck not you gut. Then as we had one of our peers go through and correct the grammatical errors, mine was the longest one. And while he was trying to finish reading it other people looked at it and caught just a few sentences of it. Every one was shocked. But you should have heard the dead silence when they got the teacher to read it out loud.

He tries to fight off the crazed beast but its looks like a crippled antelope trying to fight off a lion. He kept fighting despite it all. He was still alive when the beast tore into his stomach. The acid splashing on the tiger and all over himself including an eye. But the acid did not deter the beast it simply enraged it more.

We also had to write an one act play, a myth ( I did an end of the world myth for the Greeks, which was probably one of my best), and various other short stories. Most of my stories aren't as violent as the first one.

I have been working on a story of my own that has been changing since I started. It starts off at a high school were our main characters are first introduced. Then out of nowhere something hits the earth and very few people survive, less than a hundred through out the entire globe. Then we have the coping, learning, and mistakes of the small group we follow. Then one is out cast and then we find a stockpile of technology and the ones who destroyed the majority of the earth. But chances are the ending will change by the time I get done with the first part though.

It’s the first week of May, and Senioritis has struck our school. Seniors are already skipping school, even though they don’t graduate for two more weeks. But the main problem with Senioritis is that it affects more than just the seniors, the underclassmen catch it too. I can’t wait to get out myself, but I see no point in skipping school, that and my parents would string me alive. “Mr. Richards? Mr. Richards. MR. RICHARDS!”
“What? Oh, yes Ms. Ackerman?” Whoops, maybe I should have been paying attention.
“Adam, would you please tell me what the answer to number twelve is.”
“Uh, yes ma’am. The answer to number twelve is the square root of five times pi.”
“Correct.” Thank God. Geometry can be fun at times, but it can also be a hassle. Like doing proofs. Brrrrr. Proofs aren’t that hard, it’s just the hassle of explaining everything in elementary terms. Now let’s see, back to staring towards the window. Thankfully there are two things in that direction that I enjoy, there’s just the outdoors and then there’s Karen Summers. What I wouldn’t give just to get a smile from her. But, of course, I’m just a comic book nerd, smart guy, and generally nice guy. My problem is that girls, well at least girls at Hudson Valley High School, don’t notice that type of guy. Maybe instead of doing choir and drama I should have been in a sport, maybe then I would have gotten at least some attention.
 
I'm putting together a series of stories that are interconnected years after the war of the ring
The characters are:
Baldur a Knight of Gondor
Jarek a Knight in the Rohirrim
Kili II a dwarf who helped Gimli rebuild and protect the glittering caves of Aglarond
Koraga one of the last orcs
Arvel & Elrohim an elven couple who remained in middle Earth
Theoden Brandybuck & Faramir Took (Faramir is an actual character from the LOTR trilogy family tree as Pippin's son) two hobbits who are the main characters.
 
Interesting characters. What is the story outline and setting?

I have written severalstories over the years, and have co-written a few with my wife, and have adapted some RPs that I have been a part of into stories. Some were on Henneth Annun, but now reside on Archive Of Our Own. Also have a couple on Open Scrolls and Many Paths To Tread.
I'm still working on that. I've decided to change Baldur to Boromir II who is Faramir's son.

I'm also going to do a story based on either Elboron (Faramir's son) or Barahir (Faramir's grandson).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I used to write a lot; but being busy has prevented me from doing so. I consider myself a decent writer; not the worst, but not the best either. I also like to create my own worlds. Many that I have no idea what to do with! Like a modern fantasy setting that I have no characters for. (At the world building stage.) , but I am also working on a LOTRs abridged story. Full of Tolkeiner in jokes, Cracks at Shagrat's name, and other amusing acts. (Be warned, I have a Very dark sense of humor!)
 
About a year ago I wrote some short stories, I don't quite remember what it exactly was about.
All I can remember is that it was about elves and a great war. I should look through my notes to find back the story,
I'm getting curious about what I wrote
 
I write stories and poetry. Some are fantasy bc I have a very rich internal life and love living inside my head. It's a happier and safer place to be than the real world sometimes. I also paint and draw.

Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable enough to share here but right now I'm still a bit too shy.
 
I have just started writing my first book. It is an adventure novel very similar to Lord of the Rings and is based in a world similar to a medieval world. It is so early on that I haven't even come up with a name yet. The book is about a boy who has to travel across the world in order to retrieve an object of mystic value, any suggestions for a title??
Thanks
Felix:)
 
I wish everyone who creates stories, poems, art, etc in our beloved Tolkien's style much happiness and success in their endeavors.

Whether you're brave and publish and share your gifts with others or like me keep them close to your heart I wish you many more lovely fantastical adventures in the days ahead.
 
I have just started writing my first book. It is an adventure novel very similar to Lord of the Rings and is based in a world similar to a medieval world. It is so early on that I haven't even come up with a name yet. The book is about a boy who has to travel across the world in order to retrieve an object of mystic value, any suggestions for a title??
Thanks
Felix:)
That’s awesome, I’m doing something similar, only mine has a bit of the dark crystal thrown in as well. It’s about a girl who is trying to avenge her father who was killed by the villain. All the while unwittingly saving the world, and learning to control her hot temper. As this is going on she sees a strange world with many bizarre creatures.
 
Last edited:
I've often thought I'd like to write some Tolkien fanfic - one of these days. I don't have much time to write these days and I've been concentrating on my own constructed world and several stories set therein. The setting has a lot of conlangs, but though some people in it believe in magic, it doesn't have the kind of magic that current fantasy does. The technology level is more or less around 17th century European.

In fact, this spring I got my first story published. It's about 5000 words and is free to download and share. Here's a link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G7kewFukG98tKfsB91NdTAFcKbIKG8jk
 
I've often thought I'd like to write some Tolkien fanfic - one of these days. I don't have much time to write these days and I've been concentrating on my own constructed world and several stories set therein. The setting has a lot of conlangs, but though some people in it believe in magic, it doesn't have the kind of magic that current fantasy does. The technology level is more or less around 17th century European.

In fact, this spring I got my first story published. It's about 5000 words and is free to download and share. Here's a link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G7kewFukG98tKfsB91NdTAFcKbIKG8jk

Cool!, i've read a little bit of it, i like the names of the characters.

I'm writing something Tolkien related, but i need to gather as much information as possible to try and make it as legit and in-universe as possible, without screwing anything on the stablished lore; but expanding more on it more as well. Is not easy :D
 
Cool!, i've read a little bit of it, i like the names of the characters.

I'm writing something Tolkien related, but i need to gather as much information as possible to try and make it as legit and in-universe as possible, without screwing anything on the stablished lore; but expanding more on it more as well. Is not easy :D

I'm glad you like them!

About your writing, I expect the difficulty would vary depending on the scope of your planned story. Is the action in one place, or does it move around a lot?
 
I'm glad you like them!

About your writing, I expect the difficulty would vary depending on the scope of your planned story. Is the action in one place, or does it move around a lot?

The action is in one place, but it connects with the past and gives a hint on things to come in the future, past the fourth age. I'm not English native and i'm a total noob when it comes to writing so it's hard but fun!. The whole thing started with me thinking about possible scenes that would fill gaps on a Silmarillion movie, but after a while i was like "Wait a minute, this could be more, much more actually" lol. It's just that as i was writing, all these ideas started popping in my mind, so i'm taking it easy. Once i have the ideas written, not only i have to revise the text, but also have to make sure that it sounds like if Tolkien wrote it :D
 
I do, but mine are mostly fanfiction stories. In college, I once wrote an original story that was similar to Narnia about characters finding a gateway to another world. In my story, it was through a hole in my late grandmother's raspberry bushes that my cousins used to use as a fort. I wrote this story in lieu of keeping a journal when I was upgrading in college, since I find writing about your day incredibly dull and dreary, so I asked the teacher if I could write a story instead. I never finished it, and I didn't keep anything, so I couldn't rewrite it if I tried (since it's been so long that I can't remember enough about it, other than some character names and the plot).

The current fanfiction I'm working on is how Marida (my Hobbit OC) returns to Middle-earth after nearly a decade in the modern world. She got to the modern world through a "time portal" she found in an empty room in an abandoned section of Erebor after a fight with Thorin. The time portal looks like an ordinary oval mirror with strange markings all around it (which are emblems for all the different worlds one can travel to) and work on the emotional state (and secret wishes) of the user. When you're pulled into the "portal" or mirror section, you don't end up where the other one is located, but in the location you saw reflected in the portal. You can read about it here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14335054/1/Return-to-Middle-earth
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top